DVR fees?!?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
People just do stupid things to try to save a buck. I always look at it like this, what is the big deal about spending an extra $10 per month?

You go out to Lunch and its an easily $10, Two Gallons of Gas is almost $10, there are so many things people waste their money on every month, yet its impossible for some people to see getting a DVR,

These are the same people that call threatening to cancel if they do not get something FREE. Sign of the times- feeling of entitlement. What ever happened to having to work for the things you want? What ever happened to you get what you pay for?

There is a reason the "Absolute is ending" thread is still going on. It is laughable that people say "all my credits are ending so I am leaving if they won't do anything".

We own all our equipment, self install, and have gotten absolutely nothing from dish. However, our system is exactly the way we want it and everyone is HAPPY. It stinks that there is never anything to watch and most of our programming comes from our locals. Dropping from AT250 would save a whopping $20/mo and it is just not worth it considering the amount of channels that would be lost.

Cannot wait for a la carte to become a reality:

TV À La Carte: The Movement to Pick Your Own Programming

SAT radio does it!!

SAT radio does it!!

We have different definitions of a la carte. SAT radio's version is $x gets you all channels, $x-y gives you a different bundle for slightly less $. Sounds a lot like Dish's current package options doesn't it. Imagine if Pizza Hut's a la carte toppings were package 1.:peppers, sausage, onions, olives. Package 2.: onions, mushrooms, extra cheese. Only want extra cheese? Sorry, wer'e not able to offer that.

Not really a la carte, is it?

Claude Greiner said:
Yes, if Dish or Directv offered the DVR for Free and didn't charge a DVR Fee they would probably sign up customers left and right and everyone would get a DVR.

You got to consider that DVR's cost satellite and cable companies more money to manufacture, and you got the ongoing maintaince issues because the hard drives do go bad and need to eventually be replaced.

The people on this board are tech savvy, and see the value in spending money upfront to save money on an ongoing basis.

I have been selling satellite for 14 years, and I can tell you from experence that 90% of the customers out there will not spend any money out of pocket unless they absolutly have to. All they want to hear is free free free.

Almost every customer on this board I sell to requests an HD/DVR with their installation. Typical customer calls me on the phone, and we are at about 60% who get DVR's. I had a lady yesterday who got Directv and wanted (2) TV's with HD. I have to fight with her for 2 hours, because when you don't get DVR with Directv they charge $99 for the second HD receiver.

So the option was get a DVR, spend $10 per month and we can upgrade both TV's to HD for Free, or spend $99 and get just HD on both TV's.

Ofcourse she wanted both TV's with (2) HD receivers for Free, and you just can't do that configuration for free on Directv with their current promotions.

Then I had to hear that she tried ordering Directv a month ago and they offered her 2 HD receivers for free and didn't require her to get the DVR. I knew darn well she was lying to me to try to get a deal, or she was sold a DVR and she didn't know it.

People just do stupid things to try to save a buck. I always look at it like this, what is the big deal about spending an extra $10 per month?

You go out to Lunch and its an easily $10, Two Gallons of Gas is almost $10, there are so many things people waste their money on every month, yet its impossible for some people to see getting a DVR,

I agree to a point. The problem is a lot of folks don't have $99 to put down for tv service. I just filled my tacoma this morning cost $67.00. Groceries keep going up etc...
I'm not complaining at all but when you look at how we are all nickle and dimed its a lot of cash. I pay $72 a year for dvr, $120 a year just to have the 2 electric meters on the house, $0.05 deposit on every beer or soda bottle and all theshreded plastic and most of the crushed bottles go to landfills anyway. It goes on and on.
The problem is the advertising. Sure there may be small print but lets face it its small for a reason. When i read upgrade to a hd dvr for free i read no additional charges, but I learned a long time ago that most deals are not really deals and you have to read the fine print and ask questions. The "Mad Men" know full well most people don't ask questions and don't read the fine print. They also are not the ones who actually deal with irate customers. So it is what it is...

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

I don't believe that will ever happen.

me neither.

too bad FTA has lost so many channels. For a long time OTA + G18 was a great alternative. Tried the tivo route, but ended up back here with dish.

You wanna talk about DVR fees... TIVO... .....

The HD Free for Life is available with autopay or a $99 one-time fee to avoid paying the $10/mo HD fee. I wish they would do something similar for the DVR fee, like a one-time $99 fee. I would gladly pay that to save money on DVR fees in the long term. It would be another potential way to reduce churn (but we all know they don't care about that).

There are several threads where we all complained about the DVR fee. DVR is a function of the box.

Apparently the guide and other features is what dish uses to justify this unjust fee.

I'd say forcing certain business models promising something for nothing or hiding real costs (i.e., a free OS preloaded or DVR guide in perpetuity) on customers has more to do with entrenching an "entitlement mentality" in them than does a lack of personal responsibility.

BTW, $10 or $20 a month is real money to me.

Why is it that no one considers the upfront costs involved? Dish fronts the cost of the dish, the install, the receivers etc.

When they launch a new satellite, they don't charge every subscriber for the costs of construction and launch. They amortize these costs over time.

This is a business, and they are in this to make a profit. I'd like the fees to be lower too, but appreciate the very real costs in delivering the service above and beyond the monthly per subscriber fees that dish has to pay out to their various content providers.

if you don't want the monthly dvr fees, then the programming prices will have to go up. either that or you'll have to buy all your receivers outright with no subsidy.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
shouldnt have had to pay for HD. If you were a current D* sub and had auto pay it was free
Equipment fees? I assume you had more than 1 receiver with Directv and now dont with Dish?

Free HD for life is for new customers only. You're right about my situation with equipment fees. The difference being Dish's 1 receiver can feed our 2 TVs (one of which is SD) and D* doesn't have that option.

I remember when dish didn't charged per dvr box fees as long as you are subed to everything pack....plus with box connected to Internet / phone each additional box was $7

A lot of subs used to have dual tuners dvr boxes then like 3. When dish chained their pricing model...quite a lot of them realized they don't need them.

Just saying that their are pros & cons to every pricing model. Business pics the one that makes them the most money. Here in PR onelink charges almost $20 for each hddvr (outdated SA one)

Free HD for life is for new customers only. You're right about my situation with equipment fees. The difference being Dish's 1 receiver can feed our 2 TVs (one of which is SD) and D* doesn't have that option.
That's not true. Old customers get it too.
I know I have it.

Why is it that no one considers the upfront costs involved? Dish fronts the cost of the dish, the install, the receivers etc.

When they launch a new satellite, they don't charge every subscriber for the costs of construction and launch. They amortize these costs over time.

This is a business, and they are in this to make a profit. I'd like the fees to be lower too, but appreciate the very real costs in delivering the service above and beyond the monthly per subscriber fees that dish has to pay out to their various content providers.

if you don't want the monthly dvr fees, then the programming prices will have to go up. either that or you'll have to buy all your receivers outright with no subsidy.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Some of us own our equipment and install it ourselves.

It has been researched and tried over and over, and quite frankly in the US free upfront and fees later sells in the US. That is why you get your cell phone for a discount but more than pay for it with costly service in a 2 year contract.

In Europe things are a bit different, but in the USA nothing sells like no money down...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)