DVR question about watching 2 shows

DisneyDavid

Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
I currently have Dish with a 521 DVR. It has dual tuners, hooked to 2 TVs, with 2 remotes. Very often, I will watch a recorded show in one room, while my DW watches a different recorded show in the other room.

My question is: Can I do this with the FIOSTV DVR? Can you use 2 different remotes? Is there anyone who can compare this DVR with the 521?

i don't think it will do what you are looking for. it only comes with one remote. i saw nothing in the manual about watching two recorded shows at once on different tvs.

welcome to the site.

At this time Verizon STBs are only made to work on one TV. However in the future, Verizon is working on software that will allow you to stream programs recorded on your DVR to a remote STB somewhere else in your house. Last time I heard they were looking for an end of summer rollout. This system still requires and extra STB on another television, which is different then the setup you currently have with Dish.

Hope this information helps, and welcome to the site :)

Thanks for the quick replies! This is the only thing that might hold me up from switching. Since DW and I don't always watch the same shows, it's a great way to work down the hours without having to take turns.

Verify for me please, the Verizon DVR can record 2 different shows and allow you to watch one something already recorded at the same time?

DisneyDavid said:
Thanks for the quick replies! This is the only thing that might hold me up from switching. Since DW and I don't always watch the same shows, it's a great way to work down the hours without having to take turns.

Verify for me please, the Verizon DVR can record 2 different shows and allow you to watch one something already recorded at the same time?

Yes the Verizon DVR can record two channels while watching a third recorded program all at the sametime. ("It can also record two HD shows while watching a third recorded HD show at the sametime as well.") You won't lose anything which is what you wanted to know. Also all Verizon digital boxes have multiroom viewing software installed on them but just not activated yet. Verizon is waiting a little longer for a newer version of Moca that is very close to arriving at which time they will update all of their boxes with that new software at which time a couple weeks of testing will occur until the feature is activated. With Verizon you can use the same GUI software on all boxes so you can use the same remote control on the regular digital box and by pressing the MY DVR button on a plain digital box it will bring up the same exact menu your DVR brings up but all recordings on all of your DVR boxes will be shown. They will be played back like normal. So say if your account has three DVR boxes you soon will be able to record six live shows at the sametime that can be played back on all three DVR boxes.

You could also rent "one" DVR and get one free digital box and rent one digital box for 3.95/month and anything recorded on that one DVR can be played back on that DVR of course but also on both the digital boxes.

Just note that you must have a DVR to pause live TV as a basic digital box can only playback what is on the DVR beyond what it does today. Also you can schedule a recording on the digital box and it will be recorded on the DVR and if the same show was scheduled by another member of the house you won't notice anything. But what is nice is say the other member plays the show and tries to delete it that user will have a screen that will popup saying that another user has scheduled this same recording and are you sure this other user is done playing back this show. If you delete this show anyone else in the house can no longer playback this recording. It won't be as detailed but the system will remember which box requested once and if the first box says they are done with the show but still keep it that when the second and last box plays the show and deletes it it will be deleted. It will assume that another person hasn't watched it until box boxes watch the show unless you tell the DVR otherwise.

Its done very well so even if this seems complex when you see the warning message it will be very simple and clear.

Edit...the quote above wrapped with (" ") denotes a major edit that corrected a typo that misleads the reader as to the abilities of the Verizon HD DVR. It is now corrected.

Last edited:
korsjs said:
mine will not do that.

I think LonghornXP was meaning it will record two HD while watching an already recorded HD program.

DisneyDavid, as far as switching to FiosTV, I had the exact same set up and was sure I would miss being able to watch the same thing in two rooms from one DVR, but I honestly haven't really missed it. Perhaps this is because the hard drive is so much bigger, so for example I have recordings of the same program in both rooms... and as others stated- it will be coming.

It was well worth the switch for me, and for nothing else just the fact that I can record HD without buying any hardware.

mindgrind said:
I think LonghornXP was meaning it will record two HD while watching an already recorded HD program.

DisneyDavid, as far as switching to FiosTV, I had the exact same set up and was sure I would miss being able to watch the same thing in two rooms from one DVR, but I honestly haven't really missed it. Perhaps this is because the hard drive is so much bigger, so for example I have recordings of the same program in both rooms... and as others stated- it will be coming.

It was well worth the switch for me, and for nothing else just the fact that I can record HD without buying any hardware.

Correct I meant to say Verizon FIOS DVRs can record two live HD shows while watching a third recorded (not live) HD show. Sorry about that typo guys and gals.

Last edited:
Longhorn correction

Quickly, just a correction of Longhorn's correction...He meant Watching a third show, not recording...

Correct I meant to say Verizon FIOS DVRs can record two live HD shows while <watching> a third recorded (not live) HD show. Sorry about that typo guys and gals.

FrozenTundra said:
Quickly, just a correction of Longhorn's correction...He meant Watching a third show, not recording...

Correct I meant to say Verizon FIOS DVRs can record two live HD shows while <watching> a third recorded (not live) HD show. Sorry about that typo guys and gals.

Thank you and yes I had a bad day didn't I.

Longhorn, you mentioned that "a couple weeks of testing will occur ", is there a way for me to apply to be a beta tester, and get on the bleeding edge? I have many user interface type suggestions I'd love to pass along to someone who matters (not the tech support fella on the phone).

FrozenTundra said:
Longhorn, you mentioned that "a couple weeks of testing will occur ", is there a way for me to apply to be a beta tester, and get on the bleeding edge? I have many user interface type suggestions I'd love to pass along to someone who matters (not the tech support fella on the phone).

This testing I'm talking about is internal testing to start with. As of this point in time Verizon isn't doing any beta testing in homes beyond Verizon employees in fiber served areas. That from what I hear will change once more customers have access to fiber. If you want to make it clear that your interested in becoming a beta tester in the future just call the fiber solutions customer support line and tell the rep to note your account that you would be interested in becoming a beta tester and provide valuable feedback on current and future service offerings. Just make it aware to them that your willing to spend the time to test and offer feedback that isn't biased.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)