DVR Case Cover

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Is it OK to remove the DVR case cover? I was thinking of removing it and either blow or vacuum the dust out. Does this void the warranty or is not allowed? Can Dish tell if the cover has been removed?

If you do it neatly without accidents, I don't think there is any way Dish can determine if you opened it or not. Have a care when vacuuming!

Alteration...
Define "alteration". No one, except Dish, would consider removing the cover to blow dust out to be an "alteration" to the receiver.

Excessive dust build-up could cause overheating and receiver failures. Swapping out a receiver can't be cheap for Dish to do, not to mention the inconvenience to the customer (losing DVR recordings, re-creating timers, etc). If a customer is willing to do this themselves -- I understand Dish support will NEVER suggest, even if it was okay -- it helps everyone.

Fan - Airforce

That's crazy. I've blown so many fans and never had a problem. (That's what she said, lol)
It actually can. Its more likely to damage an older fan ....

As for removing the cover .. there are no void stickers sealing the case closed and there does not appear to be any indication *inside* that the cover has been removed... this is of course my personal experience ... if they've since put in boobie-traps to help them ID people opening the case, you may be the first to find out.

I've no real fear of it, because I won't be damaging anything or removing the hard drive's warranty void sticker. (note to self, make sure to remove finger prints from interior cable assemblies) ;)

I should also say, that since I've had the cover off, I've not had a single instance of the fan going full bore racing engine high RPM. And I don't have my receiver sitting inside any thing.. it is sitting beside my TV on an open spot (flat screen so there's lots of room there now)... and that's why I removed the cover in the first place.. had the full speed fan happen several times in nights of normal use ... where it would come on full blast till reset.. drove me nuts.. not any more..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts