DVR programs set to record "New" only are recording reruns.

shenanigans_ink

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
This is an extremely annoying problem.. There are many children's shows on Nickelodean and Cartoon Network I set to record for my daughter (and Adult Swim shows for myself) that I have set for New only. The problem is that often it records reruns of these shows and it fills my DVR up too quickly. My DVR is full of Dora the Explorer, Diego, Robot Chicken, Aquateen Hungerforce, and more.
In the past I have gone through and preemptively canceled these recordings, but sometimes that is very time consuming. I should not have to do that when the DVR is supposed to filter out TV shows that have previous air dates.
can this bug be addressed?

The "new" or "old" recording is based on the guide data, which is provided through third parties. Not much can be done about that.. (aside from having the data setup manually in house or somthing)

However what I do is instead of setting it to "record new only" I simply select a time and say only record say "Pysch" on Wed At 10 on USA HD. Because the new episodes are usually always on the same time every week/day etc.

that's the problem with kids TV shows. you never know exactly what time they will air. These channels are always floating their schedules. Also, there is no problem with the guide data. The show descriptions of the reruns are accurate and do not feature "New" in the show description like new shows that record always do.
Also, setting a specific time will not prevent reruns from recording at that specific and and will keep new episodes recording at different times from being recorded.
Setting specific times doesn't work anyway. I set Attack of the Show to only record at 12pm (in the afternoon) but it still keeps trying to record the new show that airs at 7 o'clock when we want to record jeopardy while my daughter watches Max & Ruby.

this is definitely a software issue and not the fault of guide info. Once again, last night a rerun of an adult swim show recorded even though info in the description gave it an original air date of last year.

BHN has said it is the fault of the guide (you know--the one THEY have chosen to depend on). So, how dare you question that? You have been given the answer, so YOU are clearly the one who is wrong. [/sarc]

Of course, your DVR still doesn't record the right shows, or rather records too many of the wrong ones...too bad. What? You wanted it to work right?

actually it doesn't record the right ones either, but that is a problem I blame on the guide. New Episodes of Top gear were being skipped over because there was an "original air date" in the description. The problem is the original air date was for when the show aired in England, not America where the episode was new.

I'm having the same issue with a new HR24. Got the new receiver about a week ago and set all of my season pasess to 'First Run Only' and it is recording all of the repeats. Interestingly, only the new box is doing that. The box that had all of the season passes, moved to the basement, is recording correctly. Shouldn't it go by 'Original air date' which is listed with each program?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)