E* and D* sharing locals?????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

meldar_b

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Floyd Co. Kentucky
I just wondering if this could work:confused: in order to save bandwidth for both companies if it were possible for E* and D* to share signals from one satellite to provide local channels for their customers. the one satellite would carry nothing but local channels from all over the country that both companies could use :eek:

There was also a company that wanted to supply locals to all sat ellite subs regardless of provider. It makes perfect sense why duplicate all these channels. but at this moment no it does not exist. FWIW I understand that they share some fiber feeds and local points of presence but I can't find anything to verify that.

Why stop at locals. There's really no reason they could share all the bandwith...

Now put on your reality hat....

DirecTV has spent a huge amount of money on the new Spaceway Sats. Eventually they claim they'll have bandwidth for 1500 local Hi-Def channels.

They have no reason to share (though it's gonna be 2007 before they get any more national bandwidth).

sAShaggy: I was reading your signature line.... How did you determine the "World's Fastest Car"? Is that just in a specific class or something? I have read that the British Ultima GTR is the world's fastest and was just wondering as they all use semantics. AND its WAY under $1.2M - What do you think? One is really listing top speed and the other is the fastest?

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/usa/prices.html

The GTR720 - Chevrolet V8: FULLY STREET LEGAL chevy V8 = parts EVERYWHERE and inexpensive too.
0-60mph - 2.6 secs
0-100mph - 5.3 secs
Standing ¼ mile - 9.9secs

charper1 said:
The GTR720 - Chevrolet V8: FULLY STREET LEGAL chevy V8 = parts EVERYWHERE and inexpensive too.
0-60mph - 2.6 secs
0-100mph - 5.3 secs

Man, I remember when only guys like Big Daddy Roth and Don Gartlass (spelling??) turned those kind of quarters in the '60s. But those were dragsters with names like Outlaw & Swamp Rat (long time ago). Amazing to have that kind of speed in inexpensive, street-legal cars today.:D

Although I did have a 383 Cuda in '69 that was pretty quick. I think the 440 GTX was about as good as it got back then though. I thought the era of the "super-car" ended with the oil embargo.:(

charper1 said:
sAShaggy: I was reading your signature line.... How did you determine the "World's Fastest Car"? Is that just in a specific class or something? I have read that the British Ultima GTR is the world's fastest and was just wondering as they all use semantics. AND its WAY under $1.2M - What do you think? One is really listing top speed and the other is the fastest?

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/usa/prices.html

0-60mph - 2.6 secs
0-100mph - 5.3 secs

I cant name the exact place... i do believe it was autoweek or something saying how it was the fastest production cars... i need to change it... but w/e.... anyway back to the locals... would E* have to take D* encryption, and would that be a step in the right direction for stoping hackers?

what did come of the merger idea? did fcc can the idea? who ownes each now? like dishnet has deals with sbc wich is turning into att. but does sbc or att have any interest in the company? is echostar still the parent company? how did echostar change names to dish network? thanks!

Dish Network: owned by parent company EchoStar Communications Corporation

DirecTV: owned by DirecTV Group, which is controlled by News Corporation's Fox Entertainment Group.

The FCC doesn't plan mergers. However than rule on mergers. There will be no merger of the two based on the thought that would promote a monopoly or be anti-competitive in nature.

SimpleSimon said:
Unfortunately, you're probably right. However, the big technical stumbling block (D* MPEG 1.5 vs. E* MPEG-2) IS going away.

Simple,

That is NOT the real reason this will NOT work. The biggest reason is that both companies use totally different encrpytion systems that are NOT Compatible with each other.

John

Even if they shared all sats and transmissions, they would not lower our rates. They would just show more profit to their stockholders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)