Dvr Fees Going Up!

navychop said:
It's called inflation. Prices on most items go up. Why the great heartburn over satellite fees going up? The price increase isn't far from the cost of living index and seems to be less than cable increases in most areas.

That is a good point that is missing from most of these type of threads. No one realizes that it is the FED that is the real thief. They print lots of new money on a regular basis, making all the existing money worth less, and people complain when businesses raise prices to cover the lost value of the money they get.

(Though you also have a large argument about whether a mere "paper currency" is really worth anything at all. Right now, it only has value because people believe it has value....)

Dish may be greedy, but ultimately it is inflation that is eating away at things.

Brad

Then add deflation (loss of value) to the inflation (rise in the cost of living) then we're in really bad shape.

What about those that pay no DVR fees now with their 501, 508, and 721 receivers but get forced to upgrade to the MPEG-4 receivers in the future? I imagine we will then have to pay the fee.

is someone with a 501/508 going to have to upgrade ? i thought mpeg 4 was only being used on HD channels ? I have 2 of these so was wondering if i was more impacted than i thought.

one of my options was i would replace one of my 501's with my 942 and then lease a new 622 or whatever for my HD.

Inflation has nothing to do with this. If they wanted to charge extra for the next wave of DVR's we'd understand, but to charge more for boxes we already have is absurd. We haven't received any new features to the boxes. We're paying a dollar more for NO ADDED BENEFITS. That's our issue.

Justify the fee, that's all we're asking for here and it isn't really unreasonable...

They justify the fee increase because they know we'll pay it, plain and simple. If a substantial number of subscribers decided to switch providers or switch to non-DVR receivers they wouldn't up the fee -- but they know that won't happen.

Dish can get rid of the no fee dvrs easy, just refuse to fix them when the hard drive fails, by the time they get ready to switch SD to mpeg4 most of the no fee dvrs will be long dead.

The price increases can be much more than inflation depending on what you have, the at60 increase is 11% and the dvr fee is a 20% increase. The 4% is the average across all dish increases.

The DVR fee and the locked hard drive are among the reasons I never upgraded from the 508 and probably will never buy another dish dvr.

Imagine those with the 501, 508, and 721 receivers that will have to pay a DVR fee once they go to the new HD MPEG-4 ViP (Video Internet Protocal) DVR's.

So I see all this whining going on: "A dollar increase without any added benefit" and "they can't justify the extra $1 fee".

E* didn't raise the DVR fee (the lowest in the industry) when they added DISH on Demand functionality to 625's. They also left the fee alone when adding Name-based-recording, DISH Pass, and other improved search/recording features.

And before I hear, "I didn't get those updates because I have a 5xx receiver," let me remind you that you AREN'T paying a DVR fee so don't whine about it! Yes, eventually you will need to upgrade to a MPEG-4 receiver but that is still years down the road.

Geesh! Sorry to be so harsh but after reading the previous posts I needed to vent.

iceondsom said:
So I see all this whining going on: "A dollar increase without any added benefit" and "they can't justify the extra $1 fee".
E* didn't raise the DVR fee (the lowest in the industry) when they added DISH on Demand functionality to 625's. They also left the fee alone when adding Name-based-recording, DISH Pass, and other improved search/recording features.
And before I hear, "I didn't get those updates because I have a 5xx receiver," let me remind you that you AREN'T paying a DVR fee so don't whine about it! Yes, eventually you will need to upgrade to a MPEG-4 receiver but that is still years down the road.
Geesh! Sorry to be so harsh but after reading the previous posts I needed to vent.
510 user are paying the fee, and all they get is some extra disk space.

iceondsom said:
Yep, I meant to type 50x.
My points still stand :)
partially.
the 510 has the fee and I assume will get the increase in price and still has none of the added benefits you mentioned.

Yeah dude, you have NO point, thanks for sharing...

501/508 people don't have room to complain and I don't believe they are...

Everyone else who's effected by this are complaining. If E* added some great feature to the 625's, charge those users the extra dollar but don't charge everybody. It's illogical.

The increase has NOTHING to do with the 625.

The 625 VoD feature exists SOLELY to put extra money into E*'s pockets, and I'm quite sure the software was paid for within a couple of months of being introduced.

And the fee being "lowest in industry" ONLY applies if you have just one DVR.

P.S. I have a 921 I paid $1000 for, have not received ANY of the SEVERAL promised enhancements, and am still stuck with the fee. :mad:

Nope the 411 and ViP211 require $49.99 lease fee and 942 requires a $250 lease fee.

625 is just a 522 receiver with VOD that takes 3 weeks to load 7+ movies on initial setup (mine did at least and the 3 Dish Infomercials it loaded into my recording space). Rather have the space those 7 movies use for my recordings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)