Eastern Arc Dish Info & Install Guide

I think you can determine if you have the new smartcard by doing the following:

Press menu on the remote.
Sytem setup (6)
Installation (1)
System Info (3)
Next
Next

If the DNASP is 241, you have the new smartcard. If it is lower than that (206), you do not.

Thanks for the info. Mine is 206. Looks like I won't have TV until they mail them to me...

I am partially in the same boat as you are. I recently had Eastern Arc installed. One of my receivers has the new smart card and the other does not. You will be able to receive the HD programming on 61.5 and (I think) one HDNet channel on the other satellite. As to getting a new smart card, they have told me that they cannot mail them out earlier than originally planned. (One CSR told me that they are sent out by computer.) One CSR told me that I might not receive it until the end of 2009. Others have said the end of 2008. In any event, they have offered me the opportunity to swap my old 622 for another one with the new smartcard. I think this means that I would loose any recordings I have on the 622.

I am partially in the same boat as you are. I recently had Eastern Arc installed. One of my receivers has the new smart card and the other does not. You will be able to receive the HD programming on 61.5 and (I think) one HDNet channel on the other satellite. As to getting a new smart card, they have told me that they cannot mail them out earlier than originally planned. (One CSR told me that they are sent out by computer.) One CSR told me that I might not receive it until the end of 2009. Others have said the end of 2008. In any event, they have offered me the opportunity to swap my old 622 for another one with the new smartcard. I think this means that I would loose any recordings I have on the 622.

It will unless you move your recordings to an external hard drive.

275' away? Normally, no more than 100'. Sometimes as much as 200'. But 275 feet away? How are they going to preserve the signal?

I think you can determine if you have the new smartcard by doing the following:

Press menu on the remote.
Sytem setup (6)
Installation (1)
System Info (3)
Next
Next

If the DNASP is 241, you have the new smartcard. If it is lower than that (206), you do not.

My DNASP is 241 DshH02 and I don't see a smart card behind the left door.

Do you have to pull/push some lever to get it to pop out?

My DNASP is 241 DshH02 and I don't see a smart card behind the left door.

Do you have to pull/push some lever to get it to pop out?

Neither of my receivers has an external smartcard. They both have the internal one that is inside the receiver and cannot be removed.

What dish(s) LNB(s) do I need

I've been getting kind-of a runaround from Dish. I’ve had a 622 receiver for over a year but just got my first HDTV when I moved to my current home a couple of months ago. The first tech said that I couldn’t even get Dish HD. Before calling DirecTV I got a second opinion since the first guy couldn’t get to the apex of my roof (short ladder). The second guy installed a dish (500+ I think) and I’ve been enjoying HD until I found that my locals aren’t coming in except in SD. I called out the Dish techs again and the guy said that I needed a second dish to get 61.5 and he again had a ladder too short.

I’m now set up for another visit on Monday but I want to be prepared to talk intelligently with the tech since I’ve been buffaloed by those guys before.

The locals that I need are for the Raleigh, NC area, and I understand that they are on both 61.5 and 118.75. I do have LOS problems, but the short-ladder guy says that he thinks I can see 61.5 higher on my steep roof. I’m now reading on this thread that there are several options for getting to the Dish sats. One is for the 100+ that apparently can pick up all the sats that I need.

From another site:
500+/1000+
Same as the Dish 1000 in function but about 5" larger and can pick up the 118.75° FSS location. As a 500+ it picks up 110°, 118.75° and 119°. Adding an LNB for 129° makes it a 1000+.
So if the tech on Monday claims that I’m SOL for the HD locals, what can I suggest that he try? I’m getting 110, 129 and 119 fine. Will a 1000+ and a new LNB get me 118.75 and the locals since they apparently are in the same LOS?

I've been getting kind-of a runaround from Dish. I’ve had a 622 receiver for over a year but just got my first HDTV when I moved to my current home a couple of months ago. The first tech said that I couldn’t even get Dish HD. Before calling DirecTV I got a second opinion since the first guy couldn’t get to the apex of my roof (short ladder). The second guy installed a dish (500+ I think) and I’ve been enjoying HD until I found that my locals aren’t coming in except in SD. I called out the Dish techs again and the guy said that I needed a second dish to get 61.5 and he again had a ladder too short.

I’m now set up for another visit on Monday but I want to be prepared to talk intelligently with the tech since I’ve been buffaloed by those guys before.

The locals that I need are for the Raleigh, NC area, and I understand that they are on both 61.5 and 118.75. I do have LOS problems, but the short-ladder guy says that he thinks I can see 61.5 higher on my steep roof. I’m now reading on this thread that there are several options for getting to the Dish sats. One is for the 100+ that apparently can pick up all the sats that I need.

From another site:
So if the tech on Monday claims that I’m SOL for the HD locals, what can I suggest that he try? I’m getting 110, 129 and 119 fine. Will a 1000+ and a new LNB get me 118.75 and the locals since they apparently are in the same LOS?

Well, yes, but where do you live? And why would he be putting 61.5 up if you have LOS for 129? The area of the country you're in will help us to determine your best options. Oh, and :welcome to SatelliteGuys.us!

where do you live?
Hillsborough, NC 27278
why would he be putting 61.5 up if you have LOS for 129?
Beats me.... I'm only reporting what I've been told. That's why I'm here, to get edicated as to what I need. I can say that I AM getting 129 fine but my locals are only in SD. I don't even see the channel numbers listed for My HD locals when I acces the channel guide.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome :)

If he did install a Dish 500, your simplest solution is a dish for the 61.5 satellite. That is where your strongest signal will be for the Raleigh locals. If he installs a dish to pickup 110,119, 118.7 and 129, it is very difficult to set dish for optimum reception on each satellite. With the Dish 500 focusing on 110/119 and another dish focusing on 61.5, your signal will be much better. How do I know this? I have a dish 500, 61.5 setup while my son has the other and believe me, you will lose your local signal on 118.7 with just a little rain.

Okay, I no longer get line-of-sight at the 119 satellite. I have LOS to the EA satellites. Dish tells me I "don't qualify", because I'm in the Atlanta market.

If I buy a 1000.4 dish and pay an installer to come to my house and install it, I still need the smart cards for my 722 and 622, right? Is this only available from Dish? if so, I guess I would be back at square one and "not qualify"? Is there any other way?

I do NOT want to have to order Comcast cable.

By the way, what do the new 3G smart cards look like?

Thanks.
Hold on..As an existing customer you are NOT eligible fro D-1000.4 services.
Now I do not know what would happen if you purchased a 1000.4 on your own.
That said, your recivers must be Eastern Arc compliant. Simply trying to get the required cards for your receivers may do the trick. Bit at this point I do not know if those are available to existing customers as of yet.
don't bother asking any Dish CSR by phone...email ceo@echostar.com and maybe you can embelish a serious line of sight problem....Who knows.

From another site:
As a standard techs carry 28 ft extension ladders. Now if your roof is very steep (more than a 10/12 pitch) it is dangerous to traverse this structure without special safety equipment. However, if you have a "cut up" roof with several valleys, it may be possible to get to the necessary location to get a line of sight.
You have not been "buffaloed".
Yes HD locals for your market are coming from both 61.5 and 118.7......The situation is this. If you have LOS to 119 then you have LOS to 118.7. The D-1000 plus looks at 110,118.7, 119 and 129....The 129 is very low in the sky....23 degrees above the horizon in your area. Kind of tough to hit.. If you have LOS problems, you may be better off with a two dish solution. This would be a D-500( the one you already have) and a dish pointed to the 61.5

So, the recordings are not keyed to the serial number of the unit?

They have improved the system. It's keyed to your account. So you can offload your recordings onto an external drive, ship off your receiver, and the new receiver will recognize the external drive's recordings, as will any other ViP series DVR on your account. You'll be able to record on one ViP DVR, and move it to the external drive, and carry that drive to another ViP DVR on your account, and watch on that TV. I'm looking forward to being able to do this after the arrival of my second ViP722 - the one replacing my 721.

I'll miss that 721. But I think I'll be adequately consoled by the new baby, it's name based recording, it's HD capability (which, of course, meant I had to buy another HDTV :p), and the swappable external storage!

If he did install a Dish 500, your simplest solution is a dish for the 61.5 satellite. That is where your strongest signal will be for the Raleigh locals. If he installs a dish to pickup 110,119, 118.7 and 129, it is very difficult to set dish for optimum reception on each satellite. With the Dish 500 focusing on 110/119 and another dish focusing on 61.5, your signal will be much better. How do I know this? I have a dish 500, 61.5 setup while my son has the other and believe me, you will lose your local signal on 118.7 with just a little rain.
Thanks,

That's the kind of info I was looking for. It looks like dish is on the right track.

As a standard techs carry 28 ft extension ladders. Now if your roof is very steep (more than a 10/12 pitch) it is dangerous to traverse this structure without special safety equipment. However, if you have a "cut up" roof with several valleys, it may be possible to get to the necessary location to get a line of sight.
You have not been "buffaloed".
Yes HD locals for your market are coming from both 61.5 and 118.7......The situation is this. If you have LOS to 119 then you have LOS to 118.7. The D-1000 plus looks at 110,118.7, 119 and 129....The 129 is very low in the sky....23 degrees above the horizon in your area. Kind of tough to hit.. If you have LOS problems, you may be better off with a two dish solution. This would be a D-500( the one you already have) and a dish pointed to the 61.5
The buffaloed comment referred to the first guy who said that I couldn't get Dish HD at all, the second guy who installed a dish to get 119, 110, and 129 but neglected to say that I wouldn't get HD locals, and the 3rd guy that showed up with a 16 foot ladder, even though I asked that they put on the work order my roof pitch problem.

I'm not sure what the pitch is, but it's too steep to walk on without assistance. It does have several valleys, but I believe the tech will need something special to get to the best LOS which appears to be at the end of one peak. I just don't want them to claim that a clear LOS is not available if what they really mean is that it will be hard to get to.

My contact with Dish this morning has me set up for Monday with 2 guys and a 44 foot ladder, so I should be in pretty good shape.

Thanks for your comments.

The 500+...

would hit the 110/118.75/119 with a side dish at 61.5 for the HD. The 61.5 is probably easier for you to hit than the 129 AND the 61.5 is much more stable than the hunk-o-junk 129.

The buffaloed comment referred to the first guy who said that I couldn't get Dish HD at all, the second guy who installed a dish to get 119, 110, and 129 but neglected to say that I wouldn't get HD locals, and the 3rd guy that showed up with a 16 foot ladder, even though I asked that they put on the work order my roof pitch problem.

I'm not sure what the pitch is, but it's too steep to walk on without assistance. It does have several valleys, but I believe the tech will need something special to get to the best LOS which appears to be at the end of one peak. I just don't want them to claim that a clear LOS is not available if what they really mean is that it will be hard to get to.

My contact with Dish this morning has me set up for Monday with 2 guys and a 44 foot ladder, so I should be in pretty good shape.

Thanks for your comments.
I will share with you and for others to see the problems with high roofs with steep pitches. Of course there are those on here who will climb mount everest to place a dish. I follow my wn guidelines of safety. Typically ,If I can get to a place on the roof wihout using special harnesses and be able to work comfortably wihtout concern of falling or my tools becming victimized by gravity, I'll do the job ,no problem. But if getting to and working at this place jeopardizes my safety in anyway,It's a no go. However I will contact my dispatch to let them know. We have in our group of techs a couple of mountain goats with more valor than brains who will go up on extremely steep roofs. These guys are much younger than I and have not yet had the priveledge of falling from a roof while working and trying to be hero. Those days are over for me.
Ok, one other issue. On jibs where the dish has been mounted in a hard to reach placing, that system has to be serviced. That means a tech with the skills to get to the dish are required. That means a potential delay in service for the customer.

I agree with your comments on safety. That's one reason that I am surprised that the dispatcher did not take my word for the need for a longer ladder, as was pointed out to me by the first technician.

I am attaching a picture of the side of the house where the 61.5 sat will be located. The current sat is mounted on the roof about mid-way up the slope. I don't think that the slope is unusually steep, but you cannot walk there. If this house is not available for a high dish I would think that many homes are not. I'm thinking it's just a matter of getting the right equipment to install. Then my Dish records should indicate that a long ladder is needed for any maintenance.

Attachments

• Satellite Side.jpg
    Satellite Side.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 157

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts