Dvr622 help me hook up my cable service

hammertime

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
I am trying to hook up my basic cable service to the dish 622 dvr. The dish network people can't seem to help. Can anyone guide me through the process?

Problem with my dvr622

Does anyone know how I can hook up my basic cable service to the dvr 622. I use basic for when dish shuts down due to bad weather. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to display on my tv. I have the wire input to the cable in but no picture on the tv. Dish Network couldn't help me, maybe you can..

hammertime said:
I am trying to hook up my basic cable service to the dish 622 dvr. The dish network people can't seem to help. Can anyone guide me through the process?
Doesnt the 622 have a antenna in? Just hook up your cable to that. Then do a search for channels.

I would use COAX input of your TV Monitor and leave 622 on HD input. That way you can switch from Dish Network to cable with your TV remote.

Yes it will work through the 622, on the back of the receiver there is a coax port with an antenna symbol and it should be labeled 8VSB, it is a tuner cartridge used for airial signals and will also work with other coax based services such as cable or another satellite receiver ect ect ect. IF your dish goes out so much that you need to have cable then you should have your system looked at to see why its going out so much.

The 8VSB input is digital only, so wouldn't that mean that the "basic cable" (analog?) can't be tuned with the 622? I know that in the case of my OTA antenna through the 622, it's digital channels only. I don't think the 622 has a QAM decoder for digital cable channels (but maybe that's not the only digital modulation on cable? You can tell I haven't been a cable sub for some time...!)

Last edited:
I don't think that the 622 will support this. Since it does not even support analog terestrial, I highly doubt that it would support Cable TV.

If you lose the signal lock on the 622 you will also lose the ATSC signal out of DISH Network receivers. Connect the cable coax directly to the TV/Monitor.

Wow. A lot of good advice. I will probably hook it up to the tv directly. By the way, doesn't your sat. go out when ever there is a storm?

Rarely. There are several recent threads on this topic with varying results. In my experience (7+ years with E*) my signal has been lost for maybe up to a minute, sometimes longer, on about 2 dozen occasions, only during very hard rain, and I think once during a snow squall. Heavy clouds are never an issue for me, tho' they are for some. Interestingly, when my signal is lost it is often before the rain hits so I know something really big is on the way, i.e., that thunder wasn't kidding and I'd better roll-up the car windows and batten-down the hatches...! How often you lose your signal is very much a function of how well the dishes are optimized to their satellites, YMMV...

When I first got E*, it used to go out all the time in rain. It was installed to shoot through some trees and the wet leaves used to drop down to cause it. It goes out sparatically now (tree was cut down), mostly during very heavy downpours.

I love my setup now. The hd picture is unbelievable. I have a samsung lcd 40". I'm sure that helps also. Also my digital pictures which some people complained about is not too bad either. Will just have to wait for more hd programming and my local in louisville to broadcat in hd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)