E* Picture Quality - Locals vs ESPN

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ransack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 13, 2003
Virginia
I must say that the PQ on my Wash DC locals is pathetic. Sometimes you don't realize it until it smacks you in the face...like today.

I PVR'd the late CBS NFL Game & they were showing the Rams-Jets game in OT, so i started watching it. A few minutes ago, I am watching NFL primeTime on ESPN and they are showing the highlights of the Rams game. Talk about a night and day difference. ESPN looks like HD compared to my local CBS station. The picture on ESPN is bright and the colors are vibrant (And it's even less pixelated).

I'm sure someone will tell me it because of a different satellite or spotbeam or whatever....the point is the PQ sucks...Period.

pq

All my locals are terrible to. The cbs local out of Macon, Ga is the worse channel I get. It is not just the locals my espn2 is also terrible.

Locals suck because E* compresses the crap out of them to be able to fit them all on the satellite. Nothing can be done til more bandwidth is avaliable i guess. That's what they will tell you anyway.

jlhugh said:
Locals suck because E* compresses the crap out of them to be able to fit them all on the satellite.
Uh, I beg to differ jlhugh, they compress the good out of those channels so all we're left with is the crap. :D

:mad:

I'm thankful for my digital OTA receiver (and now the 921 which is one too). :) Not hardly any compression on OTA HD, and not near as much on the OTA SD simulcast as we get from Dish.

But, E*, not everyone has or can use a digital OTA receiver, so don't let that be an excuse to leave the ugly high compression on our locals...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)