Dying 622...what to expect from Dish on replacing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

asmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
WV/VA
long time dish customer, have had this 622 for at least 4 or 5 years now...over the last few days I havent been able to rewind programs or access my recordings when I press the DVR button...I keep getting a message telling me to unplug the receiver for 10 seconds, which doesnt seem to help at all...with that said, I've been away from these forums for quite some time so I'm just trying to touch base again to see what's new, what equipment is still being issued, etc and what I should expect from Dish when I try to get this replaced. I dont currently have the support plan, but from what I remember you used to be able to add it on when you do the online support chat. Will I even need to do this? I've had this receiver for many years and I dont think I've ever sent back any receivers over the years for replacement...will they just swap it out/replace it for being a loyal customer? What model should I expect to receive in return? Can I request a better model like the 722?

This really sucks because I had years worth of recordings that I guess I'm going to lose now.

-mcbride

i have an external seagate HD, do I need to do anything special with it? I dont want to dedicate this HD to TV though, so can I back everything up to it, then move it from there back to the internal HD of whatever receiver I get as a replacement?

i have an external seagate HD, do I need to do anything special with it? I dont want to dedicate this HD to TV though, so can I back everything up to it, then move it from there back to the internal HD of whatever receiver I get as a replacement?

You can move to the external and then move back to the replacement receiver. The drive has to be at least temporarily dedicated to Dish. You can't "share" the ext drive between PC and Dish. The Dish receiver will reformat the drive, so be sure there is nothing on it you want to keep before plugging into the receiver. After your done with the receiver swap you can reformat on your PC and use it on the PC again.

sweet, and are there any charges or anything special I need to do to be able to use it on the 622? Can someone post the step-by-steps for archiving/backing up these recordings from the 622?

do i need to add the service plan to my account prior to contacting dish chat about getting a replacement, or will they add it to my plan during the service chat? and if i cancel it a few weeks later will I be charged a penalty/downgrade fee?

You'll most likely get a refurb 622. That's what I got a couple months back when my 622 lost its mind.

do i need to add the service plan to my account prior to contacting dish chat about getting a replacement, or will they add it to my plan during the service chat? and if i cancel it a few weeks later will I be charged a penalty/downgrade fee?

Unfortuneately I think this is an "it depends" answer. I assume it's based on account history and how they rank your account. I have never had a service plan. For the two receivers I have had to replace Dish has paid shipping both ways. Others have had different experiences.

If you've had the same receiver for 4+ years, I would push back if they want to charge shipping or put you on the service plan.

If you add the service plan, then you are essentially on the hook for $30-$36, either from the penalty for cancelling before the 6 month window is up or for going ahead and riding out the six months and cancelling afterwards.

Unfortuneately I think this is an "it depends" answer. I assume it's based on account history and how they rank your account. I have never had a service plan. For the two receivers I have had to replace Dish has paid shipping both ways. Others have had different experiences.

If you've had the same receiver for 4+ years, I would push back if they want to charge shipping or put you on the service plan.

If you add the service plan, then you are essentially on the hook for $30-$36, either from the penalty for cancelling before the 6 month window is up or for going ahead and riding out the six months and cancelling afterwards.

They tried to charge shipping when my 622 went under, but I balked because it was their leased receiver that failed. They waived the shipping as 'one-time favor', so it's at least worth asking.

chatting with them now. I tried to get the upgrade to a 722, but they wouldnt even budge. Now they are demanding that I must pay for shipping for the refurb 622. I'm not going to. I've been paying the lease fees for this receiver for almost 5 years now and I think its ridiculous that you wouldnt at least send something a little newer than this old technology with the small HD...let alone demand that I pay for shipping when it's their equipment that failed.

they covered shipping...refurb will be here in a few days...if someone can post step-by-step on how to backup the recordings from the failed 622 I would greatly appreciate it.

Well... If your 622's internal drive is already toast, you're too late.

If it's still working, then plug in your EHD, agree (twice) to the formatting, wait for it to be formatted and the receiver to reboot. Then you hit the DVR button, select My Media, followed by My USB Device (or something like that), followed by Move to device, and then select everything you can followed by the Move (or is it Archive?) button. I'm writing this from memory; it's approximately like that on a 722.

thanks, i'll give this a try...when I press the DVR button now I just get the message about the failed drive. maybe I'll be able to get to the DVR features once the EHD is connected

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)