DVR for OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kittyhas1000legs

That's a lot of claws!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Western Slope, CO
I was going through my pile of recorded shows and it got me wondering: what do you guys (and gals) use to record OTA shows? I have my computer set up as our DVR, and it uses the TV for the monitor. It's a pretty good setup so far, but I was wondering what other options there might be.

My setup:
-AMD Phenom II X4 955 CPU, 3.2GHz
-8GB RAM
-nVidia GeForce 9600GT 1GB
-Windows 7 Pro running Windows Media Center to watch/record OTA
-too many hard drives, using a 2TB Samsung drive for backup and TV recordings
-32" 720p Sylvania-branded tv, manufactured by Funai (native resolution 1366x768)
-Hauppauge WinTV HVR-950q USB tuner, supports NTSC/ATSC/ClearQAM
-cheap VHF/UHF antenna from Ocean State Job Lot for $20, don't remember the brand

Also, does anyone have recommendations for editing the .wtv files that WMC records? Apparently it's a proprietary Microsoft format. I could use the WinTV software to record regular MPEG files, but it's flaky at best.

I use a TiVo. Nice prepackaged option, can find them on ebay with lifetime, the series 3 ones you can replace the HD pretty easy to get a lot of recording time.

I was using both a Sony DHG HDD250 and a DTV Pal Dvr for OTA, but just the Pal now since Rovio listings are no longer available as of last week for the Sony. I got a lot of use out of it. I hate to get rid of working equipment, but since Rovio is no longer providing listings it is nothing more than a glorified tuner now. May have to be on the look out for another Pal dvr now.

So are there any other OTA DVR dual tuner devices out there besides the Channel Master 7400 for North America?

Owner of a recently dead Dishpal DVR Echostar TR50.

Can something like the Dish DuoDVR® ViP 722k be used in OTA mode without a subscription?

Nope. It won't work without a dish connected, and DISH will periodically send out a signal to disable it.

As mentioned earlier, a used TIVO HD or Premiere/Premiere XL with lifetime is a definite option, and the one I use.

The big issue with an OTA DVR is obtaining the guide data.

So are there any other OTA DVR dual tuner devices out there besides the Channel Master 7400 for North America?

Owner of a recently dead Dishpal DVR Echostar TR50.

See if you can pick up a cheap used TiVo HD on ebay with lifetime subscription activated on it. They are dual tuner and with lifetime no monthly fees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts