E* New HD Channels not on full screen

mrsdrgn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
What's up with E*? The new HD channels like Discovery Science, TLC and Animal Planet are not filling the screen. I have black bars on both side of my screen.

Don't think he is talking about a format problem. The channels he is talking about are broadcasting in something that looks like 15:9 instead of 16:9 and is leaving black bars on the right and the left when in normal mode. Not really sure if these are anything more than upconverted shows that are not being made full 16:9

Don't think he is talking about a format problem. The channels he is talking about are broadcasting in something that looks like 15:9 instead of 16:9 and is leaving black bars on the right and the left when in normal mode. Not really sure if these are anything more than upconverted shows that are not being made full 16:9

There's another thread on this issue. If it doesn't fill the screen it is upconverted and cropped SD.

It all depends on the show most of them take up the whole screen.

Last edited:
what I find odd is some of the upconverts were recorded in HD.. I remember watching blue planet on animal planet and it's in that wacky cropped format.. though I do love the discovery channels they need to suck it up and do a little better on their hd offerings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)