East Coast (NC) signal strength question DISH vs Directv

I can't totally agree. If a good look at 129 there is a little less rain fade and almost no problems with snow collecting from the WA. I have both arcs.
The wild card is not having to aim at 77 also. That may raise the EA signal, lessen rain fade, just be left with more snow collecting. By the way - with WA in something like 13 years I can count maybe twice or three times snow collecting and blocking the signal, in about three years or so on the EA it's more often every winter, and several times in some single snow storms. On all those occasions except once last Winter the WA was clear of snow.

As for rain fade, Tampa and some other Florida installations went from EA to WA because of less rain fade, the difference there is much heavier rain on a regular sometimes daily afternoon basis than you see to the North. He may well see less times he loses a signal with the WA but he has to have a good look at 129.

I also have receivers looking at both WA (1000.2) and EA (1000.4.) Though I live in the southeast, without the elevation issues on the 129, and of course no snowfall issues with the EA 1000.4. I would say the 1000.2 WA and 1000.4 EA are comparable in rain fade length and duration at my location.

With 129 being at half the elevation of 77 in Raleigh, you're going to have to hope that there's no obstacles in the way. I don't think that Raleigh has enough snowfall to worry about collection, even if it does, depending on the dish location, one can simply place a garbage bag on it, use a super soaker with warm water, or install a heating element. It really depends on LOS. Perhaps you are right, WA would be the first preference, however since OP stated that they had issues before with WA, then they should try EA. However depending on when they had Dish, the issues could have been related to the old wobbly EchoStar V, the weak Dish 1000.0, or both.

As for rain fade, technically with EA and WA having comparable signal levels, WA 129 could actually experience more rain fade more often in Raleigh, since the dish is looking much lower towards the sat, and thus, looking through more atmosphere. The only reason the WA 110/119 SD TPs have "higher" signal strength is due to the QPSK modulation versus 8PSK on HD/EA. Granted 72.7 and 77 need the larger 1000.4 in order to get comparable signal levels to the current Ciel-2 @ 129 with the 1000.2. Regardless with comparable signal strengths the only factors that would change anything would be snow collection (as you stated) and the amount of atmosphere that the dish is looking through (in this case 129 has a lot more atmosphere to look through.)

Anyone know why those four in particular.
It is because those TPs are "common" CONUS TPs that host a wide variety of satellite programming for the entire contiguous US. If you can't reliably pick up those transponders in teh contiguos US, then chances are that you will not reliably get any of the other CONUS TPs either. Also the choosing of 14, 15, 16, & 21 could also be related to finding certain issues with some setups that involve lost of odd transponders (as in odd-numbered like 15, versus even numbered, like 16.)

OP, here.
My house before the one I live in now, I had 110,119 (DISH 500) and a separate dish for 61.5 and had great signal strength.
My home now I had 110, 119, 118.7, 129 on the one dish (I believe DISH 1000). Locals being on 118.7 and seemed to be the last to go out. Now that you guys have forced me to really think, I believe my only real problem channels were the ones on 129.
It seems like that is where they were putting all the new HD channels at the time. A few HD channels like Discovery HD (still on 110 or 119) would not give me the same problems.

So I will be informed when the tech comes out. What other SAT location mirrors 129 in case I have to talk him into a dual dish setup if I feel the signal on 129 is too low?
Also unrelated by my searches tell me everything But. Does the Joey provide network connectivity to other devices or a switch plugged into its Ethernet port?
Thanks.

I would say it takes both 61.5 and 72.7 to get everything on 129 in HD. I don't think 110/119/72.7 gets you everything, in fact it won't, no locals in HD. If you are not getting 129, I strongly suggest you get the Eastern Arc sats, 61.5 and 72.7 and forget the Western Arc. If you get international programming and need 118 you can get that too.

I am in Wake Forest, just North of Raleigh city limits. I get very few rain fade events during the year, even in heavy rain. To me, rain fade has been a total non-issue.

I have had to go out and brush snow off my dish one time to get back signal in two years. We are fortunate the dish is on a post in the yard, not on my roof. There have been times when snow was on the dish but we still had a very good picture.

I am in Wake Forest, just North of Raleigh city limits. I get very few rain fade events during the year, even in heavy rain. To me, rain fade has been a total non-issue.

I have had to go out and brush snow off my dish one time to get back signal in two years. We are fortunate the dish is on a post in the yard, not on my roof. There have been times when snow was on the dish but we still had a very good picture.

I assume you have the 1000.4 EA?

Also unrelated by my searches tell me everything But. Does the Joey provide network connectivity to other devices or a switch plugged into its Ethernet port?
Thanks.
What kind of connectivity are you referring to? The Joeys can be connected by Ethernet to your home network but it's not required as they can get Internet data thru MoCA. There have been reports of (unsupported) methods of using Ethernet to provide Joeys with TV feeds ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/281769-joey-works-without-coax-cable.html .)

What kind of connectivity are you referring to? The Joeys can be connected by Ethernet to your home network but it's not required as they can get Internet data thru MoCA. There have been reports of (unsupported) methods of using Ethernet to provide Joeys with TV feeds ( http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/281769-joey-works-without-coax-cable.html .)
My question again is "Does the Joey provide network connectivity to other devices or a switch plugged into its Ethernet port?" The key words being "provide network" and "to other devices".
In other words: Joey gets its Internet via coax (moca); can I then plug a Roku or other device into the Joey's Ethernet port and get on my network\Internet?
Thanks.

dslate69 said:
My question again is "Does the Joey provide network connectivity to other devices or a switch plugged into its Ethernet port?" The key words being "provide network" and "to other devices".
In other words: Joey gets its Internet via coax (moca); can I then plug a Roku or other device into the Joey's Ethernet port and get on my network\Internet?
Thanks.

No you cannot plug another device into the Joey's ethernet port.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

No you cannot plug another device into the Joey's ethernet port.
That's disappointing.
My Directv is feeding the Internet to my bedroom this way now. I'll have to figure out a solid alternative that can handle my 1080p streaming needs.
Thanks for the info.

Well that method is unsupported by DirecTV anyway. U-verse can do this as well but I personally wouldn't want to have to rely on a receiver to get Internet connectivity.

???
Isn't that exactly what MOCA is supposed to do?
Are you saying the Internet connection on the Joeys won't be reliable?
Directv does support their MOCA devices to supply Internet to other receivers. Of course they don't support 3rd party devices plugged into the extra Ethernet jack. But it does supply a rock solid reliable connection.
Is this just feature bashing because DISH doesn't have it?

That's disappointing.
My Directv is feeding the Internet to my bedroom this way now. I'll have to figure out a solid alternative that can handle my 1080p streaming needs.
Thanks for the info.

I can't find where Dish made their receivers to be able to handle other 1080P streaming....... I'm assuming you got or are getting the Hopper on that promise?

I can't find where Dish made their receivers to be able to handle other 1080P streaming....... I'm assuming you got or are getting the Hopper on that promise?
Not sure how you interpreted my post as needing 1080p streaming from the DISH receiver although I know if DISH provides it then the MOCA connection can handle it; hopefully the Joey can as well.
My statement was in the context of using the the Joeys Ethernet jack to feed my network\internet to OTHER devices. 1080p streaming from my PLEX server to my HTPC or Google TV is my need so a simple wifi connection is not optimal.
Not to mention the setup I have now is a switch plugged into the second Ethernet jack on my HR22 provides a connection for my HTPC, Roku and PS3.
I have other options like Power-line or MOCA via the standard cable jack in that room but it would have been nice to have DISH mirror my setup without buying more stuff.
Thanks.

Hopper also has 2 ports, so you could put it where all your network distribution needs to be. But why not have one uplink to your switch then connect all your devices to the switch. Cascading switches like you're doing now seems like you are creating an unnecessary bottle neck. If you're low on ports, just get a bigger switch. My 8 port switch was only $7 shipped from eBay. And it's a better solution than cascaded switches with multiple points of failure.

Hopper also has 2 ports, so you could put it where all your network distribution needs to be. But why not have one uplink to your switch then connect all your devices to the switch. Cascading switches like you're doing now seems like you are creating an unnecessary bottle neck. If you're low on ports, just get a bigger switch. My 8 port switch was only $7 shipped from eBay. And it's a better solution than cascaded switches with multiple points of failure.
I appreciate you trying to help. But it seems I keep having to do a lot of restating my setup for the advice I am getting has nothing to do with my setup that I have already explained.
I have my router in my main room where the Hopper will go; I am good there. The Joey will go in the bedroom where I do NOT have a cat5\6 run back to the router; the Joey will get Internet from MOCA. My HTPC, Roku and PS3 still need Internet\network in my BEDROOM.
How does your advice of a $7 switch help with that?

Ok, I pulled the trigger. They will be out tomorrow to do the install.
I am looking forward to the call to Directv where they offer me the sun and moon to stay. Then of course the tone will change when I say NO and they tell me to box up the LNBs and I say you can climb up on my roof but I'm not. :)
Oh well, I guess I'll be doing some cable management tonight in preparation.
Thanks for all the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)