Eastern Arc and snow

Justsuern

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Rising Sun, IN
Got the eastern arc installed a few weeks ago. Today had a small snow shower. Snow on the dish. Lost our signal. Never had this problem with dish pointed to 110-119 and 129.
Any ideas how to avoid this problem all winter?

EA is more vulnerable to snow accumulation because of a higher elevation, at least here in the east. Someone suggested a super soaker filled with hot water. Mine is too high up for that, and will probably purchase some sort of dish heater.

This may sound crazy, but, if you can reach your dish, try spraying on a light coat of non-stick cooking spray. Then wipe off the excess. It repells moisture and tends to help the snow slide right off.

I know it works with BUDs.

This may sound crazy, but, if you can reach your dish, try spraying on a light coat of non-stick cooking spray. Then wipe off the excess. It repells moisture and tends to help the snow slide right off.

I know it works with BUDs.

I remember a patient telling me he had to spray his D dish with silicone each winter or he would have problems.
I just took the hose and fan sprayed the snow off and all is well. Guess I will need to get hubby to go up sometime and spray the silicone on it. Or look into the heater things. I don't want to be dragging out the ladder and hose every time it snows!

We've had about 10 snowstorms so far this winter totaling about 60" of snow and I've only lost the signal with this last storm that only produced about an inch of sticky wet snow and it was only from the 71 and 77 birds. By the next morning, I was pulling in all 3 satellites. Apparently enough snow melted.

So what I'm trying to say is it seems to happen only with sticky wet snow.

Funny. I had the same problem a few days ago. I never thought that snow was accumulating on the dish! I lost everything but the locals. I thought my Dish had been hit or something, next moring it was fine.

I'll try the non-stick stuff! THANKS

I guess now we will hear about how bad the 1000.4 sat dish is on the east coast till they get new stronger replacement sats up there at 72.2 & 77. It is like the western arc with 129 sat that was so crappy for so many years. I wish DISH could go ahead and make the investment in new sats right away. A lot of the county is on the east coast and snow is a frequent visitor. It seems that they would of thought of this before the big push for eastern arc.

Snow on the east coast? No Way. I tell all my customers that ask about snow to eithe ruse the Super Soaker full of water method or spray cooking spray on the pan . Kevin

I read somewhere not to use Pam. It attracts dirt and bugs. It said to use silicone. someone else recommended WD40 but another said that dried up too soon.
So I will try the silicone spray.

It seems that they would of thought of this before the big push for eastern arc.
No, I think they're doing it right. First, prove that it works. Second, prove that people need it. Third, upgrade the hardware required to make the service excellent. We're a long way from step 3, but we're/they're on the right track.
I read somewhere not to use Pam. It attracts dirt and bugs. It said to use silicone. someone else recommended WD40 but another said that dried up too soon.
So I will try the silicone spray.
If you can reach it, why not clean it really well with dish soap and then hit it with some carnauba wax? Seems to me that it would stick to just about anything nearly indefinitely. Most anything made for car paint should work, to some degree. You just need to make sure that the surface isn't too glossy, or you'll sunburn the LNB.

I think it had something to do with this specific snow shower. I have had E for for 6 years and I have only lost the signal because of snow one other time and that was 2004 when we had 20 inches of sleet and freezing rain. I even lost the E10 spotbeam locals yesterday during the snow. It was a very wet snow and went out to check my dish and I had snow collected right in the focal point of my 129 dish like somebody hit it with a snowball. I wiped it off and the signal came back. Actually my dish is more reliable than either of the cable providers here. They have been off here twice this winter for extended periods once for the ice storm the second time because of a blown transformer.

I guess now we will hear about how bad the 1000.4 . .
Then they better get thier Dish realined. I've had my 1000.4 since before Christmas and I've not had any abnormal signal losses. And I live in NorthEast PA. In fact its better then the 2 Dish setup I used to have. Nothing wrong with the Eastern Arc satellites. 61.5 is just fine. Heavy Wet Snow ,Stuck to the Dish Always messes with the signal, as well as ICE. But snow fall with a Temp lower then 28* should have no effect on your signal.

I hope that eastern arc does work. But the signal strength of the 72.2 & 77 sats gets loses strength as we move more south. In my area of Texas I could get about 45 - 50 on both sats when I had the 1000.4 sat dish. I moved back to 1000.2 sat when the new ceil sat at 129 went live. I would think that a stronger newer sat that does spotbeams would be the next logical sat to launch up at 77 so that DISH could do more spotbeams for hd locals.

Got the eastern arc installed a few weeks ago. Today had a small snow shower. Snow on the dish. Lost our signal. Never had this problem with dish pointed to 110-119 and 129.
Any ideas how to avoid this problem all winter?
If the dish is accessable, simply brush the snow away
Also you may do a preemptive spraying of a non-stick pan cpoating such as PAM or an equivalent. The oil in the product will prevent moisture from sticking to the reflector and the moisture will not freeze as quickly, if at all.

This is why it is recommonded the dish be installed in an accessable to the customer location.
Outages due to frozen precip sticking ot the dish are a big annoyance.

i LOST SIGNAL AGAIN TONIGHT, HAD TO SWITCH TO CABLE. Oops, sorry about the cap's.

Anyway, it's b/c of the sticky wet snow no doubt. As soon as I hit ti with a snowball, I got my signal back. Unfortunately my aim is not that great and took about 15 snowballs :O

i LOST SIGNAL AGAIN TONIGHT, HAD TO SWITCH TO CABLE. Oops, sorry about the cap's.

Anyway, it's b/c of the sticky wet snow no doubt. As soon as I hit ti with a snowball, I got my signal back. Unfortunately my aim is not that great and took about 15 snowballs :O
It always amazes me how someone can make a mistake or a typo, but rather than backspace and fix it, they leave it and apologize for it.:p

Heavy Wet Snow ,Stuck to the Dish Always messes with the signal, as well as ICE. But snow fall with a Temp lower then 28* should have no effect on your signal.
Must have been the wet snow that caused the signal loss yesterday. Today we had a light fluffy snow, came down fast and heavy. No problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)