Early Contract Termination

dishsystems said:
The worst part of this whole deal for dish is that new subscribers on the dha have no contract....as a retailer im screwed! Remember....if you cancel new subscriber deals only happen once...next ime there is no break.

That is a bad deal for you, I feel for all the retailers that could get screwed. Do you think Cha*lie will let you off the hook? Probably not. I will most likely wait to see what happens and not jump ship. But do you think sports mania guy will give a s*it NO. He will be on the first train to March Madness Town. DISH could stand to loose a lot, and not just money. This is a bad deal all the way around.

TEX

Tex Ram said:
If I have not received the services than they have nothing to collect on. A contract is a legal matter, not dealt with by collection agencies. What would DISH report to the credit reporting companies, I owe them for something I did not get? Credit by definition is I will pay you later for what you give me today.

I am not saying that Dish, or collection agencies, or the whole credit reporting system is morally and ethically correct. (I don't care for the whole thing, myself.)

However, if you don't pay you're Dish bill, your account will go to a collection agaeency, and it will be reported to the big 3 credit reporting agencies. It is that simple.

It doesn't matter whether you or I think Dish broke their part of the agreement, or not.

I have no contract, and my retailer sold and installed the dish/receiver for a pittance. I'm sure that he would be hurt financially if people like me cancelled. But I have no intention of doing so if this is resolved in a reasonable amount of time. I subscribe to AT 60 (plus HBO until Sopranos season 5 ends). With a $10 credit for 15 months, I'm perfectly satisfied with the value that I am receiving, but I do hope that Comedy Central returns to the line-up soon.

As for the contract with Dish issue for those who have a 1 year contract, I suspect that, depending on the laws of your state, you indeed would be able to cancel your service agreement. There's a question of fact as to when the provider fails to substantially perform, but I suspect that such a decrease in programming would meet that standard, especially if it continues for awhile.

I simply don't make financial commitments for entertainment (season tickets to sporting events, etc.), so I only subscribed to satellite television once the commitment factor was removed.

Even if Dish were to allow you to cancel your contract through them without penalty that does not mean that Dish would not penalize the retailer that sold and installed the system for you in which would return expect you to pay them a cancellation fee. The Dish retailers could not afford to allow all the consumers to not pay back all of those charge back that they would receive.

On top of that even if the retailers would collect from the consumers for what they were penalized the retailers would still get an additional penalty due to too many chargebacks within a certain amount of time which causes them to get a bad rating and have to pay more for the receivers when they already pay retail price plus shipping for them, as much as double the retail price. It almost seems like Dish has something to gain here in many cases rather than something to lose unless the retailers that would get penalized like this would choose to quit and Dish would have a lot less retailers selling their product but selling DirecTv instead.

Stargazer said:
Even if Dish were to allow you to cancel your contract through them without penalty that does not mean that Dish would not penalize the retailer that sold and installed the system for you in which would return expect you to pay them a cancellation fee. The Dish retailers could not afford to allow all the consumers to not pay back all of those charge back that they would receive.

On top of that even if the retailers would collect from the consumers for what they were penalized the retailers would still get an additional penalty due to too many chargebacks within a certain amount of time which causes them to get a bad rating and have to pay more for the receivers when they already pay retail price plus shipping for them, as much as double the retail price. It almost seems like Dish has something to gain here in many cases rather than something to lose unless the retailers that would get penalized like this would choose to quit and Dish would have a lot less retailers selling their product but selling DirecTv instead.

Quite frankly, it doesn't seem fair to the retailers. Dish gets $240 from the consumer AND money back from the retailer? It seems the only loser is the retailer.

Has anyone cancelled service that they got through a retailer, and NOT been charged from the retailer?

Has anyone had the $240 charge from Dish waived?

believe me.. when a customer cancells and a customer screams about contract.. Dish scrambles for a signed contract from the installer. they call us all the time to fax us service agreements and contract forms.

If you didn't sign one, they'll take it out on the installing company after they let you go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)