DVR Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

peek

Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
First of all, I know nothing about satellite and just had direct TV installed. We have one DVR (downstairs) and a regular receiver (upstairs). How do I set things up so the DVR can be accessed upstairs ? The installer had mentioned something about a splitter or a switchbox and we were told we'd need an IR extender. Right now there is only one line going to the upstairs, will I need a second from the DVR downstairs in order to use it upstairs ?

What is the best way to do this ? And what exactly do I split if I go with a splitter, the output that goes from the DVR to the TV ? the current coax run goes from the output of the receiver downstairs and then back up (I assume this is as if it's coming off the dish) to the receiver upstairs. Sorry if these are stupid questions but I don't understand this stuff yet.

peek said:
What is the best way to do this ? And what exactly do I split if I go with a splitter, the output that goes from the DVR to the TV ? the current coax run goes from the output of the receiver downstairs and then back up (I assume this is as if it's coming off the dish) to the receiver upstairs. Sorry if these are stupid questions but I don't understand this stuff yet.

If you're already connecting the DVR to the TV downstairs via coax you'll need to split the line from the RF output and run another coaxial cable to the room upstairs. However, if your downstairs' TV has composite, or better yet, an S-video input you should use that type of connection instead for the local TV. If you're already using a composite or S-video connection then you won't need a splitter on the RF output as that line will be used ONLY to send the signal to the TV upstairs.

Once you've routed the coax from the RF output of the DVR to the room upstairs you'll need to decide how you want to make the connection and still be able to use the receiver in that upstairs room. One way would be to just run the coax cable directly into the TV and then simply choose the unused channel (channel 3 or 4 depending on your location) in order to view the signal from the DVR downstairs. Assuming you have the regular receiver upstairs connected to the TV via composite or S-video you would continue to use that input on your TV to view the signal from that receiver.

If the upstairs TV only has an RF input which is being used by the receiver in that room you could run the coax from the DVR into the RF (ant) input of the receiver and use the receiver to switch between sources. (There should be a button on the remote that says Sat/Ant or something to that effect to switch between the two sources).

If your receiver doesn't allow this, i.e., if it doesn't have signal pass-through capability, you'll need an A/B switch. Again, all of this is assuming the upstairs TV has (a single) coax input ONLY.

Once you've done all that you'll need a way to control the DVR from the upstairs room....you can do that with a wireless remote extender like this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...9642&cp=&kw=remote+extender&parentPage=search

Can a diplexer be used to

combine the RF output of the DVR with the second satellite feed going upstairs to avoid running an additional cable upstairs? Or is a diplexer not intended for this purpose ? If I need to I can run an additonal cable but I'd really like to avoid it as it was a real pain in the ass to get the one cable up there (old house).

Thanks!

peek said:
combine the RF output of the DVR with the second satellite feed going upstairs to avoid running an additional cable upstairs? Or is a diplexer not intended for this purpose ? If I need to I can run an additonal cable but I'd really like to avoid it as it was a real pain in the ass to get the one cable up there (old house).

Thanks!
Yes, diplexors can be used that way......use one downstairs to combine the RF output of the DVR with the sat line and another one upstairs to separate the two signals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)