E* New York DMA Sports fans getting the shaft

For New York DMA users only please - "Hey Dish! Please add ....."

• Total voters
This still won't work. Providers have to get theirs too, so by placing an amount over top or the cost of equipment going up to ridiculous amounts. I want ala carte as much as the next person, but ultimately it's a failed idea. Don't even get ala carte on Netflix. You pay their calculated cost for everything they have regardless of what you watch.

This still won't work. Providers have to get theirs too, so by placing an amount over top or the cost of equipment going up to ridiculous amounts. I want ala carte as much as the next person, but ultimately it's a failed idea. Don't even get ala carte on Netflix. You pay their calculated cost for everything they have regardless of what you watch.
Bad comparison.
Netflix is $7-12 a month.
No one even comes close to the content Netflix has at that price.

Sure the movies are C+ B- at best overall, But HD and 4K available, and a ton of other programs from across the board.
From multiple networks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The current price is meaningless. Tv use to be free, now we are discussing how expensive it is. The relevancy is there as you don't watch all their content, or anywhere near half it, why should you have to pay for it? The point is do not underestimate the stupidity of the American consumer. They want what they want at the price they are willing to pay, and until we reach budgeting or accounting or something close to that in High school as a requirement, high prices for WANTS will continue and will continue to rise. Knock out tv competition and you will be paying top dollar for Netflix as well. The channel and content owners will demand more from Netflix. Right now it is not a serious enough threat to require it but almost was...

It's not a failed idea. It may not work for the traditional providers but iTunes, Amazon, and Vudu have been letting people buy the exact content they want for years and they all seem to be doing pretty well.

We'll probably never know if the traditional cable/satellite companies could adapt to that kind of business model because none of them have been willing to try it.

Reactions: osu1991
I still say the stupidity and ignorance of the consumer is what will destroy what could be great. People like shiny things, easy marketability. Do you honestly thing the content owners will allow Netflix and Hulu and all the others to survive after traditional tv is gone, without paying a premium for it? Do you really think the FCC won't step in and make some stupid regulations that encourage the prices to go right back up... Again... It's happened once, it will happen again. Same track different horse.

I still say the stupidity and ignorance of the consumer is what will destroy what could be great. People like shiny things, easy marketability. Do you honestly thing the content owners will allow Netflix and Hulu and all the others to survive after traditional tv is gone, without paying a premium for it? Do you really think the FCC won't step in and make some stupid regulations that encourage the prices to go right back up... Again... It's happened once, it will happen again. Same track different horse.

What is the consumer doing that is stupid and ignorant? Choosing to get their content through a different corporation than you?

I didn't say traditional TV will die. I think it will still be around for quite a while simply because it is so big now. Even if customers are gradually leaving it will take a very long time for it to collapse.

If traditional TV does collapse it will be because the market decided not to support it. Some people just don't put that much value on what the cable networks have to offer. If the industry does die someday and the content owners make your prediction true and don't allow Netflix and Hulu (Hulu is owned by TV networks) to survive where are they going to sell their content?

The prices may very well go up for Netflix and Hulu. The reason they are successful now is because they provide a ton of content for very little money. I'm still paying $7.99 for Netflix and at that price I don't mind being a long time subscriber even if don't watch content on Netflix every day. Many of the combos at Arby's cost that much.

They have a long ways to go before coming anywhere close to what people pay for cable. If it gets out of hand, the people who keep their subscriptions active month after month out of convenience like myself will end up canceling. People are willing to pay fast food combo prices for Netflix every month but I doubt many would be willing to pay $100. I haven't heard anyone claim they are willing to ride that ship out to the end no matter how much they charge. I certainly won't.

Last edited:
What is the consumer doing that is stupid and ignorant? Choosing to get their content through a different corporation than you?

I didn't say traditional TV will die. I think it will still be around for quite a while simply because it is so big now. Even if customers are gradually leaving it will take a very long time for it to collapse.

If traditional TV does collapse it will be because the market decided not to support it. Some people just don't put that much value on what the cable networks have to offer. If the industry does die someday and the content owners make your prediction true and don't allow Netflix and Hulu (Hulu is owned by TV networks) to survive where are they going to sell their content?

The prices may very well go up for Netflix and Hulu. The reason they are successful now is because they provide a ton of content for very little money. I'm still paying $7.99 for Netflix and at that price I don't mind being a long time subscriber even if don't watch content on Netflix every day. Many of the combos at Arby's cost that much.

They have a long ways to go before coming anywhere close to what people pay for cable. If it gets out of hand, the people who keep their subscriptions active month after month out of convenience like myself will end up canceling. People are willing to pay fast food combo prices for Netflix every month but I doubt many would be willing to pay $100. I haven't heard anyone claim they are willing to ride that ship out to the end no matter how much they charge. I certainly won't.

You can bet when Sat/cable go belly up (still a while off I think), the price of Netflix, Hulu, Roku, Apple TV, Network streaming, et al, will start heading north and there will be no alternative at that point except to give it up or at least cut back. Which is what many of us rural customers with 3 MB DSL or less will have to do, go without. Maybe we'll be better off. Lesser viewed channels will go away unless they get swallowed into Netflix or Hulu. Hulu is owned by the networks so you know that will be one of the first to start raising prices.

Reactions: Tampa8
We in the New York area pay for regional sports nets like every other market and we get .....

YES? No.
SNY? Sorry
MSG? Missing too.

Meanwhile, ESPN and other superstations are blacked out when our local teams are included.

I'm mainly a frustrated Mets fan. They used to carry SNY until it just disappeared one day. I thought it was another short term outage while they hammered out a deal. That was 3 or 4 years ago. When they were awful, it didn't hurt as much.... Now they are a World Series team, and I want to watch them more regularly, especially on weeknights (a few of their weekend games are on free broadcast TV and ESPN, but blacked out for us).

At the very least we should get a programming discount of a few bucks since we don't GET a regional sports net. I realize they ceded most sports fans to DirecTv years ago, but I'm banging the drum to get them to bring at least SNY back.

I got excited when I heard that a class action suit had made MLB.TV have more consumer friendly terms, with a option for following a single team. As I have an XBox One with an MLB.TV app, I thought my problem was solved, but NOPE. Out of market only. Blackouts still in home markets.

C'mon E*. Can I PLEASE have SNY back? You owe it to New York DMA subscribers to have at least ONE regional sports net.
4 years and you STILL are with Dish? You have the patience of a saint.
Sorry to tell you this....Based on all info seen here on satelliteguys.us and other places, the bridges between Dish and the three NY RSN's have been burned and demolished. The scrap carted away...
BTW, read this.....http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2016/2/...details-extra-innings-mlb-tv-packages-cheaper..
I think this also applies to those with Dish as well. I would imagine that since Dish which offered MLB EI last season, may do so for 2016 but has not not as of yet signed a deal. Dish has a habit of these 11th hour signings.
So. while you will not be able to see the Mets ( or as Keith Hernandez laughlingly refers to them as "The Metsies") on Dish, you may be able to see them on MLB.tv..and if you have a half decent internet connection, you'll be pleased with the video quality.

And where did I say it wasn't?
NY state is not a Big Ten state.
And if you want to get Technical not all of NJ is NY DMA.
It's also part of the Philadelphia DMA

Umm Penn State and U of Maryland are in the Big Ten.....
And your "thing" about NY NOT being a Big Ten state is splitting hairs.
Since NJ has no DMA of its own, it has to be claimed.....NY to the north. PA to the south....

I remember way back in the 90s with the SportsChannel days, they used to charge $10 a channel a la carte, and few subscribed to it.... They made it a $1 and everyone had to get it as built in to the 2nd tier package.... I'm hoping for a similar situation here, as I just reupped with E* for 2 years to get a Hopper3 w/4 Joey upgrade in my house this month. I remember back when George Steingrabber was still vertical, Charlie offered to make YES an optional channel and give them 100% of the revenue, but he blanched, demanding it be in a second tier package at a minimum for all subscribers.

It's just frustrating the hoops you have to go through to watch a pro sports team in the #1 media market.
The Dolans tried that crap with SportsChannel and MSG
Since they owned Cablevision it didn't matter to those of us that were in a Cablevision service area. However, the Dolans went to all of the then small cable companies in the NY Metro area and basically told them that if they wanted Sportchannel on their lineup, it had to be included as a lower tier channel. Since there was no other way to view the Mets, Devils, Nets, Cosmos( NASL) and some college sports, the other cable co's were over a barrel.
LO and behold, a couple years later, The parent company of MSG did the same thing, MSG went dark for a period of time before returning.

$15-$20 for just ESPN doesn't sound appeasing at all.
Then ESPN would see a lot fewer viewers. So what?...
The ONLY reason ESPN has so many sports properties in their stable is because of their unusual status and the fact that ESPN's owners have been successful at convincing the sports fan that he or she NEEDS ESPN....
Well at nearly 6 bucks a month, over 7 million customers ( ESPN's figures) have said "nope not paying it any more".
For me ESPN has become far too political. Fer too left wing political. I don't watch ANY of their programming. None of it. Every single show of theirs always touches on some political aspect. And ESPN loves to inject their editorial viewpoint.
And THAT is going to be their downfall. And not due to editorial bias. But because people watch sports to escape politics and the events of the day.

Actually Time warner, Verizon Fios, Optimum , Adams,Blue Ridge, Service Electric, and RCN also carry YES in parts of the NY sports DMA.
I think Comcast Footprint is mostly in Northern NJ only.

Don't forget Cablevision...

Can't switch to DirecTV. Locked into uniquely 'Dish' Greek Package. Just hoping for some movement on RSN in future...
You can always buy the least expensive package from the incumbent cable co for baseball season?.
One thing, is having tv from the home land or not having it, a 'life changing' issue?
What do you mean by "locked into"..?

Umm Penn State and U of Maryland are in the Big Ten.....
And your "thing" about NY NOT being a Big Ten state is splitting hairs.
Since NJ has no DMA of its own, it has to be claimed.....NY to the north. PA to the south....
Didn't say they weren't either, PA is a Huge Big Ten state.
NY isn't .
Parts of PA get Big Ten Even Pike county PA which is a Different DMA the Wayne and Monroe.
NJ doesn't have a DMA.
I bet that's got alot to do with why they don't have anything.

Is it like Southern New Hampshire where there is only one option for cable? Comcast controls the cable option here, but right next door in Massachusetts (literally) my neighbors have FiOS as a second "cable" option. No FiOS on my side of the fence.
No kidding. You live that close to the state line?
Look, knowing the tax situation in MA, consider yourself fortunate that some overzealous boy scout doesn't take it upon himself to discover some obscure surveyor's error that moves the state line and places you in "Taxachusetts"..Tv just ain't that important.
And if you think my scenario above is far fetched....
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...ower-or-just-all-wetdeadline-looms-in/132011/
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/o...carolinas-fixed-their-blurred-lines.html?_r=0

I don't want ANY RSNs added, if it adds so much as a PENNY to my bill. I don't watch sports, I don't like sports, and I certainly don't want to PAY for sports.

May the NFL go bankrupt.
Ok..Hang on a second....You don't like sports. That's fine. That does not give you license to advocate others be deprived( like hoping the NFL goes bankrupt) of something just because YOU don't like it.
You have an opinion. Others have theirs. I will thank you for leaving it right there...
Case closed.

Wasn't part of the MLB.tv deal that you can pay $10 more and get your team regardless of the channel they are on, minus the Dodgers and a couple others.
There is a new deal based on the settlement of a class action lawsuit...
The charge for a single team subscription for the entire season is $84.95. NO blackouts. And the price for that cannot be increased by more than the standard COLA through the 2020 season.

I respectfully disagree.
I think the naysaying and sky will fall commentary regarding a la carte is much ado about some folks fear of change or straying from the status quo...
Its sort of why most people are fed up with congress, but they keep electing "their guy".....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)