E vs D

fish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Does anyone know where we can view a side by side comparison of

D vs E hD?

I mean the channels each offer currently in HD.

Hey Mark,

I too have both. What do you think? Is it time to dump dish?
I still think their hd dvr is in a class by itself. As much as i want to I cant kick
dish to the curb.

I do not have allegiane to either company.
Anyone else have both? what do you think?

You will also need to add a column to your comparison that shows which HD channels have any actual HD on them and a column for how many hours of it if they do. Also, add a column to show the aspect ratio - 16x9, OAR, or Stretch-o-vision.

We all know who has more HD, but for those that have both services which has the best looking SD? I just want a unbiased comparison, to help me decide if I should dump Dish and go with Directv or stay where I'm at??

More HD channels is the not the same as more HD.

Go with the company that provides you with the programming you want. Who has more what is irrelevant.

You need both! Dish has much better menu and guide plus 722 dvr and direct has the hd channels menu sucks.

I'm not saying I would dump Dish just because Directv has more HD channels, I was asking about the SD quality? Is there really a difference between the two (picture quality) SD wise?

I'm not saying I would dump Dish just because Directv has more HD channels, I was asking about the SD quality? Is there really a difference between the two (picture quality) SD wise?

I think the biggest complaint about SD quality is the SD locals and that is going to vary from city to city. You will see results both ways depending on where you live. Your actual location may help get you a better answer.

I think the biggest complaint about SD quality is the SD locals and that is going to vary from city to city. You will see results both ways depending on where you live. Your actual location may help get you a better answer.

I live in Greenville, NC 27858

I had Dish Network's full "Everything Pak" but when D* added all those HD channels, I scaled back my Dish programming to their smallest package and HD LiL's and OTA HD. I've been using DirecTV for all the mainstream hi def national and movie channels and after only two months, the hard drive is near full! The two services really compliment each other. Dish has a much better DVR with their 622 and a much better OTA tuner, but DirecTV has the best line-up for me.

As for SD, I really haven't done a super close comparison as I don't watch much SD content on either system, but would have to give a slight edge to DirecTV on national channels. However, we are in an extremely rural DMA, and our locals on D* are absolutely terrible. Worse than an mpeg movie on the net.

The premium movie channels in hi def, both in number as well as quality, are far better on Direc than Dish, especially the MPEG4 ones. Those are amazing, rivaling the HD I've seen on my C-band system (which is almost defunct now). They're doing a pretty good job right now and I hope D* doesn't start overcompressing channels to fit thenm on their satellites like E* has been doing.

I had Dish Network's full "Everything Pak" but when D* added all those HD channels, I scaled back my Dish programming to their smallest package and HD LiL's and OTA HD. I've been using DirecTV for all the mainstream hi def national and movie channels and after only two months, the hard drive is near full! The two services really compliment each other. Dish has a much better DVR with their 622 and a much better OTA tuner, but DirecTV has the best line-up for me.

As for SD, I really haven't done a super close comparison as I don't watch much SD content on either system, but would have to give a slight edge to DirecTV on national channels. However, we are in an extremely rural DMA, and our locals on D* are absolutely terrible. Worse than an mpeg movie on the net.

The premium movie channels in hi def, both in number as well as quality, are far better on Direc than Dish, especially the MPEG4 ones. Those are amazing, rivaling the HD I've seen on my C-band system (which is almost defunct now). They're doing a pretty good job right now and I hope D* doesn't start overcompressing channels to fit thenm on their satellites like E* has been doing.

I'm setup much the same way and agree with everything but the national SD comment. SD is better on E* to my eyes.

You know i really mean no offense to anyone for this remark. But why would you have both sat subs. Im an avid tv/movie watcher but could not justify having both services or three if they still have cable to. Those that do have both are you married (lol) if you are how the hell did you pull that one off i bow down before you all :}

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)