eBay 501, DISH sent N3 card, but no boot

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Amiga

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
I bought a 501 receiver with a yellow card off of eBay. The puppy booted, but of course it couldn't be activated without a new N3 purple card. After receiving a new card from DISH, I placed it in the receiver, but all I got was a blank / black screen. Turning the box on without the card inserted, gives me "Please insert your smart card" and the System Info - One screen. A couple of times I got the message, "Please wait while disk spins up" after inserting the card when the unit was off, but the display eventually goes blank.

I am avoiding calling DISH until I get advice from the forum. I know if I want to take advantage of DHPP, this is the month to do it. FYI, I only subscribe to the the Welcome Pack with locals. If they swap this receiver out, what can I expect to get as a replacement? In addition, since I own this box, do I need to worry about them sending me something out that I won't ultimately own?

yep,the old firmware does not recognize the new card. stream it with the old card and receiver off and it should update to p408.
if they do replace it, more then likely you will get a refurbished 508 or 510

yep,the old firmware does not recognize the new card. stream it with the old card and receiver off and it should update to p408.

Nice, I already sent the old yellow card back. The receivers absolutely won't receive software updates without a smart card?

Last edited:
they dont want the yellow cards returned, if you still have the paperwork it says discard yellow cards.....

dont get a 510 it has the dvr fee

try streaming it with the purple card it can't hurt.
go to the system info screen and report back what firmware the receiver currently is at.

Now you got to contact them back, add DHPP to the account, tell them your situation, and they will send you a refurb 501 in it's place (or more likely a receiver with more storage since they do not make 501's anymore) such as the 510.

Swapping 501 out

My heart be still, I got two CSRs from North America! I added DHPP with a billing CSR. I would have done it online, but I got nervous the crappy billing system would add $5 more because it was under the site's programming additions. The technical support guy made me go through the motions for over 50 minutes, but he was extremely pleasant. He seemed to think that the box would update its software through the new smart card. It didn't, so it was stuck at P360.

On another note, the N3 purple card swap out included instructions and a label to return the unit's original yellow card, which I did. I thought hooking up the receiver with the old card didn't matter, live and learn. So if receivers require their old smart cards to receive updates, will they receive a software update even if the box is not active on an account?

It is easier to talk to them online than on the phone and quicker too.

The receiver will receive a software update even if it is not activated on an account. You need to update software by turning receiver off and making sure it is connected up to the satellite dish and plugged in to receive software update then you will start to see it download on the tv screen on its own. This goes for ALL Dish Network receivers.

The receiver will receive a software update even if it is not activated on an account.

Okay, not trying to be anal, but wanting to learn. Will the receivers update their software without a smart card? I realize some units have the current encryption built-in, but my 501 came with a yellow card, which was mailed back to DISH prior to the receiver being hooked up to my dish and LNB.

If the receiver did not originally have a smart card built (if it originally came with a card) then it will need the smart card to get the software update. The 311, 322, 211, 411, 222, 522, 625, 622, 722 came with smart card built in.

I think it will....try it
power off the receiver and wait 5 minutes. If there is a software update needing to be done, it grabs it within a minute or so and the green light goes on

Otherwise put in the new card and then try it

Also I seem to remember 5xx ird's having trouble updating firmware if existing is below p369.
you may have to corrupt the firmware to force it to update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)