Eastern Arc vs Western Arc

I'm in the Buffalo DMA and have LOS issues with the 110 and 119 (trees). I have great LOS toward the Eastern Arc. I dont care about getting the SD locals (which are on 119). Will E* allow an Eastern Arc installation in a Western Arc market when there are LOS issues?

So here is my question...I live in East Texas as well and I do not get a very good signal on EA. It is my only options as I have no LOS on WA. How likely is it that the signal will improve. Could I get better reception using seperate dishes? And is it true about the upgraded equipment on EA?

So here is my question...I live in East Texas as well and I do not get a very good signal on EA. It is my only options as I have no LOS on WA. How likely is it that the signal will improve. Could I get better reception using seperate dishes? And is it true about the upgraded equipment on EA?

Signal should be much better on 72.7 , the weakest in my matrix of sats. You have to have all mpeg 4 receivers in eastern arc . So any vip or k -model receivers will be the only ones that will work.

Mix

I now have mix. 72.7 on dish 500 w/ only single LNB and single LNB adapter (got it from dish store) making it like a dish 300 but slightly larger (signal level in the 50's), 77 on an .8 meter dish, and 129 on a .9 meter dish. Just "moved" to Little Rock and one can not have 110 in the mix or it goes to spotbeam for SD locals but HD's are 77 w/SD's conus there if you dump the 110 dish and put in the 72.7. SS levels great and hope the SD's do look better since it's the only way for me to get CW that is half way decent.

So I just bought a lake house 80 miles due south on the Kansas Missouri border. It is pointing western arch and my home is EA . I pack up my receiver and super Joey each time I go to the lake and return. But it is a pain to tune each time . Line of sight should not be a problem. What are your suggestions? Do I have one moved and if so which.

I know darn well there are more recent EA/WA threads than from 2009!

In an attempt to avoid creating a new thread for the same topic I am going to try posting here. I just had Dish installed and I live in the St. Louis Missouri Metro area. The installer setup my system on the Eastern Arc even though there is line of site for either East or West Arcs. He said they are told to do all new installs on the Eastern Arc. I have read that the East satellites are older and less powerful and therefore more susceptible to rainfade. I have only had a little over a week with the system and no issues yet, but only a couple of light rain showers so far. Should I be concerned?

Reactions: charlesrshell
In an attempt to avoid creating a new thread for the same topic I am going to try posting here. I just had Dish installed and I live in the St. Louis Missouri Metro area. The installer setup my system on the Eastern Arc even though there is line of site for either East or West Arcs. He said they are told to do all new installs on the Eastern Arc. I have read that the East satellites are older and less powerful and therefore more susceptible to rainfade. I have only had a little over a week with the system and no issues yet, but only a couple of light rain showers so far. Should I be concerned?
The Market dictates which arc you're on. Most markets only have locals on one Satellite. For Champaign, it's Western only. For Quad Cities, Eastern. I think St. Louis are on both, however, as the tech explained, the work orders dictate which arc to use at Install and have to be followed.

Other than that, signal reliability is no worse and in my experience, better on Eastern Arc

The Market dictates which arc you're on. Most markets only have locals on one Satellite. For Champaign, it's Western only. For Quad Cities, Eastern. I think St. Louis are on both, however, as the tech explained, the work orders dictate which arc to use at Install and have to be followed.

Other than that, signal reliability is no worse and in my experience, better on Eastern Arc
St Louis has both arcs. I am using a DISH 1000+ dish from the St Louis DMA.

Reactions: BLC1962

Thanks for the response HipKat. I know from the Wally and Pathway X2 dish I use on my rv that my locals are on both as you stated. I only questioned it because of what I had read about the Eastern Arc signals being weaker. Like I said, no problems yet so I will hope for the best.

Update: first time I have seen loss of signal. Have some rain showers this morning. To me and based on my memory from Directv, which I have not had since the early 2000’s, my Dish signal dropped out very quickly. Again, just an observation. At least I have my OTA for locals.