Eastern Arc starting and Turbo HD business rules

tws101

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Fact
New Eastern Arc news. Starting August 20 dish will start rolling out the Eastern Arc starting with areas that get HD locals off of 61.5. The 1000.4 and the 1000.5 dish will point at 77 72.7 and 61.5 for an all mpeg 4 service. Only new connects will build with this at first.

Speculation
As we know Turbo HD is only avalible for new subscribers and you must have only Mpeg 4 receivers. This rule is probably being enforced so all the existing subs dont all upgrade to MPEG 4 until the Eastern Arc is complete.

We all know charlie likes to save money and it makes sense to do an MPEG 4 upgrade and a dish migration/install all at the same time instead of upgrading and then giving away a free migration. So from a business stand point what he is doing makes sense. It may not be cool for people wanting to save some money over the next 6 months, but it may be best to wait because later this year the the HD channel count will increase by 50%.

yeah I'm trying to figure out how to do this. I'll be moving to a new house probably in September/October time frame. I would love to have a single dish pointing southeast on that new house. I would love to just take my current equipment over to the new house and hook it up. I'm in a commitment right now and it won't be ended by the time I move. When I move I'll be taking my phone number with me so .... I'm just not sure I can pull off the "new subscriber" thing.

I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to handle this.

If you wanted to buy your own dish and had the Mpeg 4 Receivers, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I don't know what the difference between a 1000.4 and a 1000.5 dish is.

What's the difference between the 1000.2 dish vs the 1000.5 and 1000.4?

Does it have to do with where in the country you're located???

The 1000.2 dish can't see the new locations?
Maybe two of them... Note that the separation between 72 and 77 is abnormally small for DBS; this requires a larger dish to resolve those two orbital locations, as well as two LNBs very close together.

I will be upgrading to HD this fall, and wonder if I should get these via Eastern Arc instead of using 129? When will 129 be replaced? Is all prgromaing on Eastern Arc going to be mpeg4? If so, would that be a good reason to take that option?

I have the HD Absolute pack and two dishes, a Dish 500 pointing at 110 nad 119 and a single Dish pointing at 61.5. Why would I want to change to the Eastern ARC. I am happy with two dishes. Is there any other advantage to Eastern Arc?

Did I just bend myself over ordering Dish today? :lol: Are the new dishes available now? I believe the CSR said I'd be getting 1000.2

? for the experts

Would it be possible to hit 72.5 and 77 with 2 separate 500 dishes?

What extra switches would be needed. Presently have a dish 1000+ and a 129, feeding into a dpp44 switch to 2-vip211 hd receivers.

Biggest problem I foresee is the 16.5* elevation :( = trees!!!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Dishdishes.JPG
    Dishdishes.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 304

Any Dish satellite slot can be received by any single Dish Network dish with a single Dish LNB mounted on it.

The only exception is 118 (international and locals), which requires a special LNB, IIRC.

Switches should work the same for any slots, i.e. a 4 slot switch should work with any 4 slots.

Currently, there are unpredictable results if you have the same channel coming from one more than slot, in other words, you can't currently make it choose the slot you want.

Dish 1000 family of dishes has various special stuff for receiving three slots that you may need to disable, if you want to use it for one or two slots only.

If you wanted to buy your own dish and had the Mpeg 4 Receivers, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I don't know what the difference between a 1000.4 and a 1000.5 dish is.

1000.4 is the normal Eastern Arc dish desihned for 80% of the installs
1000.5 is the dish for lower signal areas

As for the size 1000.4 will be close to the 1k.2 the 1000.5 will be a little bigger. As for the exact specs I dont know.

Here is the relevant equation from The Diffraction Limit of a Telescope:

resolution.gif

What you want to use is the lowest frequency transmitted by Dish satellites, and the dimension of the Dish 500, in order to find the "diffraction limit" of the dish. This is the minimum angular separation (between satellites) resolvable by the Dish 500. We leave it as an exercise for the reader to convert frequency to wavelength. ;) Also note that this angle from the dish cannot be directly compared to the difference in orbital longitude locations, because the latter are referenced to the center of the earth.

Geeze....talk about a paradox.
Not a paradox, just physics. :D

Last edited:
I live just South of Charleston SC, and have not had my install yet, can I postpone my install and get the new 1000.4 Eastern Arc installation?

I think you'd need to cancel your install, not just postpone it. If you postpone it, when you tell them to go-ahead, they'll just proceed with the original order.

I dont want to cancel my order, I have HD Absolute. They are showing a 1000.2 dish on the email, they sent me, but the elevationon the 129 satellite will be a problem from my immediate location....(also Im concerned about wobbling).

Ill take a 500 plus 300 wing combo, but would prefer a one dish solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts