DVR playback

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jlong27

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Katy, TX
Just wondering if this happens to the 922 also. When playing back a program currently being recorded and you are lets say 15 min behind live tv and the show reaches the end. Playback will stop and you will be put to live tv.

That is really annoying.

It doesn't happen too often but you have to start watching a recording show from the beginning and then once the playback stops, the show is over, you will be put in live tv mode and loose however much time has lapsed between the end of the show you were viewing and live tv.

Really you could be watching a recording show live and rewind and it will happen.

Again, I do that all the time and haven't ever had it happen. Not sure if that is a wide spread problem and I'm lucky or if it is a small problem and you're unlucky.

I must be unlucky. It really sucks when the beginning of a show starts at the end of one and it stops and switches to live mode and you can't go back because the buffer was dumped.

Just wondering if this happens to the 922 also. When playing back a program currently being recorded and you are lets say 15 min behind live tv and the show reaches the end. Playback will stop and you will be put to live tv.

That is really annoying.

Not quite sure what your problem is, any time I watch a recording (even one thats currently recording when I get to the end I get the menu screen that allows you to delete or start over every time. (like it should)

If your problem is that you have no buffer to rewind after you stop watching the recording, That is how dish works, anytime you watch something recorded there is no buffering being done.

My problem when I am watching a program on the 922 that is still recording is that sometimes the system will think that the program is still being recorded after the time it was supposed to end.

Tonite I recorded the 10pm news on tuner 1, tuner 2 was recording modern marvels. At 10:15 I started to watch the news program (ABC) at 10:30 the tuner switched to NBC and started to recored Saturday Night Live. The EPG showed three programs recording, the 10pm news, SNL, and Modern Marvels.

It is now 12:30 am. The tuners are idle and can change channels etc. The 10pm news is still being reported as recording and reports at a 2.5 hour program. I can not stop it, or delete it. This has happened to me three times since I got the box on thursday. The last two times I simply reset the machine.

If your problem is that you have no buffer to rewind after you stop watching the recording, That is how dish works, anytime you watch something recorded there is no buffering being done.

That sounds like the answer. There is no buffering going on during a recording/playback. Why can't the dvr just buffer the channel being recorded beyond the end of the recording if the tuner isn't needed by another recording.

On my 922 when i watch previously recorded shows
they finish playback and jumps to live TV
the screen which is supposed to allow you to delete the show and whatnot doesn't get displayed

is this is problem you describe?

The jumping to live tv, yes. The delete show screen no. However that would be really annoying.

I guess the best way to describe my concern is, the channel the tuner is currently on if recording or not should be buffered. When a show stops recording, just continue buffering.

I have had this problem before. I am watching a show and tell it to record the remainder which it does but it dumps the buffer then starts recording. UGH! not sure if the 922 does this too.

Question about the DVR. If I am watching something on TV1 can I sling something recorded onto TV2 or watch an entirely different channel on TV2? Thanks in advance guys!!

I don't like the fact that it defaults to having the delete button selected when the playback finishes. I feel asleep the other night while watching a show and when I woke up the show was over and had been deleted. I'd would rather it default to live TV and let me select delete when I really want to delete.

Well, IMHO, the correct description of how the Dish DVR's work is this:

1.When viewing a recording on the FOREGROUND tuner (not PIP on other models) that tuner does not buffer while you are watching that recorded program.

2.If watching a recording in progress behind real time, the FOREGROUND tuner will not buffer until the playback manually or automatically ends and the FOREGROUND screen resumes display of that FOREGROUND tuner.

3.If the BACKGROUND tuner--not the one you are watching live nor the one you are viewing your recorded program--is recording a program, then when that live recording ends, the BACKGROUND tuner will buffer starting at the conclusion of the live recording.

The key is the FOREGROUND tuner experience will not buffer--but the background will--when it is in use for playback of recordings.

This has always been the case for all Dish 2 tuner DVR's.

What you want is what TiVo does. However, TiVo Series 3 ALWAYS records on both tuners at ALL TIMES, even in standby. Kind of nice, but not really a killer "app" feature nor is it a deal breaker against Dish or any other DVR maker in the market.

Suggestion/workaround: Just before you view your playback of a recording, press the RECORD button and select Manually Stop Recording option. It will buffer the FOREGROUND tuner until you manually stop it with only your disk space remaining as its limitation.

Is this that big a deal that the workaround above won't help in your feeling satisfied? As someone who has a TiVo Series 3 that buffers at all times--but only to the limit of 30 minutes buffer time, this really isn't such function to crow about. Yeah, it was handy a few times, but not a desired feature I would ever care to have on any DVR. Very easy to press RECORD and select Manually Stop Recording option for the same effect on Dish DVR's, but even better as the Dish DVR will record for as long as you have room on the disk (hours?) or manually stop it.

So, if such a feature were that important to me, I would have to set-up the TiVo do the same thing as the Dish DVR, but it is a more cumbersome task on the TiVo as you have to navigate the cumbersome menus, then you have to select the specific start time and specific end time in five minute increments, not with precision as with Dish DVR's (date, and channel on TiVo reflect current)--must I calculate it? I want it easy like on Dish DVR's-- when what I really want is for the TiVo to record until I press stop. That means, ironically, the Dish DVR has a better manual buffer option than TiVo, and I would prefer Dish's options to TiVo's if such a feature were important to me.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts