Dvr Fees Going Up!

Dishrich,
I am with ya dude. I emailed Charlie yesterday and wrote exactly that. How come if you care about unfair price increases for your customers, you don't decrease prices when channels disapear for ever, like OLN and CNNFN. Well CNNFN may no longer exists but he could have kept CNNI. One other post in this thread mentioned the picture quality, I also put that in the letter to Charlie that the picture quality is getting worse, we are losing channels and you want to raise our fees.

Last edited:
Through all of this commotion, nobody has mentioned wether the 501/508 units will still continue to be free. Scott, whats your sense of this?

dishrich

And I have a LOT more channels today than what I signed up for. E* has added more than it has dropped.

Sure, there are instances where some other provider is cheaper, but E* is probably cheaper more often. But not by much, at least as comparing satcos. Probably still cheaper than most cablecos.

and as far as $$ when channels get dropped/added, remember the subscriber agreement lets them change programming AT WILL.

Odd having just heard from a call center worker who reports RETENTION is TOP PRIORITY.

Nickel and diming to death doesnt help retention.............

Bob Haller said:
Odd having just heard from a call center worker who reports RETENTION is TOP PRIORITY.
Nickel and diming to death doesnt help retention.............

but it does help the business, and thats exactly what echostar )Dish network ) is a business!

navychop said:
dishrich

And I have a LOT more channels today than what I signed up for. E* has added more than it has dropped.

Sure, there are instances where some other provider is cheaper, but E* is probably cheaper more often. But not by much, at least as comparing satcos. Probably still cheaper than most cablecos.

Sorry but it's completely false in my case. I've signed up when The Best DBS Provider Ever, Voom DBS went dark and the word was from Echostar that they will carry all the 21 channels.
Well, lemmesee:
- it seems took more than 6 months to add 5 and reach 15,
- and now they ARE NOT HIGH DEFINITION channels anymore
- in the meantime I lost CNNi and others (which I don't care, to be honest),
- they are charging the same for DVR and this BS mirroring crap than the sh!tty TWCNYC, despite the fact
- that I OWN my equipment, I paid for it, unlike in case of cable.

SO tell me, how much Kool-Aid should I drink to call the imminent price hike fair after all this crap we've got from Dish, huh?

PS: I have a strong feeling when Verizon reaches Brooklyn (apart from Long Island, it's already testing in Staten Island and getting ready for that in Queens), I'll drop Dish once and forever. This is just ridiculous, to charge $10 extra for a single SD DVR which I OWN. Godd*** greedy bastards. :mad:

Last edited:
T2k said:
Sorry but it's completely false in my case. I've signed up when The Best DBS Provider Ever, Voom DBS went dark and the word was from Echostar that they will carry all the 21 channels.
Well, lemmesee:
- it seems took more than 6 months to add 5 and reach 15,
- and now they ARE NOT HIGH DEFINITION channels anymore
- in the meantime I lost CNNi and others (which I don't care, to be honest),
- they are charging the same for DVR and this BS mirroring crap than the sh!tty TWCNYC, despite the fact
- that I OWN my equipment, I paid for it, unlike in case of cable.

SO tell me, how much Kool-Aid should I drink to call the imminent price hike fair after all this crap we've got from Dish, huh?

PS: I have a strong feeling when Verizon reaches Brooklyn (apart from Long Island, it's already testing in Staten Island and getting ready for that in Queens), I'll drop Dish once and forever. This is just ridiculous, to charge $10 extra for a single SD DVR which I OWN. Godd*** greedy bastards. :mad:
by your definition (not 1920x1280) they were never hidefinition on Voom either!!

I do not think Dish Network is working hard enough on the churn issue. It is extremely extremely hard for me to believe that it is their top priority with how they are handelling it and for several reasons. For one its the way they treat their customers. For another its how they try to charge a $15 shipping fee and a DVR fee PER RECEIVER!!!!! Then you got the audit team. That falls under the customer treatment area. I could keep going on and on and on.

I wonder if this recent spate of programming and now DVR increases is for the purpose of quickly raising revenue to make E* attractive for a buy out. Is Ergen going to quickly attempt to increase profits (short term, before the mass exodus by overcharged current subscribers) to make E* appear more desirable to a business suitor. What say you all ?

This is my first post here - I hope I dont offend any one. It seems to me E* on a self destruct mode . I really like DISH's equipment especially the super dish that heldup during Hurricane Katrina - Living in New Orleans is quite an achievement and having TV when every one else is dark is sweet. However with I am reading in these posts about raising fees on DVR.... It seems no one is at the helm that would manuver some customer preception issues....
  • Audit team making the honest customers feel like their theives. Really now - when does a service company call their customers and audit them
  • HD lite issues with VOOM and other channels.
  • Pulling channels with out notce and then having public spitting matches with companies like Lifetime and others to keep fees level.... Really that brings me to the next issue
  • Raising fees for programming and rumors of DVR's fee increase for me a 5 or more dollar raise in my bill
  • Not having a clear HD / MPEG 4 rollout plan. Direct seems on track
  • Customer Service reps that are not always on the ball and we have play CSR roulette. Happens to me all the time.
    Your thoughts...

Last edited:
Much as I hate Comcast, I have to admit that they are looking more attractive all the time. One can't forget the $10/month savings on cable internet w/ a cable TV subscription. With the expected increases in E* rates and fees, my monthly bill would be pretty close to the same as a similar Comcast bill. Add to that the $700 cost of an E* HD-DVR and a couple of hundred for a switch upgrade to use it, and E* becomes the TV that sucks...all your money.

hopefully they'll raise the DVR fee only on models that have NBR and call it another enhancement

Been with these guys less then a year and they suck. All they seem to do is raise costs and give little in new HD channels.. If they did not have VOOM I would not even have them.

Remove Rumor for the headlines. I can now confirm that there will in fact be an increase. I just got a retailer's facts blast stating that it is going from $4.98 to $5.98 (sounds like the price might be off by one penny) and I got some other new information as well in which I may post in additional threads.

I have the AEP so it doesn't affect me (at least I hope it doesn't) but that does suck for folks with anything less than that package. It wouldn't be so bad though if they raised the rate by $1 but made it so that it was per account instead of per DVR.

I just don't get it, we get charged more money for alot less service these days. I have the AT60 package because it is the cheapest and has all the channels I like, but now they are adding more channels that I will never watch and making me pay for those and now my wifes channel Lifetime has been yanked from the air and now I have to pay more money for DVR service. Give me a Break Dishnetwork!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts