New Fios Customer with Scientific Altanta Remote Problem

Richt

Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Just had the Fios installed and they gave me these Universal Electronic AT8550 remotes not the Motorola remotes. I have a problem trying to use the skip back or LIVE buttons. They do not work! The volume button works to increase the volume but will change the Input of the TV if you try to turn the volum down. Also none of the PIP buttons work. I have a new Toshiba Plasma TV and all worked fine with the Brighthouse Scientific Atlanta 8300HD boxes and remotes. So I called Fios customer support and they walked me through a few tests but the remote still does not work properly. So I asked for a replacement remote like the Motorola unit but was told that Verizon does not support the remotes!!!? She told me they were out of the Motorola remotes so they included these SA remotes free! WOW am I the lucky one! Remotes that do not work properly and if I wanted a tech dispatched it would cost me a service call! I made a direct call into the Verizon installer for him to come back by and look at this problem. Anyone have this issue with the Motorola QIP6416-2 STB and SA remotes?

Thanks

Rich

PIP functionality is not enabled on any Motorola box from any cable provider.

I don't have a Scientific Atlanta remote so I don't know about the Live / Replay buttons.

Just had the Fios installed and they gave me these Universal Electronic AT8550 remotes not the Motorola remotes. I have a problem trying to use the skip back or LIVE buttons. They do not work! The volume button works to increase the volume but will change the Input of the TV if you try to turn the volum down. Also none of the PIP buttons work. I have a new Toshiba Plasma TV and all worked fine with the Brighthouse Scientific Atlanta 8300HD boxes and remotes. So I called Fios customer support and they walked me through a few tests but the remote still does not work properly. So I asked for a replacement remote like the Motorola unit but was told that Verizon does not support the remotes!!!? She told me they were out of the Motorola remotes so they included these SA remotes free! WOW am I the lucky one! Remotes that do not work properly and if I wanted a tech dispatched it would cost me a service call! I made a direct call into the Verizon installer for him to come back by and look at this problem. Anyone have this issue with the Motorola QIP6416-2 STB and SA remotes?

Thanks

Rich
Skip back is one of many features that is not available on the Motorola devices. :mad: Live mode should work.:eek: As Ken stated, PIP is also not supported.:mad:

I might try a suggestion for the VZ guys and gals reading here. Seems a lot of attention is being paid to the fact that you have choosen the Motorola devices. Now, I will admit that I work for a competitor of Motorola in another division but it has no influence on what I think about their set top boxes. Even though their cell phones are crap, perhaps they make a set top box that is not, but from where I stand the set top boxes they sell to VZ as just as bad as their mobil phones. Lots of initial flash but no real meat and very cheap components inside. So, here is my, possibly biased slightly, opinion. Why not contact SA, Pioneer, and some of the other providers and see about making a deal with them. I highly recommend Pioneer. I don't work for them so I have no confilct. I just know that the make a good box. Same for SA. Just get away from Motorola. Their products are cheap and they make anyone selling/renting them look cheap.

Just had the Fios installed and they gave me these Universal Electronic AT8550 remotes not the Motorola remotes.

If you really want a Moto remote, I was going to tell you you can order a Moto DRC800 remote that will work on any of their digital boxes - BUT it appears you CAN'T order them anymore from their website. :mad: :eek:

I just ordered one a few months ago, to use in place of an Insight-branded remote that I didn't think was too great. The moto works it perfectly & it was only $20.

You also might try e-bay - I also bought a couple of the older DRC450 digital cable remotes for only about $15 brand new.

Last edited:
Verizon FiOS DVRs do support skip back (instant replay). I'm not sure why it doesn't work on your Scientific Atlanta remote.

Do you have a universal remote like a Logitech Harmony? That would eliminate the problem.

Why not contact SA, Pioneer, and some of the other providers and see about making a deal with them.
They've already contacted SA. They were evaluating some SA boxes at one point...and perhaps they still are.

FiOS is considering all of its options for their next-generation box. If they've made a final decision on that (I have no idea), they haven't publicly announced it.

They've already contacted SA. They were evaluating some SA boxes at one point...and perhaps they still are.

FiOS is considering all of its options for their next-generation box. If they've made a final decision on that (I have no idea), they haven't publicly announced it.

Thanks Ken. You always provide timely information. Please keep us informed.

I know you just want a remote that works at no cost, but I would suggest you drop $13 bucks for the OneForAll remote (I think the 6 device one on Amazon) and not only will you have a better layout, but also the skip back AND the skip forward function!
It skips up about 24 seconds and reminds me of the Tivo skip up. I wish it was 30 seconds, but I can't complain too much... oh, and by the way- it works out of the box for the Fios DVR (and Sony tv is you have that).

Many questions from someone about to switch from Dish

DVR Not Functioning Properly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)