E* HD Spotbeam Channels for HI/AL

richiephx

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I noticed in the E* channel chart that several HD channels, like TNT, SHO, DiscTh (to name a few), that we currently get in MPEG2 are uplinked on spotbeams for Hawaii and Alaska in MPEG4. If we get these channels now in MPEG2, why can't we get them in MPEG4 if it's available? I would think the picture quality would be better? Can we not get the spotbeams? Am I missing something here?

I am no expert but spotbeams tells me you have to be under the Hawaii/Alaska footprint of the spotbeam to get the Hawaii and Alaska channels. In other words they are not conus. Did you mean you think they should start broadcasting these channels in mpeg4 conus or are you within the spotbeams of those states and just not actually located in them? Sorry if I am just incorrect. Apologize for being slightly analytical or misunderstanding what you are saying.

These are pretty big spot beams, but only cover AK and HI. They do not spill even a little bit into the mainland.

At the top of the channel chart there is a link for spot beam maps. Take a look at those spot beams. You have to be receiving the signal right there in order to get the MPEG 4 versions.

The MPEG4 conversion for us mainlanders will happen "soon". If you take a look at the channel chart you will see that Universal HD, National Geographic HD and A&E HD have MPEG4 versions hiding in the wings for us.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)