DVR and the multi switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dan Berndt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
The VOOM FAQ file says you have to have two satellite lines leading to the receiver if the receiver has a DVR. The installation diagram shows a multiswitch if you have more than two recievers on the VOOM dish. Since I have two VOOM receivers, if I upgrade to DVR, I will need four satellite feeds into the two receivers.

With my existing receivers, will I have to put the multiswitch by the dish and route two more coax cabLes through my house to the receivers or will I be able to put multiswitches by the receivers and not run the extra cable?

I've posted this question on several bulliten boards and I'm not getting any responses. Maybe answer to this question is too obvious for the satellite guys to think worth responding to but I'm just not that comfortable with it.

I did some research on my own. It looks like you might be able to put in a diplexer in the VOOM cable at the receiver and then put a satellite splitter in one side and an antenna splitter in the other to get the four in puts you need for the DVR. Since I've never tried this myself I'm not sure it will work.

If it's that easy you would think there would be a single device that both splits and diplexes. Maybe DVR units are not popular enough yet.

I do not know if the splitter will have enough power for both lines that are going to DVR receiver. That's the only problem.

Until it is tried, it';s impossible to give the trial and error answer to a hypothetical. On paper it will not work using splitters (even a sat splitter and a OTA splitter) because of Even/Odd and other issues (well the OTA part will work, but not the sat).

Dan Berndt said:
I've posted this question on several bulliten boards and I'm not getting any responses. Maybe answer to this question is too obvious for the satellite guys to think worth responding to but I'm just not that comfortable with it.

I did some research on my own. It looks like you might be able to put in a diplexer in the VOOM cable at the receiver and then put a satellite splitter in one side and an antenna splitter in the other to get the four in puts you need for the DVR. Since I've never tried this myself I'm not sure it will work.

If it's that easy you would think there would be a single device that both splits and diplexes. Maybe DVR units are not popular enough yet.

If Voom does not develop software to work with a 4 to 4 multi switch then there will be problems when the DVR comes out. I am a Dish Network customer from the beginning and also Voom. Dish has always done a fine job of getting the proper combination of switch and LNB's to view any of their satellites that you had to with as many receivers as a typical household would need.
Voom does not publicise their R and D efforts and tend to take advantage of off the shelf components for their hardware. I think they are probably asking themselves how they are going to accomplish the multi STB, multi satellite installs that are inevitably around the corner.
To give you the short answer you do not have a Voom DVR yet and you seem to be able to use all the STB's you are willing to pay the subscriptions for so what is your impatience of obtaining an answer for a problem that does not exist yet?
Drink a beer, relax a bit and take it a day at a time. I am positive when the time comes your DVR will work as promised and your bill for Voom will increase proportionately. :)

Indy said:
If Voom does not develop software to work with a 4 to 4 multi switch then there will be problems when the DVR comes out. I am a Dish Network customer from the beginning and also Voom. Dish has always done a fine job of getting the proper combination of switch and LNB's to view any of their satellites that you had to with as many receivers as a typical household would need.
Voom does not publicise their R and D efforts and tend to take advantage of off the shelf components for their hardware. I think they are probably asking themselves how they are going to accomplish the multi STB, multi satellite installs that are inevitably around the corner.
To give you the short answer you do not have a Voom DVR yet and you seem to be able to use all the STB's you are willing to pay the subscriptions for so what is your impatience of obtaining an answer for a problem that does not exist yet?
Drink a beer, relax a bit and take it a day at a time. I am positive when the time comes your DVR will work as promised and your bill for Voom will increase proportionately. :)

There are numerous people using a multiswitch (just like the direcTv) today. So this will not be a problem with the DVR or with any stb's that they currently have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts