E* equipment vs D*

branchbouncer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 5, 2004
Massanutten,VA
Is it just me or is the E* equipment like add on parts to something.I am not trying to insult anyone but seek some info.It seems to me that the E* equipment is made so that when something changes slightly you need new equip.We have been with D* for over 9 years and something bought then is still compatable with new equipment made now,ie:an older stb 9+ years old pluged in to the Hughes HTL-HD stb gets everything just no HD.When I checked about the E* equipment to try to get the HD pak-VOOM pak all I read is this won't work with this,this lnb works only on equipment made prior to this.Any info about what you would need to get just the E* HD pak/VOOM HD would be great,as I said not trying to piss anyone off

1st - Are you an existing Dish Network Sub?

All the dish equipment made still works to different degrees there is just different scenarios.

The thing about the LNBs is that dish has 2 kinds of LNB Technology. The both work it's just the 2 have differences which means they cant be mixed.

Legacy LNBs are like generic LNBs that dish started with, DirecTV still uses and Voom did use.

The new technology LNB that dish uses is DishPro, these LNBs use bandwidth stacking, which means the odd and even transponders are sent through the cable at different frequencies.

As for HD all dish network channels are now on 8PSK. When dish started with HD, it was on the standard QPSK, which is also what DirecTV still uses.

So the 6000 HD receiver was not shipped with 8PSK and later dish sent an 8psk to 6000 owners for them to install it.

I could go deeper but this is all I feel like typing for now :)

Not a E* sub just trying to get the HD paks from E* and VOOM already have D* don't want to cancel till I get to see what all those TV's are looking to the sky for(probably just wondering what the hell is taking so long ,LOL)Just need to get an idea of what equipment I would need to get to try out the service.HD mainly,with out spending too much and with no long term contract,A\as before ay info would be great

Just buy a cheap 811, a cheap DP 500 Twin, a cheap DP 300 single and a cheap DP34 switch. You'll be set with no commitment.

Buy the following.

811 receiver

Dish 500 - dish pointing at 119 and 110 (you could get by with a dish 300 pointing at 110 only and then would only need a Dish Pro Single or Dual instead of the following DP Twin) - w/Dish Pro Twin LNBF

Dish 300 - dish pointing at 61.5 - w/Dish Pro Single or dual LNBF

When everything is setup, call and activate your receiver and order the HD-Pak and VOOM add-on

Monthly cost $9.99 HD-Pak + $5 VOOM add-on + $5 fee for having no AT package.

NightRyder

What kind of satellite is your D* dish?

Because if you go all legacy, then you wouldn't need a Dish500, because the directv triple sat dish already looks at 110 and 119.

And if you also still have the old 18" directv dish you can swing that over to 61.5

Then the only thing you'd need is a 2 sw21 switches and an 811.

If your directv dish is the kind with the switch built in, then I'm not sure if that would work. If you have 3 seperate lnbs then that would work

Thanks for the info people,it's so much better to hear from people with experence than to talk to a outsourced CSR or tech,if I have future questions I hope you don't mind me asking-THANKS

BFG said:
What kind of satellite is your D* dish?

Because if you go all legacy, then you wouldn't need a Dish500, because the directv triple sat dish already looks at 110 and 119.

And if you also still have the old 18" directv dish you can swing that over to 61.5

Then the only thing you'd need is a 2 sw21 switches and an 811.

If your directv dish is the kind with the switch built in, then I'm not sure if that would work. If you have 3 seperate lnbs then that would work

I have the triple lnb with the switch built in----I have the VOOM dish(18") pointed in that direction 61.5 I belive,I don't want to use the D* for E* because it feeds the rest of the TV's(Kids rooms) unless I decide to switch to E*----------what is the "2 sw21 switch "for the 811---again -thanks

branchbouncer said:
I have the triple lnb with the switch built in----I have the VOOM dish(18") pointed in that direction 61.5 I belive,I don't want to use the D* for E* because it feeds the rest of the TV's(Kids rooms) unless I decide to switch to E*----------what is the "2 sw21 switch "for the 811---again -thanks
That will NOT work for E* reception.

Just do what the earlier guys said - D500 plus D300. Make sure both are EITHER Legacy or DishPro. Now, connection options. Twin on the 500 needs SW21s (Legacy) for DP21s (DishPro) to add the 61.5 bird. If you get a DPPlus-Twin LNBF instead of the standard one, then no external switch is needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts