Any danger in posting R00 & S00 numbers when selling?

Ransack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 13, 2003
Virginia
If i sell my E* receivers on ebay, is it ok to post the R00 & S00 #'s?

I am assuming someone can't do anything malicious besides verifying if there is a balance on them..

I suppose, if someone wanted to and you had already removed and released from your account, they could add it to theirs and hold it hostage, would cost them $5 a month for something they don't have though.

I don't know if a hacker needs any additional info to "clone" your unit and receive whatever you or the new owner are paying for, this would give them a "known good" set of numbers.

Pepper said:
I suppose, if someone wanted to and you had already removed and released from your account, they could add it to theirs and hold it hostage, would cost them $5 a month for something they don't have though.

I've been thinking of selling my 811 and had the same question. Am I reading you're reply correctly, that there's a difference between removing and releasing a receiver from an account? I already had the programming turned off on the 811, how do I release it?

Thanks,
Mike

I would put in the auction that you will gladly supply the R & S #'s if someone is intereasted to verify there is no balance.
I've done that and never had any issues

iammike said:
I've been thinking of selling my 811 and had the same question. Am I reading you're reply correctly, that there's a difference between removing and releasing a receiver from an account? I already had the programming turned off on the 811, how do I release it?

Thanks,
Mike

It would be released if someone wanted to activate it.

I've unhooked many receivers and forgot to tell them to release it and the new owner was able to get it going.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)