DVR Not Working

Maybe now would be a good time for you to upgrade to the new Carbon interface? :biggrin
I have 2 hopper with sling receivers both running the S544 software and I do not have any problems. If the software was the problem why do I not have any problems? Plus I don't have to unplug my disk drives to get the new guide to work. And I did not have to delete any timers. I continually read about problems with the new interface and don't see any problems with my units.

Sent from my KFGIWI using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have 2 hopper with sling receivers both running the S544 software and I do not have any problems. If the software was the problem why do I not have any problems? Plus I don't have to unplug my disk drives to get the new guide to work. And I did not have to delete any timers. I continually read about problems with the new interface and don't see any problems with my units.

Good for you. Just look around and you'll see the problems with your old UI. In fact this thread is all about one of those problems. And just FYI, I don't have to unplug the EHD's or delete timers on any of my H3's.

They claim the problem was resolved and yet no software update was pushed out. It sounds like the problem was the metadata in the guide. Probably in a program that I was not trying to record.

Good for you. Just look around and you'll see the problems with your old UI. In fact this thread is all about one of those problems. And just FYI, I don't have to unplug the EHD's or delete timers on any of my H3's.
You may be one of the lucky ones. DISH was advising technicians to unplug the hard drive for customers that received an error 1281 when they could not create a timer. Read post 143 under New EPG Info data - strange where Scott posted a technical response to retailers from Dish. The problems all appear to occur because of the guide metadata. Thus, I would not encourage people to get the new interface when the old software has shown itself to be very stable. It appears that the guide issues are causing issues with both the new interface and the old interface.

You may be one of the lucky ones. DISH was advising technicians to unplug the hard drive for customers that received an error 1281 when they could not create a timer. Read post 143 under New DOG Info data - strange where Scott posted a technical response to retailers from Dish. The problems all appear to occur because of the guide metadata. Thus, I would not encourage people to get the new interface when the old software has shown itself to be very stable. It appears that the guide issues are causing issues with both the new interface and the old interface.

I got that email. I'm a DISH retailer. There's a lot more to the Hopper system than just software and guide data. We have hundreds of customers with Hoppers both old and new UI's. Very rarely have we had problems reported except when they're system wide. And when we do get the calls they are mixed between old UI and new UI problems about equally.

I'm glad you're happy with your old UI and you're one of the 'lucky ones'. You're missing out on a much improved picture quality among other nice features with the new UI. The old UI for Hoppers is being phased out by way of attrition if not mass download. As old Hoppers are replaced they come with the new software so sooner or later that will be all that's out there. And please don't shoot the messenger.

Charles,
If it had not been solved so quickly, I was ready to call it an effort to convert you holdouts to the new UI.:deadhorse

Dave
Well, I was lucky this issue happened on my HWS that records sports only and backup timers for hi priority programs. Also, I was able to view recordings from the good HWS to other TVs because I have a RF Modulator attached to the Hooper that routes thru my home distribution system. So I was ready to hold off for a long time before down loading the new CUI. I usually have bunches of patients. But, it has been really disappointing how DISH has left bunches of customers hi and dry waiting for the DPH42 switch. I was hoping for it last December but now looks like May or longer.

Had the same issue Thursday night on my HWS as the original poster. Saw this thread and assumed it would be gone after the nightly reboot. Nope-same again on Friday night. By using my Joey and Dish Anywhere on the tablet I was able to move recordings around folders and determine that Wednesday night's recording of The Expanse would cause the issue whenever it was visible on the DVR list. Deleted the recording and everything back to normal. These ongoing problems with the new guide data and its metadata are getting old quickly.

No, Is there a DIRT member on line? One Chat said they would replace my 62% full Hopper except can't get the recordings off.
Since I am not on regularly, what is this new UI? Thanks.

From reading previous posts, it appears that the problem occurs when a program timer interacts with bad guide data. The bandaid solution is to figure out which timer is having problems with the guide and delete that timer. Until Dish fixes the metadata in the guide, this will continue to occur for some programs. I have been lucky that all of my timers seem to reference programs that work. I am curious to find out if Dish is going to massage the guide data or whether they will reprogram how the timers work with the guide data. The problems seem to occur with both the new interface and the old interface.

From reading previous posts, it appears that the problem occurs when a program timer interacts with bad guide data. The bandaid solution is to figure out which timer is having problems with the guide and delete that timer. Until Dish fixes the metadata in the guide, this will continue to occur for some programs. I have been lucky that all of my timers seem to reference programs that work. I am curious to find out if Dish is going to massage the guide data or whether they will reprogram how the timers work with the guide data. The problems seem to occur with both the new interface and the old interface.
How do you figure out which timer is causing the issue?

That would be the hard part. Look for a timer that was scheduled to record when the problem first occurred. Since Dish has been fixing some problems with their overnight updates, I am guessing that they are seeing how the guide works with their search and timers and making adjustments. It is probably very frustrating for them. The searches would need to be backwards compatible to work with archived shows on the hard drives. When I did process control programming, the hardest jobs were when they wanted to change parameters but still use archived recipes.

That is probably a good reason why Dish will not consider using PSIP data to supplement their guide. The format of the PSIP data would be a completely different format than the guide data from grace note or rovi.

I imagine there is quite a bit of data manipulation and matching involved. Of coarse I am only speculating. I don't have any insider information. I really miss the technical chats that Dish used to have. I wish that they would share more info with us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)