DVR Optical Output Incompatibility

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

David~R

Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
I have a new Pioneer VSX-1014 receiver, and the Dish 510 DVR. As has been reported in this forum and elsewhere, many audio-video receivers have problems with the optical output from Dish receivers. The 1014 has prolems....I get the usual symptoms.....no sound, and a flashing digital input icon on my receiver.

I sent an email to Dish technical support and their response "no known incompatibility" was not helpful. I can get analog (stereo) sound, but not digital. It is astounding to me that basic compatibility in these (standard) connections - which have been available for a decade - don't work. I have asked Pioneer for help, but I suspect there is nothing they can do, as the receiver works with other optical sources without problem. I gather this is a problem with most, if not all, Dish receivers.

Anyone in this forum with any suggestions? This is not a critical issue for me, as DVDs work fine, and that is where I want great sound. I would have liked to get this capability for HBO and Showtime, however.

David

I haven't noticed a lot of reports of problems. So I'm not sure what the "usual" symptoms are.

What does the flashing digitial indicator mean?

MANY people forget to configure their receivers to map the digitial input to the correct video source. MOST new recievers require this.

On my reciever, the DVD digital audio input was preassigned, but none of the others were.

Welcome to the Forums David.

There is also a setup on your 510 you have to do. I think (been a while since I set it up) you have to set it to send PCM and digital output. Otherwise, the non DD 5.1 (say LIL's) won't generate anything through the DD port. I'm sure someone will correct this before then, but I will check my 721 and 921 setup tonight.

Yeah, I had to do the same as what A Nolan above mentioned with my 508. Although my 721 came preconfigured for digital out and let me tell you. Optical Out sounds SOOO SWEET! I could never go back to crappy analog. Now my only trouble is I need to get a receiver with 2 or more Optical Inputs so I can enjoy the same with my DVD Player. Mmmm....

A_Noland said:
Welcome to the Forums David.

There is also a setup on your 510 you have to do. I think (been a while since I set it up) you have to set it to send PCM and digital output. Otherwise, the non DD 5.1 (say LIL's) won't generate anything through the DD port. I'm sure someone will correct this before then, but I will check my 721 and 921 setup tonight.

actually itll just output pcm. I have this problem with my 811. I can get DD from my 510, ps2, xbox, dvd player, etc, etc. but my 811 when it sends the DD signal the receiver gets nothing. but i set it to PCM and jsut deal with it.

ocaddict said:
Dude, you ditched your 721 for a 522? How you liking the 522?

i didnt ditch it for the 522... i had them both at the same time along with 2 510s when i bought my new hdtv i traded the 721 for an 811 and moved the 522 to the least used room. I rarely use it but i havent had too many problems with it since i reboot it daily as i walk out the door.

The Dish DVR is connected to the standard optical input on the 1014 - its the default port for a DVR on this receiver, so nothing needs to be reconfigured. I can see the video (again, on the default port), just no sound. The flashing indicator on the 1014 (apparently) indicates it can't recognize the digital input. On my DVD player, for example, it indicates Dolby Digital is being received. The 510 lets you set Dolby, PCM or auto (Dolby/PCM). I have tried both auto and Dolby. Neither works. I can try PCM, but I assume that means I won't get Dolby digital. I'm curious if anyone has any references to the optical connection standards....it appears that this a "standard" that Dish ignores.

Do you also get the flashing indicator if you disconnect the cable completely? Have you tried a different cable? Try plugging the optical from DVD Player into this port on the receiver and see if it works.

Rember, gotta be careful about bend radus on optical cables.

Even though the digital I/O port was pre-set for the DVR do not bank 100% that it was correct. I would cycle through the digital I/O selections just to test them at least.

David~R said:
I'm curious if anyone has any references to the optical connection standards....it appears that this a "standard" that Dish ignores.

It can be proven that it is not ignored because it does work with many other A/V switching head units; the Yamaha series to name one. If you read through NightRyder's link it list other brands as well.

I just purchased a Pioneer VSX-1014TX this week. I have a 510 and am having the same problem. This problem did not occur on my 6-year old Sony 5.1 receiver STR-DE835.

The 510 is set to output DD and PCM. The toslink is plugged into the Pioneer's TV/SAT connection and the input is configured correctly. When the 510 is fired up, the DD indicator flashes on the Pioneer and no sound is played, although sometimes I get a chirp. The only resolution is to use standard audio cables.

Also, I have plugged the toslink from my Xbox and DVD player into the TV/Sat connection and reconfigured the input and they work.

Has E* issued a software or firmware release that can cure this problem? This shouldn't happen on a brand new top-of-the-line receiver when my old Sony worked fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)