Eastern Arc /Receiver Question

tecboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Cincinnati
It appears that if i want to upgrade to HD with HD locals(Cincinnati), i will have to move to eastern arc. as i currently only have dish 500 for sd. I have a 625 and 3-301's..all leased. If Dish moves me to EA..will they replace all my receivers or will some of them work on EA? SOme of the EA info i have read on here has me confused...some say MPEG4 only receivers while new smart cards are mentioned with EA...

Currently only MPEG 4 receivers will work on EA, thus your 625 and 301s will not meet the criteria.

Last edited:
Currently only MPEG 4 receivers will work on EA, thus your 625 and 301s will meet the criteria.

Err- no. Unless you mean "meet the criteria" to be replaced.

The only MPEG-4 receivers are the ViP series, and the (increasingly rare) 411. No 625 or 301 will work with EA.

And I don't think Dish is going to move you to EA, unless your locals move there and only there. Aren't all LiLs, both SD and HD, on some other satellite, in addition to EA? Or on 61.5 of EA, so no forced move to EA is required? They could add a second dish to point it at 61.5 if that could pick up your LiLs. NEW customers will sometimes go to EA. And after some point in January, IIRC, existing customers can ask to move. But I don't see Dish accomodating such a request for free. Besides, there's no real reason to switch to EA.

my local hd's just uplinked to 77 last month...have not read anything about being mirrored on any other satellite. Before my locals were up on HD ..i was just going to do local hd over the air and add a wing dish at 61.5 for national hd content...with the trees in my backyard, there would be no way to get a line of site to 129...so for me to get national hd and local hd..i would have to see 71.5 and 77..so i think Dish would have no alternative to move me EA...i would not expect the entire switch to be free...but wouldnt want to pay for receivers that would only have to be upgraded due to me being forced to switch to EA to get the channels i want. Paying for 625 to upgrade to a HD dvr and the cost of the dish i would have no problem with...but upgrading my 301's may be the sticking point with dish

Unless you really need a dual tuner DVR, I recommend the 211 with EHD for most situations.

No DVR fees, same lease fee as 612/622/722, and can record one OTA AND one SAT channel at the same time.

Looks like only HD based receivers are the VIP series. Is this a correct observation? Is there a seperate HD content charge for each HD receiver on the account ? I would only need to have one receiver actually be HD output and the rest would be SD output.

Currently, yes, only the ViP series and the 411 (which you'll likely never see).

HD is a package option, for the account, not each TV/receiver. You can have a mix of SD & HD receivers (I have two ViP722 DVRs and one 508).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)