E* downloaded a 7 minute ad to my 510 this morning

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
Turned on my 510 in my bedroom while getting ready for work and noticed a 4am recording that I didn't set up.

It was an infomercial about how I am supposed to sell my neighbors to the benefits of a PVR and how I'll get $5 a month for successfully hooking them up to E*.

The "homeowners" were really bad actors.

Just wanted to tip you off that E* is starting this practice.........

Actually I wish they would do this with the Charlie Chat and the Tech Chat... Could be a good way to keep customers informed who don't realize that Channel 101 has more than remote control programming instructions on it....

I'll have to check it on the 508 when I get home tonight.

It went at 4, huh? I have a program setup that goes at 4 every morning...have to see what happened :)

I reporter last week on the Retailer Charlie Chat that they were going to do this.

Charlie was asked what if people don't like getting these ads downloaded and he said, they don't have to watch them, then can just erase them.

He also mentioned that these videos were being stored in Echostar reseved space on the hard drive so the ads are not taking up your recording space.

I agree. It is no big deal to me, and I can erase it. I watched this one out of curiosity, and 7 minutes wasn't going to trigger a deletion of anyone's shows to make room (putting it in reserved space took that concern away as well).

How about Charley pays us an extra $5/month for allowing him to use our hard drive for his ads??? Don't forget, we own these receivers. I don't care if it's in their reserved space or not and especially if his ads take priority over what we have scheduled to record.

If you have something scheduled to record it will NOT bump your recording, it will just try again at a later date (that could be a way to hold it at bay..... set a 4am timer for every day)

And ACTUALLY, if you take him up on his offer he WILL pay you $5 a month..... for each subscriber you hook up...........

As a Met fan, I thought you might embrace ANY enterprise that refuses to pay George Steinbrenner the King's ransom he wants for his Yankee games. We get our Mets games and George misses out on 1,000,000 subscribers who don't have access to his YES network in the NY/NJ/CT market.

If they are out of market football fans or Yankee fans then DO tell them to look elsewhere. Otherwise, I don't see the dilemma. Viacom and Turner are now locked in for long term commitments and FOX is next on the list, but is expected to play nice since they have binding arbitration as a last resort before any signal interruption as a condition of Rupert's takeover of D*.

I've always been a big supporter of Dish and still am. There's always been people on this and other forums that constantly complain and criticise Dishnetwork. But these are the type of people who would complain even if the service was free, had 1000 Hd channels, billion gig hard drive Tivo's etc.

But lately I think you'll notice that even Dish supporters are complaining about what is going on with Dish. The breaking point for me was and is the 921 receiver for which we have been eagerly awaiting the last 3 years. What a mess. Just take a look at the problems with that receiver. And the lies about the Firewire output. Compounding the anger is seeing the D* Tivo up and running without any (major) problems. Throw in the DVR fees, no name based recording, no new "compelling" HD programming, Superdish flip-flop, bugs everywhere, etc. and you can see why people are up in arms.

I dont know if I should complaign about Dish anymore, Charlie just said on his Earnings Confrence call that customers who complaign are frowned down upon and will not be offered upgardes to new equipment. :(

Once again, you get more with honey than vinegar.

I NEVER give a CSR grief. Sometimes I'll sound frustrated and try to convey that frustration over the phone, but I never take it out on the CSR. It doesn't accomplish anything and does NOTHING to motivate them to give more effort than they already are. I do appeal and say that I am usually a "happy" customer, but blah blah....

Hey Scott, give me a 721 or a 522 that works right or sell me a 921 that works right with active ports and two supuerdishes one for my locals which is on 105 and the other for HD on 121 and I'll shut up. hahahaha

We know that they monitor these forums and while they may consider us early adopters the lunatic fringe, we also tend to be their best customers. If we don't complain, and voice our discontent, then things will only get worse.

"Hey, since our customers don't have a problem paying $5 per receiver, lets try charging them a per recording fee too."

Scott Greczkowski said:
I dont know if I should complaign about Dish anymore, Charlie just said on his Earnings Confrence call that customers who complaign are frowned down upon and will not be offered upgardes to new equipment. :(

You're not serious are you? Nah. That can't be true. Can he be that much of a prick?

If it is true, it would thoroughly justify any anti-Dish sentiment expressed by current, past, and even non, Dish customers.

Also, if it's true, it needs to be sticky, in big bold letter, up at the top of the forum.

If old Charlie did say that then he is in the same company as Good old boy George W. Bush. IF you criticize him you are considered unpatriotic and will most likely get an audit by the I.R.S. .

They say absolute power corrupts absolutely. :rolleyes:

Charlie said that they have a system for determining whether a customer is worthy of a retention offer when they call to quit.

If they are a short term subscriber, don't pay on time, and call to complain often - they do not value them highly and will not spend money to retain them. This was in response to a question from an analyst who asked about retention costs. Charlie is proud of their system and called it "very disciplined."

Probably good business and nothing to get upset about. IMO.

Of course, there was lots of other Bravo Sierra that was upsetting in the call from a E* perspective... like pitiful problems with hardware and software - and a lack of acknowledgment of same.

Edit: Typo

Yeah - ask Hillary about the FBI files of their opponents in the White House.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/archive/1999/printer_254.shtml

MikeD-C05 said:
If old Charlie did say that then he is in the same company as Good old boy George W. Bush. IF you criticize him you are considered unpatriotic and will most likely get an audit by the I.R.S. .

MikeD-C05 said:

Another Bush basher bitching and complaining about leadership.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts