DVRBlackBox For 4DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know this is nitpicky.. but it bugs me that the guy changed the name of the product and then just changed the product name in all of the "direct quotes" from supposed customers on his site. I don't know why that bothers me so much.. but it just does.. it makes me think that someone would do/say anything to sell a product, if they are willing to change peoples words in (and in a manner of speaking, lie) order to sell something.

I'm sure that was not the intent at all.. so I don't know why that bugs me.. except that I keep thinking that if I gave someone a quote to use in their advertising and they changed the quote or misrepresented my statement, I'd be completely perturbed.. I shouldn't worry though, as I'm sure nobody would mind their statement being altered (and heck, maybe they were asked)..

Okay, I'll quit whining ;)

The concept is cool though. I've always thought it would be nice to be able to create a "go-between" translator to receive a given set of ir commands and then convert them into another set of commands stored in a "mini" database or something.. that way I could make my replaytv control just about anything I wanted without having to hack codes into it.

curious

Maybe with renewed interest in the DSR410, he'll consider supporting that one too...?
Might as well jump on the bandwagon. :cool:

off topic:
I'd be far more fascinated with a mod that'd let me take the digital video/audio (or transport stream) out to my computer.
I know there was one (maybe two) companies who built something like that for Dish receivers in the past.
Has anything like that come about for any of the Motorola receivers?

I know this is nitpicky.. but it bugs me that the guy changed the name of the product and then just changed the product name in all of the "direct quotes" from supposed customers on his site. I don't know why that bothers me so much.. but it just does.. it makes me think that someone would do/say anything to sell a product, if they are willing to change peoples words in (and in a manner of speaking, lie) order to sell something.

I'm sure that was not the intent at all.. so I don't know why that bugs me.. except that I keep thinking that if I gave someone a quote to use in their advertising and they changed the quote or misrepresented my statement, I'd be completely perturbed.. I shouldn't worry though, as I'm sure nobody would mind their statement being altered (and heck, maybe they were asked)..

Okay, I'll quit whining ;)

The concept is cool though. I've always thought it would be nice to be able to create a "go-between" translator to receive a given set of ir commands and then convert them into another set of commands stored in a "mini" database or something.. that way I could make my replaytv control just about anything I wanted without having to hack codes into it.

Lumpkin666, I not sure that bothers you so much? I was obviously trying to get the word out, feel there's C-Banders out there who wish to use a TiVo ReplayTV or other DVR. The name as involved from PVRBLACKBOX to DVRBLACKBOX the nick name became DVRBB I changed it to something with 4DTV so 4DTVBB came about. DVRBLACKBOX, Inc. was formed to protect me more then anything. DVRBB nick name as stuck a little but to be honest I feel 4DTranslator is a better name for a product which Translates 4DTV.

Other then Hack codes into a ReplayTV recorder 4DTV doesn't like codes enter like Sat G1100 enter. But more like Sat G1 enter wait for dish to stop moving then enter 100. It also knows where it is then enters the correct code to get where you need in the shortest time. 4DTranslator is more then just a IR converter, it was designed by a 4DTV user myself.

Steve
DVRBLACKBOX, Inc.

Last edited:
Maybe with renewed interest in the DSR410, he'll consider supporting that one too...?
Might as well jump on the bandwagon. :cool:

off topic:
I'd be far more fascinated with a mod that'd let me take the digital video/audio (or transport stream) out to my computer.
I know there was one (maybe two) companies who built something like that for Dish receivers in the past.
Has anything like that come about for any of the Motorola receivers?

Sorry I'm not aware of a DSR410 but I check into it. Other then that I have some 4DTranslator owners use it with SageTV with a computer recorder. I believe its based on DirecTV guide mapping.

Lumpkin666, I not sure that bothers you so much?
Wow, I forgot about that post. Yet, thinking back on this, it still bothers me. Why? Because you represent the comments as quotes from customers. Yet, you've changed the text - I originally saw the quotes with the other product name, so I know the quotes have been changed. Anybody who is willing to "lie" (i.e. change words in a direct quote, or deliberately misquote) in order to sell a product, that bothers me.

I know that you didn't do anything to misrepresent the people's quotes, but changing their words is unethical just the same, and that bothers me. You could have done what most companies in this scenario do, which is go and get new quotes, or only use part of the quote without using the text that is no longer in context with the new name.

Either way, good luck with the product... I won't cry about your ethics any longer, as I think the concept of the product is more important at this point.

Wow, I forgot about that post. Yet, thinking back on this, it still bothers me. Why? Because you represent the comments as quotes from customers. Yet, you've changed the text - I originally saw the quotes with the other product name, so I know the quotes have been changed. Anybody who is willing to "lie" (i.e. change words in a direct quote, or deliberately misquote) in order to sell a product, that bothers me.

I know that you didn't do anything to misrepresent the people's quotes, but changing their words is unethical just the same, and that bothers me. You could have done what most companies in this scenario do, which is go and get new quotes, or only use part of the quote without using the text that is no longer in context with the new name.

Either way, good luck with the product... I won't cry about your ethics any longer, as I think the concept of the product is more important at this point.

Ok I see where you're coming from and yes I agree with you. But they are customers of DVRBLACKBOX, Inc. and I asked if that was ok with them. I got nothing back saying no, but did it so it wouldn't confuse people with multiple names on the same page. So I hope you understand my end also. If you where a customer then if I felt it was needed to change some text and you then felt I shouldn't I may remove your quote. In the end of day it's my website and my product which I support and try to promote.

I did it for product branding more then anything, I didn't intend to offend anyone. Sorry if I did.

The DSR410 should work as is, as it has no motor to contend with and uses the same remote as the 4DTV. The only issue is to map the channels into the 4DTVBB .

That's my thinking also, so Larry when do I ship yours to you?

I don't know if I can make use of one. My Tivo is connected to my Motorola box for the StarChoice channels. (no BUD, only StarChoice on my Motorola boxes) I think it's a great idea for those with a BUD. If I had a BUD, I would get it in an instant.
It would be great for connecting a DVD recorder to a StarChoice box. Unfortunately I already have one StarChoice connected to a Tivo and another StarChoice connected to a PVR, but the StarChoice box on the PVR is left on one channel all the time. I haven't had the need to record on another channel yet that this combination can not handle. I do like the idea of your box though. Is your box programable for the receiving and sending ir codes? Can you define this code in to do that code out? I'm thinking like if you have had a sling box and programed your own codes into the virtual remote on it, that idea of how to progam it.

i was going to get one of these but i i have no KU ne more so. i didnt bother. but i think it would work well. i started the other post about it when i found it awhile back

I don't know if I can make use of one. My Tivo is connected to my Motorola box for the StarChoice channels. (no BUD, only StarChoice on my Motorola boxes) I think it's a great idea for those with a BUD. If I had a BUD, I would get it in an instant.
It would be great for connecting a DVD recorder to a StarChoice box. Unfortunately I already have one StarChoice connected to a Tivo and another StarChoice connected to a PVR, but the StarChoice box on the PVR is left on one channel all the time. I haven't had the need to record on another channel yet that this combination can not handle. I do like the idea of your box though. Is your box programable for the receiving and sending ir codes? Can you define this code in to do that code out? I'm thinking like if you have had a sling box and programed your own codes into the virtual remote on it, that idea of how to progam it.

Larry,

4DTranslator is very flexible to channel mapping, but right now I need to build and update any guide mapping. I feel there are others like you in Canada who is interested for this product, but I don't fully understand what I need to do. Do you need Starchoice channels mapped to something you can use in Canada with is it? Can this be DirecTV or DishNet guides to be mapped to Starchoice? If that is true I can do that no a problem. Can 4DTranslator do other IR output no it only Motoral IR output, it looks back to a DVR to see DirecTV RCA Serial input, or Dishnet RCA IR input. There's another mapping guide for 4DTranslator but not sure it will work in Canada, but it’s a cable system which was built around 4DTV channels, this cable is Palo Alto CA 94301 is sees IR Motoral Cable box input. Most TiVos can work with this mapping guide because they can do another time shift, Guide is Pacific Time but you're not in Pacific Time most TiVo will work with that.

Steve

i was going to get one of these but i i have no KU ne more so. i didnt bother. but i think it would work well. i started the other post about it when i found it awhile back

I assume you're talking about X4 so you have a small dish for that, but now is moving to C-Band. 4DTranslator will understand when you surf channels and it will remember to channel channels for you when need to record something you ask for on TiVo, ReplayTV, or other DVR. If flexible for that because I designed it around myself with a Mpeg2 receiver.

Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)