DVR service fee

We moved to a new house last week. I brought my old VIP622 receiver that's been in a closet deactivated for a couple years over two weeks ago, to use for aiming the Eastern Arc satellite dish and get it ready for when we moved over the VIP722k. We've been so busy working to get the house ready, we have lots of recorded shows to burn through before dumping Dish for a Charter bundle.

I aimed the dish, got it peaked, had channel 101 live, and left the 622 receiver on. After two days, everything that's in free preview, local OTA channels, and channels like FETV, INSP and such went LIVE, and stay on and watchable... It's got quite a few good channels, even with no subscription..

That's fine... I'll be a fly by poster now... I just don't have the time to check the threads so much now. Now I scroll and disappear. Maybe 20 minutes a day on SG. Especially after the H3 came out, it was madness.

What's a Hopper? :) I feel so old-school with my 722K and 211s (each with an EHD). And I don't get on here much either, just dropped by to find out about the NBC/Comcast dustup.

After two days, everything that's in free preview, local OTA channels, and channels like FETV, INSP and such went LIVE, and stay on and watchable... It's got quite a few good channels, even with no subscription..
You had to wait two days for those channels to show up? Whenever I have a receiver that is completely shut down, I just call Dish to reactivate it, then call Dish back to deactivate it after I go through the guide to make sure all of the channels are there, and I have all of the free channels the same day. There is no Change of Service fee for activating / deactivating purchased receivers, so I can do this as often as I need to. However, there is usually no need to go through this process very often, since the free channels usually stay active as long as the receiver stays hooked up.

You had to wait two days for those channels to show up? Whenever I have a receiver that is completely shut down, I just call Dish to reactivate it, then call Dish back to deactivate it after I go through the guide to make sure all of the channels are there, and I have all of the free channels the same day. There is no Change of Service fee for activating / deactivating purchased receivers, so I can do this as often as I need to. However, there is usually no need to go through this process very often, since the free channels usually stay active as long as the receiver stays hooked up.

Ah, but the receiver isn't officially activated! I never called Dish, it activated itself, it was just the second day that I checked it and the free view and public service channels were all live. That might have happened sooner than the full two days. My only intention on hooking it up was to aim the dish... By the way, all the dvr recording functions also now work perfectly..

My regular receiver is a owned VIP722k, the 622 is my old owned receiver, and no longer on my account.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Ah, but the receiver isn't officially activated! I never called Dish, it activated itself, it was just the second day that I checked it and the free view and public service channels were all live. That might have happened sooner than the full two days. My only intention on hooking it up was to aim the dish... By the way, all the dvr recording functions also now work perfectly..

My regular receiver is a owned VIP722k, the 622 is my old owned receiver, and no longer on my account.
I understand. My post was meant more as a tip for those who might want to intentionally use old deactivated receivers for the free channels to save money on additional receiver fees and DVR fees.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts