DVR Fastforward through commercials?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

descottzz

Original poster
May 16, 2005
Greetings everyone!

I just got Directv with the R10 DVR, which I am enjoying very much.

One question, though: it seems like there should be a better way to fast forward through commercials than just using the fast forward feature, then banging on the "back 8 seconds" key.

I heard rumblings that there might be some kind of unpublished but well known key combination to fast forward a set time, or until the black frame is encountered. Is that true? Or do I just have to keep using the brute force method?

Thanks!

Dave

FF1 (one arrow) will NOT compensate for the over-shooting. FF2 and FF3 will try to compensate for the over-shooting and start playing from some time back. I use FF2 and FF3 mostly.

There is a code for 30-second skip (I forgot the sequence) that will enable the hidden/unsupported feature until the box reboots. However, personally, I find FF2 and FF3 to be more useful and easier to use.

Hope that helps.

Hong.

http://www.tivofaq.com/

"There is a unofficial, undocumented way to turn on 30 second skip. This will turn the "skip to end" (->|) button into 30 second skip. To try it, enter the following sequence of buttons: Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select. Entering the code works best while watching a recorded show. The code will toggle 30 second skip off/on so enter it again to switch back if you don't like it. Also, after any reboot, the button will revert to original standard functionality."

This was the one and only feature I initially missed when I left Dish -- that is, until I learned about the Tivo 30 second skip feature you mentioned.

One of the things I don't like about Directivo is the way it tries to compensate for you and take you back to where it thinks you wanted it to stop when you're using the X2 or X3 FF. I HATE it! I wish there was a way I could disable it.

Thanks for the info

Thanks, Scottie, for the information. This is a real improvement.[

"There is a unofficial, undocumented way to turn on 30 second skip. This will turn the "skip to end" (->|) button into 30 second skip. To try it, enter the following sequence of buttons: Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select. Entering the code works best while watching a recorded show. The code will toggle 30 second skip off/on so enter it again to switch back if you don't like it. Also, after any reboot, the button will revert to original standard functionality."[/QUOTE]

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts