Looking at my options to save money

Tecmo SB Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Hi. I'm looking to save money.

Dish didn't do anything wrong. It's just my viewing habits have changed drastically since I first had Dish installed 17 years ago.

(Forgot to add, I'm not on a contract currently.)

I attached part of my monthly bill to this post.

First let's start here: Dish Pause.

I know my DVR fee will go from $7 to $15 if I go on Pause and them come off of it.

But how about the Welcome Package? I switched to the Welcome Pack before 1-15-2019. If I go on Pause, when I come off Pause will I go from being charged $45.99 to $50.99 (because I know the price increase starts next month) for the Welcome Pack or will it go all the way up to $54.99?

Attachments

• Current Dish Network Charges.jpg
    Current Dish Network Charges.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
But how about the Welcome Package? I switched to the Welcome Pack before 1-15-2019. If I go on Pause, when I come off Pause will I be charged $50.99 for the Welcome Pack or will it go all the way up to $54.99?
If you are not under a contract and have no price guarantee, Welcome Pack will be going up no matter what.

At this point, to honest, just the locals and TBS because I wanted to catch some of the Baseball playoffs that are coming up.

Are you in a situation where you can put an antenna up? If the dish is on the roof, you can reuse the existing mast and wiring. Sling has TBS, you can subscribe during baseball season.

Are you in a situation where you can put an antenna up? If the dish is on the roof, you can reuse the existing mast and wiring. Sling has TBS, you can subscribe during baseball season.
Thanks for that idea. I'll have to think that one over.

So I have a lot of unwatched movies on my 722K and 2 TB External Hard Drive (I've watched a lot of them but still have a lot I haven't watched).

If I didn't go on Pause, but switched from the Welcome Pack ($50.99) to International Basic ($20), that requires somebody to come out here and install a new dish, right?

I don't have Dish Protect anymore. I used to years ago back when it was only $5.

If you put your account on pause all your discounts will go away and you will be charged full rice for whatever the level of service is.
Since this topic was brought up and better to learn something ahead of time, I will be remodeling in the near or distant future, I am not in contract but do I have any discounts as wouldn't these already be full price as this is the current itemized bill:

1695599082371.png

My idea is to pause it long enough which might take 1.5-2 years for the construction so that when I return and restore service, I can still access what's on the external HDDs on the Hopper 3.

I thought the limit for Dish Pause was 8 months straight?
Could be, not sure what the limits are since this is one area where others are experts which was why I was asking but assuming it really was 8 months straight, do they allow doing a pause then at the 8 months, reinstate and then maybe a few days later, pause again and repeat?

There is a limit on pause. Can't remember exactly how many months but it's 6, 8 or 9 lol. But once your time expires you can call a couple days before and have them extend it back out. I've seen customers be on pause for up to two years before. Just so.e advice though, if it's possible while on pause leave the receivers connected to satellite and power so they stay updated. Going to customers houses that's been on pause for long periods of time and not connected is one of the hugest pains because they don't just simply come right back on with programming. Usually have to reset 20 times and potentially update software whole on site before they give you your channels back. I know it's not always possible but if it is, it's extremely helpful to keep them connected.

There is a limit on pause. Can't remember exactly how many months but it's 6, 8 or 9 lol. But once your time expires you can call a couple days before and have them extend it back out. I've seen customers be on pause for up to two years before. Just so.e advice though, if it's possible while on pause leave the receivers connected to satellite and power so they stay updated. Going to customers houses that's been on pause for long periods of time and not connected is one of the hugest pains because they don't just simply come right back on with programming. Usually have to reset 20 times and potentially update software whole on site before they give you your channels back. I know it's not always possible but if it is, it's extremely helpful to keep them connected.
Or they could have it off all the time and the day before you're scheduled to go out there, the customer could plug it in and power it up so it updates the day before and you're not spending any time updating when you're actually there.

Yeah, the connected part might be hard since the entire house will be demolished first so in the worse case scenario since everything recorded whether internally on the H3 or on external HDDs are all from content from TVB, I might have to give up on DISH and just subscribe to TVB's streaming service which is $29.99 which allows access to their entire library of shows or most of it until I return. Otherwise, might have to do phase construction so only one part of the house is demolished and constructed at a time. Thanks for the tips though tj!

I have a feeling I know what the answer's going to be but I wanted to ask this question to make sure.

I have like 500 movies on my 2 TB External Hard Drive.

Let's say I cancelled DISH and got rid of it completely but didn't do anything with that external hard drive.

Then for whatever reason, 1 year from now or 2 years from now, etc., changed my mind and came back and signed up with DISH again, there's no way I could access those movies on my external hard drive, right? Because I'd have an entirely different account?

I have a feeling I know what the answer's going to be but I wanted to ask this question to make sure.

I have like 500 movies on my 2 TB External Hard Drive.

Let's say I cancelled DISH and got rid of it completely but didn't do anything with that external hard drive.

Then for whatever reason, 1 year from now or 2 years from now, etc., changed my mind and came back and signed up with DISH again, there's no way I could access those movies on my external hard drive, right? Because I'd have an entirely different account?
You are correct, once your account goes away so do your movies.

You are correct, once your account goes away so do your movies.
Actually when I cancelled my DISH account I kept the Hopper hooked up to the external hard drive and to the satellite and I was still able to access the movies on that external hard drive. I can still today. But I own the receiver of course. If you rent this wouldn't apply.

Correct.

Could you put up a shed with power for the dish etc during construction?
Yeah I think you're confusing me with the other guy in the thread (Almighty1).
Actually when I cancelled my DISH account I kept the Hopper hooked up to the external hard drive and to the satellite and I was still able to access the movies on that external hard drive. I can still today. But I own the receiver of course. If you rent this wouldn't apply.
Yeah I'm currently renting my 722K. Thanks for the tidbit though.