DVR software editing???In the future perhaps??

gatekeeper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
I just bought a external harddrive and in the process of transferring recordings from my 722 to the harddrive.I was wondering if Dish is planning on or in the future having editing software.It would be kool to edit or remove commercials from our recordings .I have alot of College football games in Hd and would love to remove all of the commercials.Im sure this idea is under development or they (DISH) have already thought of it.:D

They could do it easily but as has been stated the programmers would kill them. I remember back when I had a ReplayTV DVR it was dead simple to export the file (just a plain jane MPEG-1 file) and run it through a video editor to remove all of the commercials. I'm sure that programmers didn't like that all that much but it wasn't as bad since it was just analog video. If Dish allowed this they'd be dealing with pure digital video and programmers would have serious issues with it.

Events transpire in this order (note, the farther down the list, the less likely the process will ever get that far)

1. Pigs mutate into a species with wings.
2. Congress repeals the trainwreck that is the DMCA.
3. Programming providers fire their legal staff and remove all DRM restrictions on their content.
4. Dish Network IT staff design a simple editing feature that allows you to cut parts out of a recorded program. Unfortunately this introduces an unintended bug that deletes all other recordings on the DVR except the one you were editing.

Be careful what you wish for. You think bird poop on your dish is bad, just wait!

I remember someone calling/emailing the Tech Forum or Charlie Chat with that question. They didn't say no and thought it was a good idea.

I once called the Charlie Chat/Tech Forum with this question. And my suggestion was much simpler: Just let me specify a number of minutes to trim off the end of a recorded program.

This has nothing to do with commercials; it's for sports. When I record a soccer match, I leave on the default setting to record extra time at the end of the match, in case it runs long. When I watch the recording, I can see exactly how many extra minutes were recorded after the end of the match. For the HD recordings I keep, I'd like to trim off those extra minutes.

Occasionally, a match starts late, so it would be nice to be able to trim a few minutes from the start as well. Either of these options, from the beginning or ending, shouldn't be too hard to do.

On the other hand, editing out of the middle could be tricky. Sande

Home Theater PC (HTPC) can do that and so much more. Probably why everyone is appearing to be doing their best to scuttle it, Satellite and Cable.

Yes, biggest concern would be how easily digital HD recordings could be copied and redistributed on the internet. Napster and iTunes seem to be able to keep it down to a reasonable level, and still provide the customer a reasonable fair use rights. I guess DRM is suppose to be like that, although its NOT there yet, could DRM be behind because the content providers/programmers are NOT cooperating with it?

I have thought that it would be cool to make my own video playlist of HD concert footage and/or music videos from Palladia or HD theatre to have playing in the background during parties. Instead of just playing an entire concert (and commercials, etc.), I could make my own HD video music channel (commercial free of course!)

I have thought that it would be cool to make my own video playlist of HD concert footage and/or music videos from Palladia or HD theatre to have playing in the background during parties. Instead of just playing an entire concert (and commercials, etc.), I could make my own HD video music channel (commercial free of course!)
You and I think that is "fair use" of the entertainment you own and pay for, the content providers (programmers) don't agree, and that drives the features of the equipment we get, or equipment that is available.

Yes, the content providers should NOT have to put up with people stealing their service, i.e. distributing copies over the internet. At the same time, the cosumer should NOT have to pay for the same content 2 or 3 times because they want to use it on a different device, or be restricted to the providers intended use only. e.g. having to load recording after recording and que them up to the points you want, to do the thing you just described.

HTPC can do all that you talk about, but right now there is no practical way to record HD on a HTPC, all the service providers have refused to open their systems to allow equipment for HTPC to work with the service. There are a few expensive work-arounds that aren't the best, but it can be done.

You'd think the industry would meet the customer half-way, design to allow fair use but protect against illegal copy/distribution. Instead it seems they are only interested in designing to protect content for limited use and force the consumer to pay double or triple to re-use it.

This topic was brought up as a wish list item by Mark Jackson during a recent tech chat so the concept hasn't passed entirely without notice.

No doubt it'd be nice to have the capability, especially to trim at the beginning and end of a recording. Do I think that, or any other kind of DVR editing capability will ever be added? Hm...yeah, when hippos sprout wings and fly around the planet... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)