DVR and HD Receiver on same TV... worth it?

Wiggin78

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
Redding, CA
I am having Dish installed tomorrow and I am having them hook an 811 and a DVR to our HD TV. Does anyone else currently have this setup and if so how do you like it? :)

I currently am set up that way. I use my 811 via DVI for only HD stuff and my 508 via SVIDEO for everything else.

I think the 508 picture looks better on anything SD.

I too am set up this way. The 811 HD is connected through DVI and I have a 522 connected through component cables (I think) :p I only use the HD receiver for the HD channels, honestly I don't think I've ever watched a SD program on it.

I like it. It works for me.

Same here. 811 for HD and 508 for everything else. Also have a 501 in my family room that is connected to my second tv and my main HT system too. Lot's of viewing options. :)

NightRyder

Seems to be unanimous. I like to watch SD with my 510, and use the 811 exclusively for HD content. (Of which I'm asking for more...soon, please, pretty please).

508 and 6000

I have a 508 connected to the SVHS1 input on my HDTV, 6000 to the SVHS2 input for SD and component out to the 1080i input for HD. It works very well. When there are 2 programs on at the same time that we like, we record one on the 508 and watch the other on the 6000 via the component input for HD or the SVHS2 input for SD. The 6000 SD output to the SVHS2 input looks identical to the 508 input on SVHS1.

It appears that the 942 will do all of this and much more. It appears to be very appealing except for it's short lifetime with MPEG4 coming.

i also have this setup--i have an 811 and 510 on my big tv, and i also run the 510 to my second tv in a different room, so i can watch what i record on either tv and i only have to pay for 2 seperate receivers (instead of a 3rd in the second room) i use both receivers on the big tv depending what mood i am in...the 510 used to look better for SD, now i can't really say i see a difference

Yep, 6000 and 510 on same HDTV. Also works great for PIP. Great for football season when you can watch two games at the same time.

I have my 811 connected via component to my HDTV and only watch OTA Digital & HDTV on it. I don't even have it active on my account until there is more compelling content on Dish. I also have a ILO DVDRHD04 HDD / DVD recorder connected to the 811 so I can record from the 811 (in SD of course) and also pause live TV (Call it a poor man's 921 with a recordable DVD drive). I have my Dishplayer 7200 with (120GB HDD upgrade) connected via SVIDEO to the same TV to view all my Dish programming. Works great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts