This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

DVR Options

selene12

Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
fl
We just signed with Dish 3 months ago. I'm just now getting used to the HD 722K we have. I did not know that since our bedroom is tv#1 I had to put it in single mode so I can watch something different while I record something else at night.

When I called the techs they could not tell me how to change the DVR that a show is supposed to be recording to so "just put it in single mode". I would like a DVR hooked to our third tv just to do all the recordings and we can watch them anywhere in the house. The only problem I have is our community pays for Comcast basic cable and Dish is not hooked up to that third tv. Between us and the children the DVR is recording all the time and we are sometimes without a tv. Any advice?

Thanks

Hi, selene12! I saw your post and would like to help you out with this. What you should do is press the Menu button on your remote control to pull up the main menu. Then select option 8, and then option 4. If "TV1" is showing in the right scroll column in the middle of the screen, switch it to "TV2". That should resolve the issue. If it's already set to "TV2", what is most likely the problem is that the timers that are set to record are overlapping.

Hope that helps!

If you want a Dish HD DVR, then the cheapest one is the 612 @$10/mo. It has two tuners + OTA, even though it's made for only a single TV.

I would like a DVR hooked to our third tv just to do all the recordings and we can watch them anywhere in the house.

Thanks
Dish does not offer a watch anywhere in the house DVR, The 612 can be seen only on connected tv. The 722 is the same. I am unsure if an EHD would allow for the "transport" of recordings from one 612 to a 722, Someone I am sure will fill in that part.

Yes, you can share an EHD between ViP612, ViP622, ViP722, ViP722k & ViP922 units. The ViP211 is a different animal, no sharing to/from the ViP211 series and the previously mentioned ones. Don't count on the ViP222 series ever officially supporting EHDs.

I'd recommend getting another ViP722k. Sounds like you can make good use of it, and the added ability to save timers is really nice. The ViP612 seems to have not been quite as stable as the others, but perhaps that has changed.

I have two ViP722 DVRs that I am quite happy with. I'm just now out of contract, but until Fios gets a decent HD DVR here locally, Dish has no worries about my bolting.

Good to see that as the fifth post, scubasteve answered the actual question.