DVR Not Functioning Properly

garlandtxuser

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Garland, Texas
OK, I might come across as the complainer here, but has anyone else had a problem with the HD DVR not allowing a show to rewind while in live mode. I am watching America Funniest Home Videos on ABC in HD and I went to rewind a clip that I had just seen and I get the famous circle with a line through it in the top righ of the screen. This is not the first time I have had this problem, but it is now getting really annoying.

The software engineers have had plenty of time now to 'fix' these cheap Motorola boxes and we are still having little annoying problems. Now, I have to admit, maybe it's me, but I never has this problem with ANY of the other services that I have used to include: Comcast Cable, Dish Network, Voom. Even on friends Direct TV recievers I have never experienced problems like this. What gives? Anyone??

You can't rewind after you turn off the power or switch to another channel. The DVR resets the buffer the instant you change the channel or switch to another video feed. Moreover, the buffer on HD channels is only ~15 minutes.

You can't rewind after you turn off the power or switch to another channel. The DVR resets the buffer the instant you change the channel or switch to another video feed. Moreover, the buffer on HD channels is only ~15 minutes.

I think I may not have been specific enough. I was in the middle of an HD show. Box was not rebooted I was just watching and wanted to show my wife a clip that I had just seen. I hit the rewind button and it immediatly displayed the circle with a line through it indicating that it could not rewind. I get this a lot lately.

I have had the same rewind problem on my other SD box. Seems like most times it works but some times it does not. Usually when I want to show something or my wife wants to see something again is when it breaks. I am sure you can imagine the stress that brings me.:(

In addition, I cannot record On Demand movies most of the time. I kow, sounds a little redundant to want to record something that is on demand to me, but that's my preference.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but why can't VZ provide hardware and software a nice as that provided by Dish or Direct. VZ is a better company with much more resources and a lot bigger availability to buy ratio (means when they enter a market they are most likely to win a subscriber than the other companies). I understand that the offering is cheaper (aka. costs less), but there has to be some costs assocaited with bad product in relation to dissatisfied customers in terms of lost customers and angry calls to the help desk. My wife is really getting on me about some of the little differences (for lack of better terminology). I am afraid that if these little differences, bugs, glithces, or technical challanges are not worked out she will force me to switch back. I would really hate to do that since I really believe in the offering, but she is much more important to me than television.

I can record OnDemand to DVD. And using DVD-RAM I get DVR like functions such as chasing playback. Though ever since switching to FiOS I've been disappointed in the picture quality of the DVD recordings. It didn't bother me with DirecTV since the DirecTV picture was already bad. But with FiOS I'd rather put up with the limited OnDemand navigation in exchange for a better picture. The only thing that really bugs me is when resume is not available and I have to fast forward at 7x to get back to where I left off. Why they don't offer faster speeds of fast forward I don't know?

Occasionally I've noticed the problem of not being able to rewind from live tv. Just use the skip back function when this happens and I've found it to work again.

Maybe part of our problem with the software is that it's Microsoft's. I agree, with a company as big and wealthy as Verizon it should be better. On the flip side, look how far they've come in a short time compared to the years of the competition. They HAVE continued to update and fix issues, so it should get nothing but better IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)