Eastern Ark and western ark

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kd0ess

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
Monroe la
All this talk about eastern arc and western Ark makes me wonder, is there a way that I could get both? Or would there be any benefit in receiving both arcs? Or is that even possible given where I am? See I’m not even sure how the satellites tune in to what channel you want, does the dish physically rotate, or does the LMB physically rotate to the degrees that it needs to pull in the certain channel? As mentioned before, I am blind, and I definitely don’t hear anything when I switch channels from the dish, but given how dishes are now, they’re probably really quiet anyway. :)

All this talk about eastern arc and western Ark makes me wonder, is there a way that I could get both? Or would there be any benefit in receiving both arcs? Or is that even possible given where I am? See I’m not even sure how the satellites tune in to what channel you want, does the dish physically rotate, or does the LMB physically rotate to the degrees that it needs to pull in the certain channel? As mentioned before, I am blind, and I definitely don’t hear anything when I switch channels from the dish, but given how dishes are now, they’re probably really quiet anyway. :)
WHich arc you're on is determined by which Satellite your HD locals are on., In your case, it's the Eastern Arc - 61.5 Sat. The only benefit for you of going western and eastern is that you'd pick up more standard def channels that I believe already have High Def versions on the eastern Sats and no, the Dish doesn't turn. The Dish is pointed to pull in signal evenly, or as evenly as can be form the Satellites on that arc, simultaneously

WHich arc you're on is determined by which Satellite your HD locals are on., In your case, it's the Eastern Arc - 61.5 Sat. The only benefit for you of going western and eastern is that you'd pick up more standard def channels that I believe already have High Def versions on the eastern Sats and no, the Dish doesn't turn. The Dish is pointed to pull in signal evenly, or as evenly as can be form the Satellites on that arc, simultaneously
so I wonder if there’s a way that I could get the HD locals properly. Is it a line of sight thing? Is there a way that I could tell if I’m watching HD programming or ST programming without visually seeing it?

so I wonder if there’s a way that I could get the HD locals properly. Is it a line of sight thing? Is there a way that I could tell if I’m watching HD programming or ST programming without visually seeing it?
HD Locals are dependant on your region. You're on the East Coast and almost all East Coast locals are on the eastern arc. In most cases, there are no SD locals if you're on Eastern arc.

HD Locals are dependant on your region. You're on the East Coast and almost all East Coast locals are on the eastern arc. In most cases, there are no SD locals if you're on Eastern arc.
Louisiana is on the East Coast? I supposed to compared to things like California and stuff, I guess it would be. So is there a way that I could get the eastern arc of channels? Which direction with the dish have to be pointing to be able to get that? Anybody know?

Louisiana is on the East Coast? I supposed to compared to things like California and stuff, I guess it would be. So is there a way that I could get the eastern arc of channels? Which direction with the dish have to be pointing to be able to get that? Anybody know?
Sorry, didn't mean East Coast. I meant Eastern half and if you need your dish pointed, don't you have a tech coming? It's not as easy as just pointing in a general direction

Sorry, didn't mean East Coast. I meant Eastern half and if you need your dish pointed, don't you have a tech coming? It's not as easy as just pointing in a general direction
Of course I do, not to mention that the dish needs to go back up wherever it was anyway. I was just wondering in which direction he would need to go to be able to get the prime time anytime recordings to you know actually record. :)

He us going to aim south, maybe due south, to get you the 61.5 and 72.7 satellites. That will get you your PTAT enabled provided it is turned on in your Hopper.

He doesn't care about HD! Do his locals exist on western arc in SD? That might make him happy especially if he also wants 118.

He doesn't care about HD! Do his locals exist on western arc in SD? That might make him happy especially if he also wants 118.
But he does care about PTAT and he will only get that working from his HD channels.
It all depends on which is more important. If having a single dish is most important, then he will have to choose between international channels and PTAT, since he can't get both from one dish. If he wants to have both of those things, then he will have both dishes. Only the 118 LNB from the international dish would be connected to the Eastern Arc dish. However, the advantage of the international dish is that it is capable of receiving the entire Western Arc. This would make it relatively easy to switch to the full Western Arc if he ever chooses to do so.

Reactions: TheKrell
It all depends on which is more important. If having a single dish is most important, then he will have to choose between international channels and PTAT, since he can't get both from one dish. If he wants to have both of those things, then he will have both dishes. Only the 118 LNB from the international dish would be connected to the Eastern Arc dish. However, the advantage of the international dish is that it is capable of receiving the entire Western Arc. This would make it relatively easy to switch to the full Western Arc if he ever chooses to do so.
Judging by his past posts over several threads I believe he was on the full western arc to begin with until the dish was taken down for roof work. That is why he never had PTAT working. As you say, it's his choice whether PTAT or Cricket is that important to him.

Reactions: HipKat
Judging by his past posts over several threads I believe he was on the full western arc to begin with until the dish was taken down for roof work. That is why he never had PTAT working. As you say, it's his choice whether PTAT or Cricket is that important to him.
I have had an international dish for so long that I only consider it to be the "full" Western Arc if it includes all four satellites. ;) In his case, either PTAT or Cricket would require some kind of dish change and/or upgrade. Hopefully he gets both. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am in Columbia SC with 61.5, 72.7 and 77. At one time years ago, there was an additional set of channels that were only available on 119. I still had a 119 dish which was up because when I first started as Dish customer, all channels came on 119. It is connected with the other 3 orbital positions which just provides redundancy now. There may be some benefit to having it during bad weather, I don’t really know.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: pattykay
I am in Columbia SC with 61.5, 72.7 and 77. At one time years ago, there was an additional set of channels that were only available on 119. I still had a 119 dish which was up because when I first started as Dish customer, all channels came on 119. It is connected with the other 3 orbital positions which just provides redundancy now. There may be some benefit to having it during bad weather, I don’t really know.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

At one time I had dishes pointed a 61.5,110,119 and 148. I think I had a SWM 16 switch to tie them all together. This was when I had East and West coast locals as well as my own, The good old days!

I even had a dish pointed at a Nimiq satellite, which had a lot of channels in the clear on a 3000 DishNetwork receiver!

There may be some benefit to having it during bad weather, I don’t really know.

I've wondered about that, too. If you had both 129 and 61.5 signals, is the receiver 'smart' enough to switch to the other during weather related outage?

There may be some benefit to having it during bad weather, I don’t really know.
I think that would depend on how broad the storm front is and which direction it comes from. Having all three EA sats has been beneficial for me at times when a relatively narrow storm front passed by. When the storm took out the 61.5 HD signal, my H2 switched to the 77 SD signal, and then back to 61.5 as the storm moved on and took out 77.

I've wondered about that, too. If you had both 129 and 61.5 signals, is the receiver 'smart' enough to switch to the other during weather related outage?

That is a darn good question; I don't know what it does these days. But I have seen my H3 switch from HD to the corresponding SD channel. Perhaps the SD channel is on a stronger transponder...

That is a darn good question; I don't know what it does these days. But I have seen my H3 switch from HD to the corresponding SD channel. Perhaps the SD channel is on a stronger transponder...
SD requires less bandwidth, so it will continue to work at lower signal levels. So, all else being equal, the SD channel will keep coming in longer, with the same amount of signal loss on both the HD transponder and SD transponder.

Reactions: TheKrell
I think that would depend on how broad the storm front is and which direction it comes from. Having all three EA sats has been beneficial for me at times when a relatively narrow storm front passed by. When the storm took out the 61.5 HD signal, my H2 switched to the 77 SD signal, and then back to 61.5 as the storm moved on and took out 77.
These days, you might not even have to wait for it to take out the SD signal before it will automatically switch back to the HD signal. The Hopper software will continue checking the signal on the HD channel after the signal loss causes it to switch to the SD channel. As soon as the HD signal returns, it should switch back on its own, even if the SD channel still has signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts