DVR USB Drive Disconnecting

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MikeC

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
When I connect my USB drive to my PC, there is an icon down in the system tray that prepares the drive to be disconnected. Is there something similar that needs to be done when disconnecting from the new DVR?

Fast, simple answer NO!
Be sure the program or information has been recorded properly, then you can remove the USB. I do believe the manual says something about "hot Swapping" but I do not have mine out here.
If you are recording, and hit the stop button, it says something about Checking USB or ? When that goes off you are safe.

Ok thanks.

I thought that I had recorded something and after I disconnected the drive and took it to a PC, nothing was there. I will try it again.

Can't wait till the EPG!

Ok, thanks for the tip.

Yes I tried it again and the files were there when I connected the drive to the PC.

But new problem; after I connected the drive back to the DVR, the file names were trashed (2-3 characters of garbage).

I have not seen that, yet. Brian, have you our your crew seen that?

Mike, what brand and model of drive are you using? They are making a list of compatable / incompatable drives. That might be the problem...

Another thought, did you try to use the original file ie. add to it or change the characteristics some way? The .ts is a stranger to most programs.

But new problem; after I connected the drive back to the DVR, the file names were trashed (2-3 characters of garbage).

Is it possible that the DVR only recognizes 8.3 file names (xxxxxxxx.xxx)? If that is the case, longer file names would be "translated" to unique 8.3 format, usually including a tilde (~) and some numbers.

I know that every DVD player I have had does that.

Pop,
No I didn't modify the files on the computer. I just played a couple of them.

But I found out that if I plugged the drive back directly into the unit, my file names came back. I was trying to use a USB hub to make it easier to plug the drive in.

The drive I am using is a Western Digital portable. I will check the model when my wife gets home (I don't know where she puts the receipts).

Cemguy,
No, the filenames are pretty long. 10 characters describing the channel, and a 10 digit number, with TS extension. Like HopeChanne0813205921.TS

OK, - about hubs, I have found them to be a source of problems for most uses. Somewhere, I got a USB extension cord - about 5ft long, that I use for another project. Can not remeber where, but may have been Circut City or Best Buy, based on how long ago I got it and where we were then!

The model is a Western Digital My Passport Essential Portable, 320 GB (the 'portable' drives cost a little more, but they get their power from the USB port so you don't have a separate power supply to move with the drive). I think that everything works ok, but I will wait until I have used it a little more before entering it in the 'Confirmed' thread.

Could be related to power. Your last post reminded of my Dish receiver: for an external drive it requires separate power. For whatever reason, the bus-power is not sufficient. Pure speculation, but it may be related to the heavy activity when recording video.

The model is a Western Digital My Passport Essential Portable, 320 GB (the 'portable' drives cost a little more, but they get their power from the USB port so you don't have a separate power supply to move with the drive). I think that everything works ok, but I will wait until I have used it a little more before entering it in the 'Confirmed' thread.
Thanks for another "heads up", I wasn't aware of the portable hard drive difference. The rear mounted USB port is a prime inconvenience for portability (a front port would have been super nice) and can be resolved with a 2 or 3 foot extension cable, but the need for a power adapter for a hard drive adds to the inconvenience (and to an already burdened power strip in the rear of my set-up).

Is there any downside to the portable hard drives I need to be aware of?

Could be related to power. Your last post reminded of my Dish receiver: for an external drive it requires separate power. For whatever reason, the bus-power is not sufficient. Pure speculation, but it may be related to the heavy activity when recording video.

I am using one of thoses drives also. There is no power problem with it here. My consumptuion does not go up more than about 10 ma with the drive - the smallest increment my meter will read! I have had no problems so far, but I have not transfered files yet. My DVD recorder will save from the RF out of the receiver as it plays from the USB drive, so I have not yet used a computer - my computer records CD's not DVD's! I do not know how well the editing will work out on the recorder, as I just wanted a swap copy and it worked!

I have another question, could the same hard drive be used for computer back-up and DVR recording or would I need separate drives?

The drive doesn't have a separate power supply, but my USB hub does. The documentation for the hub says that you may not need the separate power supply for low power devices, but that you do for heavy loads, such as external drives.

So I figured that I would be ok power-wise. Plus, the drive works ok drawing power from the DVR USB port.

Glad to hear the positive reports on bus-powered drives. I have a 60GB drive that I would like to use until I find a drive I want on sale.

I tried to find out the current draw for the drive, but I couldn't find it listed anyplace. But it must be within the USB specs.

As the USB hub didn't seem to work, I am following Pop's lead (using a USB extension cord) and I just ordered a 2nd cable from Western digital. That should work for what I need. I will just unplug the drive from the end of the cable, and leave the cable plugged into the DVR.

Reasonably Priced USB Cables

FireFold has reasonably priced USB extension cables. i ordered two three footers for $6.01 including shipping.

Wow, that is a good price. Including shipping! Thanks for letting us know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)