DVR fee replaced by Hopper fee on new bill

Dish officers all have a low salary compared to their colleagues, but Ergan gives them stock in the company to make-up for the relatively low salary. Of course they have windows when they are allowed to sell (or not) the stock to reap the $$ closer to industry salaries. This is form of "payment/income" is often used by smaller companies such as Dish and Echostar because they really can't afford the $34 million CEO salaries and slightly less for all the officers. This also puts even more pressure on the company to focus on stock price.

You guys do some research on Mr. Ergen and tell me he doesn't earn what he makes. The guy started from scratch and did amazing things for the pay TV industry. He's an innovator and even though he could easily sell off the entire company like most people do, just look at DirecTV, he instead keeps on working on the future and trying to make pay TV better.

If you all just think Charlie is in this just to make as much money as possible I think you are foolish. I really think he does it because he loves it and it's his passion.

I don't think the "lining the pockets" comments were aimed at Charlie in particular, but the general CEO mindset. I've seen many CEOs take a 3-year stint with a company, run it into the ground, and walk away with millions.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I don't think the "lining the pockets" comments were aimed at Charlie in particular, but the general CEO mindset. I've seen many CEOs take a 3-year stint with a company, run it into the ground, and walk away with millions.

Is that what you feel is happening with Dish now?

This. Not necessarily Dish's CEO, who knows, but also the content providers' CEOs.

Dish fee names are all semantics... they charge what they think the market will bear and call it whatever is most plausible/sellable as value added.

Reactions: stardust3
It's simply a name change. And, for what it's worth, it's not really consistent with how the fees show for VIP model receivers. Not saying it's good or bad, but the fees themselves haven't changed. A couple of examples:

Customer #1 has VIP equipment. He has a 722K and a 211K, powering 3 televisions. His fees will be;

$7 DVR Service Fee
$7 Solo HD receiver.

The first receiver is "free", and the customer gets charged a $7 DVR fee if they have that single 722K, or if they had five of them. Admittedly, if they did have five 722K receivers, they'd pay a $7 DVR service fee, a $17 Duo DVR, $17 Duo DVR, $17 DuoDVR, and $17 Duo DVR.

Customer #2 has a Hopper and two Joeys.

Old bill:
$12 DVR service fee
$7 Joey
$7 Joey

New Bill:
$12 Hopper receiver
$7 Joey
$7 Joey

Customer #3 has two Hoppers and 1 Joey

Old bill:
$12 DVR service fee
$12 Hopper (Hopper #2)
$7 Joey

New Bill:
$12 Hopper (Hopper #1)
$12 Hopper (Hopper #2)
$7 Joey

Ohhh, and NOW...the name is changed back to DVR Service Fee, starting with bills that generate in a few days (can't remember the exact date). So, consider it a very brief change, Dish saw the light, and changed it back.

Disclaimer, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)