DVR issues with HR34

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PHXHoward

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
PHX
Hi everybody. I'm writing because I hope to get some tips on how to help my mother deal with DirecTV. She has an HR34 DVR. Each morning when she wakes up and turns on the TV, the receiver tells her that it has lost its signal. She has to unplug then re-plug in the DVR and then go through the self checks and satellite checks before she can watch TV. It will maintain its signal throughout the day but the next morning it will again indicate that it has no signal and require an unplug. The HR34 DVR has been giving her problems for a few months now. It takes many seconds to change channels, open the TV guide, and even has delays in fast forwarding and rewinding recorded programs. I encouraged her to call DirecTV when she first experienced slowness. The agent on the phone apologized and said that they know about the problem with her DVR but that there was nothing that could be done. They said that they would take her name down and notify her when the problem is fixed. It seems that these problems are bad enough to get a technician to look at her system. I feel sad that she is having so many problems with her TV experience and want to do what I can to help.

I know that people are posting that DirecTV has replaced their HR34s. I'm afraid that if she calls a second time that she will again end up without help. She is still within her two year commitment so I don't think that they feel compelled to help her. Are there any alternate contact numbers or methods to get service? She is retired and really enjoys watching TV. Tonight she told me that she just wants to drop the service because it is so frustrating.

DirecTV is now replacing HR34s with HR44s. She needs to call and say her HR34 is shutting down for no reason, and then insist they replace it.
Can you be with her when she calls?

She was about to call them again but then there was an update sent to her HR34 which has fixed the problems. The UI is now responsive and the receiver does not need to be power cycled in the morning.

She was about to call them again but then there was an update sent to her HR34 which has fixed the problems. The UI is now responsive and the receiver does not need to be power cycled in the morning.
I'm glad her HR34 is working better, but honestly, don't expect it to last. Directv will replace it with an HR44 if you call and tell them it's shutting down, like texasbrit suggested.

Status
Please reply by conversation.