DVR and Internet Phone Service - can it work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rhljp

Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
I am moving into a new home where I plan to use Vonage (voice over IP) phone service via earthlink cable internet. I then called D* to get a DVR on my plan, but in talking about the phone service, she said that DVR wouldn't work without a LAN line. Although she couldn't really explian why. Can anyone explain? Or does anyone know of a technology workaround for it? Thanks.

For those whose TiVo works with VOIP, is the TiVo connected directly to your VOIP box, or is your box connected to your home's telephone wiring? I got frustrated with the TiVo not being able to complete the daily call for over a month, so I moved the Vonage box downstairs [temporarily] and connected the TiVo directly to it (I have another ethernet switch downstairs). I was able to get a new list of dial-in numbers; I finally chose a New York City (212) number. The TiVo successfully downloaded and installed the 6.2 upgrade after doing so. I moved the Vonage box back upstairs, and it seems to still be working (as long as the dial-in number actually answers).

If you have vonage there is a new firmware upgrade for some of the linksys boxes that is suppossed to significantly help this problem and in somecases solve it completely.

UPDATE:

The TiVo wasn't consistently successfully connecting to "the mothership," so I made a serial PPP cable and connected it to a computer. Now I have a 100% success rate, of course. :)

Quick fix

We do 100-130 jobs a day, so we've seen a few of these obivously. Heres the easiest workaround available. Call Vonage. Tell them your connecting a fax machine. They will adjust the baud rate and it should work with no problems. We've had several that we fixed this way. Easy as pie and works every time. :cool:

To get mine to work properly (D* R10) I had to slow the modem down to 33.6, used a dsl filter in reverse (don't know why, or what it does.. but it helped me connect more often), and had vonage lower my packet something or another to .10. I have 9mbit cable internet and I can hit about 3mb a second download, 1mb upload rates - so bandwith is not a problem. I get a connect now about 90% of the time. If you have the linksys router (not the pap2) you can get a firmware update that REALLY helps it also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Trouble with my R10

Ladder 49 PPV 170 Alert: NOT Dolby Digital

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)