Eastern Arc Dish Info & Install Guide

Scott,

How does the receiver know to switch the satellites that its suppose to be tuning to?

Generally, whatever channels the receiver sees, it will show in the guide for you to select from, doesn't matter what satellite it's coming from. If it gets a channel from more than one satellite, then it's a toss-up which one it uses. If your switching from WA to EA, then how would it even see the WA satellites?

rglore,

I didn't know if there was some sort of setup procedure to identify which satellites should be coming in, which if you think about it wouldn't be a bad idea.

The bottom line is that you buy the 1000.4 dish, install it aimed at the correct satellites, have the smart card installed and you're good to go?

By the way, how would one get the smart card??

By the way, how would one get the smart card??
You will get your smart cards when Dish gets to your name, everyone should get the cards by the end of the year. Hopefully Dish will announce some procedure for folks like you and me who need to switch to Eastern Arc sooner because of trees or other reasons.

You will get your smart cards when Dish gets to your name, everyone should get the cards by the end of the year. Hopefully Dish will announce some procedure for folks like you and me who need to switch to Eastern Arc sooner because of trees or other reasons.
if Dish mangement has more than two brain cell molecules banging together, they would research every NLOS in the EA areas and contact them to see if those peope are interested in becoming Dish customers.

I have read the thread and I just can not tell how the EA will affect a sub like me who has no HD tv's (no interest in getting one right now) I have 1 625 and 4 510's and I live in miami fl. I am supposeing I wont have to worry about getting an MPEG 4 receiver for quite some time. But if I understand correctly eventually all dish subs will HAVE to get MPEG 4 receivers. Also will I have to get a 1000.X dish or can I use my current set up of dishes with a DP34? I am a "mover" and receive 119 (1 meter) and 110 ( regular dish 300) on diffrent dishes.

I have read the thread and I just can not tell how the EA will affect a sub like me who has no HD tv's (no interest in getting one right now) I have 1 625 and 4 510's and I live in miami fl. I am supposeing I wont have to worry about getting an MPEG 4 receiver for quite some time. But if I understand correctly eventually all dish subs will HAVE to get MPEG 4 receivers. Also will I have to get a 1000.X dish or can I use my current set up of dishes with a DP34? I am a "mover" and receive 119 (1 meter) and 110 ( regular dish 300) on diffrent dishes.
We'll have to see how it plays out. Eventually all customers in the US will have access to the EA.. But for now, only new HD customers are eligible...

Does anyone know the size of the 100.4 and has anyone tested to see the effect on signal strength compared to say the 500, I was thinking about going to a larger dish for 110, 119, 61.5 to reduce rain fade, but maybe I should wait.

Eventually all customers in the US will have access to the EA..
Huh? :confused: That implies all LiL service will be mirrored on both arcs. I would have expected at most the top two or three to be mirrored, but the rest to be either on one or the other but not both.

Huh? :confused: That implies all LiL service will be mirrored on both arcs. I would have expected at most the top two or three to be mirrored, but the rest to be either on one or the other but not both.
OOPS that was a typo.....I meant all customers in the EASTERN US....Sorry.
The point is that in my best estiimation the the country will be cut in half...All subscribers east of the Miss river being EA and those west being Western...There will be exceptions to that....Such as southern Texas. That area cannot "see" the 129..

I think the bottom line question for many of us is which satellite array will provide us the least signal loss during rainy weather.
That's easy, even assuming 129 is replaced early next year. The arc with the highest elevation angles will have the least amount of atmospheric water attenuating your signal.

That's easy, even assuming 129 is replaced early next year. The arc with the highest elevation angles will have the least amount of atmospheric water attenuating your signal.

That's what I would initially think, but don't you have to factor in the signal strength?

With that said, how likely is it that Dish would launch less powerful satellites?

As soon as Scott gets the security card, we'll know.

This is what happened to me. I am a new customer, but instead of telling me about the eastern arc they tried to install two dishes at my apartment for my Turbo HD silver package. Since they only allow one dish at my apartment and I was ready to cancel because I was not getting the channels I wanted, they changed me to the eastern arc. Right now I am patiently waiting for my local installer to order the 1000.4 dish for me so they can install it.

My 61.5 dish is working so there shouldn't be a problem with the 72.7 right?

I have read the thread and I just can not tell how the EA will affect a sub like me who has no HD tv's (no interest in getting one right now) I have 1 625 and 4 510's and I live in miami fl. I am supposeing I wont have to worry about getting an MPEG 4 receiver for quite some time. But if I understand correctly eventually all dish subs will HAVE to get MPEG 4 receivers. Also will I have to get a 1000.X dish or can I use my current set up of dishes with a DP34? I am a "mover" and receive 119 (1 meter) and 110 ( regular dish 300) on different dishes.

I suspect that by the time they get to the mpeg2 turnoff the majority will have mpeg4 boxes and that they will work some type of swap for the mpeg2 only customers left.

If I up grade to Dish HD this month or next will the 722 DVR I get come with the new smart card?
Possibly. But what difference does it make? I sense a "what if" question coming..Hold on...
If a customer has a box sans smart card and Dish releases the EA to all customers in that footprint, I would imagine those customers would in fact be sent the required equipment /accessories so that their system worked properly.

dishcomm,

Think of the can of worms they've got. Mention that you might get a better signal if you go eastern arc and a few million subscribers might expect Dish to come out and install new EA dishes at Dish's expense.

I wouldn't be surprised if they send out the smart cards for security reasons and continue doing EA installs only for new subscribers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts