EBAY: Sellers Will No Longer Be Allowed To Leave Feedback, Fees Go UP As Much as 60%

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the same thing.... When I see an "open box" item at Best Buy, for example, it's usually still in the original box. It's just been opened, batteries already installed, fingerprint smudges on the item, and so on. "open box" by no means means "no box".

BB is a bad example. All too often Open Box there means that the manual, associated software and accessories have been tossed. They are generally accurate though about marking the "parts missing" checkbox.

I've used eBay since '99. I still use it today with no issues. Feedback is left by me after receiving the item in as-described condition. My feedback rating is pretty useless except to show sellers how quickly I pay without issue, so honestly I can care less if a seller leaves feedback or not. Know thy seller and you likely will not have problems. Always read the description very carefully and make sure you know what you will (and won't) be getting. Personally, I won't even bid on an item without pictures of the exact item for sale.

Removing a seller's voice like this is a big mistake, as I'm sure eBay will soon be witness to. If sellers can't leave feedback, eBay had better start allowing a seller to control who can bid on their auction based on positive feedback or the like.

Here is a thread in which is around 1,000 posts and counting since it started a few days ago. These sellers are very very upset, and so am I. I am not going to sell on ebay any longer when they make it to where I cannot leave feedback. I am not going to be blackmailed with demands to keep myself at 100%. I have had to go out of my way in some cases to keep my 100% feedback. Everyone got what my auction stated that they bid on. Some people complain about the price AFTER they bid and want to negotiate price after they bid. They want to give negative feedback if they do not get it for the price they want. They made a mistake and want a refund on item and it costs you out of your pocket for shipping. I can see a LOT of scammers taking advantage of this new system. It is working the best the way it is now and I do not think there is a better way of doing it unless they do away with feedback altogether and only go to a star system. That will eliminate some of the blackmail scamming but some will still threaten to give you 1 star but you can't please everyone.

All buyers will have 100% feedback. The feedback system is broken. Other sellers cannot warn other sellers about a scammer wanting unfair demands with negative feedback. Sometimes you can only go so far to improve the system and this is DEFINITELY not the way to go. I do not feel comfortable listing an item without any recourse. Buyers can find all sorts of different picky obsurd reasons to leave you negative feedback. They could ask for partial refunds for numerous reasons and tell you what the shipping and handling is SUPPOSED to be not leaving room for your packaging costs, listing fees (going up as much as 60%), etc.

The link below shows around 1,000 posts on the ebay forums.

eBay Forums: _________NEW FEEDBACK PROGRAM___________ ...

geez i have had idiot buyers who pay slow, excessively demanding etc. so i cant leave them negative feedback? no use in selling anymore.

apparently e bay wants everyone to have wonderful feedback, i guess bad feedback must be scaring off buyers in general

Perhaps the sellers ought to form some kind of seller's club website and they can create a feedback system there that only sellers have access. Charge $1 for access to keep out the vermin whilst still reasonable to someone who sells more often than just infrequently. Say you get a bad buyer, so you go to the off-Ebay website and put up an entry about the seller there. Other sellers can log in and check the database there to see if there's any comments about their high-bidder.

I quit using ebay a while ago because most people require you to use paypal and I am tired of losing even more money on the deal.
Oh Mr. ramy again:
PayPal is fine for high priced items. PayPal is NOT OK for low priced items. Mr. rami you have a computer. You ask a seller very politely if it is OK to pay with a check or a money order. It is that simple. If you lost money blame yourself because NOBODY forced you to pay with PayPal. You knew ahead of time by reading the item description and the terms. Again Mr. ramy it is that simple:
R E A D.

geez i have had idiot buyers who pay slow, excessively demanding etc. so i cant leave them negative feedback? no use in selling anymore.

apparently e bay wants everyone to have wonderful feedback, i guess bad feedback must be scaring off buyers in general
Mr. Haller:
I have read the two pages of this subject and the opinions posted. Mr. Haller for starters with ALL due respect you are one of those Ebay sellers that I hate deal with. BTW I have been an Ebay member for almost eight years with a 99% FBR. I have sold a little and I have bought a lot. The one per cent which is negative is due to retaliatory negative feedback NOT because I failed to pay or NOT paying on time. As a seller I have 100% FBR. Needless to mention I know the Ebay system or good enough anyway.

Your first mistake is calling customers idiots. As a seller you have access to your buyers or prospective buyers. Until recently you had the right to leave FB. WHY did the sellers lose that right?
1. First blame Ebay who cared about nobody but the sellers. Ebay spoiled and babied the sellers.
2. Plenty of times I got BS emails from Ebay reps defending sellers while at the same insulting your intelligence. Meaning I never got a satisfactory response. I wasted my time.
3. As a result of #1 and # 2 the customer care service suffered. IMHO it is/was NON existent.
4. A few times on national TV it was stated that Ebay's customer service is/was "shoddy at best".
All of a sudden the economy is forcing Ebay to take drastic measures and decided to look after the customers. WHY NOT? Customers pay the bills and sellers salaries which is what I preached to Ebay sellers who laughed at me. Are they laughing now?
Thank you

Mr. Haller:
I have read the two pages of this subject and the opinions posted. Mr. Haller for starters with ALL due respect you are one of those Ebay sellers that I hate deal with. BTW I have been an Ebay member for almost eight years with a 99% FBR. I have sold a little and I have bought a lot. The one per cent which is negative is due to retaliatory negative feedback NOT because I failed to pay or NOT paying on time. As a seller I have 100% FBR. Needless to mention I know the Ebay system or good enough anyway.

Your first mistake is calling customers idiots. As a seller you have access to your buyers or prospective buyers. Until recently you had the right to leave FB. WHY did the sellers lose that right?
1. First blame Ebay who cared about nobody but the sellers. Ebay spoiled and babied the sellers.
2. Plenty of times I got BS emails from Ebay reps defending sellers while at the same insulting your intelligence. Meaning I never got a satisfactory response. I wasted my time.
3. As a result of #1 and # 2 the customer care service suffered. IMHO it is/was NON existent.
4. A few times on national TV it was stated that Ebay's customer service is/was "shoddy at best".
All of a sudden the economy is forcing Ebay to take drastic measures and decided to look after the customers. WHY NOT? Customers pay the bills and sellers salaries which is what I preached to Ebay sellers who laughed at me. Are they laughing now?
Thank you

with all due respect.

I have had idiot buyers........

I take ONLY pay pall because I get paid fast.

people screw around with checks and money orders. had a payment bounce twice, that gotr me charges from my bank..... twice e bay didnt care:mad:

I have had buyers pay very slow or not at all, one I offered to cancel the sale, he never paid. jerk refused and I didnt even get my seller fees refunded.

I run a regular full time business and know how to treat customers, unfortunately some arent worth having....

had a couple sellers stiff me after I paid with money orders, for low value stuff its not worth the hassle to proscuete them

perhaps negatives from sellers shouldnt count towards the percentage?

I always leave feedback for the buyer within hours of auction close/payment. Is it risky? Yes, but I feel it's the right thing to do, even if it comes back and bites me. Still 100%...lucky? Definitely!

I hate sellers that hold FB hostage, and as a rule, I as a buyer will not leave them FB at all. They probably don't care, as long as they don't get neg'd. I've bought from a couple of terrible sellers, and wanted to be honest with a neg FB to warn others, but instead left no FB at all to avoid retalliation.

with all due respect.

I have had idiot buyers........

I take ONLY pay pall because I get paid fast.

people screw around with checks and money orders. had a payment bounce twice, that gotr me charges from my bank..... twice e bay didnt care:mad:

I have had buyers pay very slow or not at all, one I offered to cancel the sale, he never paid. jerk refused and I didnt even get my seller fees refunded.

I run a regular full time business and know how to treat customers, unfortunately some arent worth having....

had a couple sellers stiff me after I paid with money orders, for low value stuff its not worth the hassle to proscuete them

perhaps negatives from sellers shouldnt count towards the percentage?
Mr. Haller:
Again blame Ebay. They took a pro sellers stance and the same FB system they implemented backfired on them. They turned around 180º and went the customer route. You can't sell if you don't have any customers.
Ebay is just another community. Every community has good ones and bad ones. Unfortunately you got stung. There isn't a perfect system. Ebay should have thought of that a long time ago. By the same token I am glad the sellers wings have been clipped...

After more deliberation, since 99%+ of the transactions use Paypal, which is owned by Ebay, here is a compromise for sellers who exclusively use Paypal:

Allow the seller to leave one FB within XX days if the buyer does not pay or pays a lower amount. Permission to leave such FB must be easily verifiable and automated by Ebay/Paypal for the seller. Ebay could also consider not allowing the buyer to respond to this type of FB.

Of course the down side would be that sellers would almost be forced to use Paypal but at least it would give sellers a means to identify dead beats and the vast majority of sellers already use Paypal.

At least this would be a compromise from what they had and have now and would not inhibit buyers from leaving negative feedback they feel is deserved providing they paid. Previously, the buyer was held hostage twice with the seller being able to leave retaliatory FB and already having the buyer's money.

I disagree. The buyer should be ranked on more than just their ability to follow through on paying. The buyer can end up being a picky/pest, one who tries to swindle more out of the deal, one that expects customer service for a used, one that complains constantly about the cost/etc of item eventhough things were clearly laid out, one that complains because the shipping that they chose to pay for took way too long (albeit less time than the max time quoted!), etc.

Feedback should be left after each party mutually agrees that the transaction has ended, or at the point that one party sees no possibility of the transaction ending well (suppose)

How could you even say this? The only thing the buyer should be rated on is how quick they pay.

Is your credit score affected by how big of a pain you are to the credit card company? Nope it's affected by how you pay.

Mr. Haller:
Again blame Ebay. They took a pro sellers stance and the same FB system they implemented backfired on them. They turned around 180º and went the customer route. You can't sell if you don't have any customers.
Ebay is just another community. Every community has good ones and bad ones. Unfortunately you got stung. There isn't a perfect system. Ebay should have thought of that a long time ago. By the same token I am glad the sellers wings have been clipped...

It's always a double-edged blade though. They've now lost me as a customer; I'm not going to buy from eBay until they change this biased policy.

Agreed that this change will make me think twice about selling. Or buying for that matter. The net effect should be that seller ratings drop, but consistently with a small amount of negative feedback as part of doing business. The power seller won't be hurt much because he has a large number of positive feedbacks to act as a buffer. The small seller is going to be hurt badly. If I only sell two items a year and someone gives me negative feedback for no good reason, my feedback score is suddenly 50%.

Ebay needs to adopt a more statistical approach to feedback. What possible use is feedback like 'A++++++++++++++++ Super buyer'?

Instead, let the feedback form have specific items like:

Buyer:
How long did it take to receive item?
Was item as described? (YES) (Broken) (Missing Parts) (Wrong item)
Did Seller work to resolve issue?

Seller:
How long to receive payment?
Did buyer attempt to re-negotiate?
Was package delivered successfully?

These could then be part of a statistical report that would have meaning to successful buyers and sellers. Still potential for abuse, but maybe easier to manage.

lets see bad e bay experiences...........

ripped off for way too expensdive shipping... I always ask before bidding, if you ask me all shipping should be speced in advance. I have no problem with sellers who sell nice products cheap by inflating shipping. buy at competive price is most important to me.

my one negative is from a bad seller who is still screwing around today. I wear that feedback with pride, he doesnt answer e mail, got bounce notices on his e mail, has no answering machine on his e bay phone number, ships over a month late, paypal just refunds money such a sloppy seller should be warned to clean up act or get shut down

buyers who screw around about paying, endless delays, no response to my e mail, and general PIA.

paid for a couple things i never received

I tend to describe well, pack great and have avoided much grief

however as a buyer I have had sellers ship stuff with no packing in too small boxes, where stuff gets smashed.

in most cases since i have got such great deals i just acccept the losses.

The seller is Ebay's customer, not the buyer. It is the seller that pays the fees that Ebay profits from. Ebay's attempts to protect buyers from negative feedback is their attempt to create more transactions by eliminating what is essentially a buyer's credit score and making all buyers equal in that regard. By equalizing buyers this way, sellers won't have any choice but to accept a bid since a buyer won't have any feedback as to his past purchasing activity. This also means no extension of credit to buyers. No money, no product, period.

Everyone by now knows when a feedback is a vengeance thing. Legitimate negatives usually contain exact issues such as product damaged, etc., whereas a flake buyer will just slander and name-call the seller. I've bought from sellers whose negatives consisted of the occasional whiny-brat buyer as opposed to multiple instances of bad merchant behavior.

Flake buyers will affect all sellers and so this move will pretty much be a level one. I know its nice to have that 100% feedback, but in the real world, most businesses don't. Unhappy customers are going to happen, even when the customer is wrong. It's still possible to stay in the high 90s as long as you're doing right by your customers.

Oh Mr. ramy again:
PayPal is fine for high priced items. PayPal is NOT OK for low priced items. Mr. rami you have a computer. You ask a seller very politely if it is OK to pay with a check or a money order. It is that simple. If you lost money blame yourself because NOBODY forced you to pay with PayPal. You knew ahead of time by reading the item description and the terms. Again Mr. ramy it is that simple:
R E A D.

Look, you don't need to keep pointing out stuff that most people already know. The reasons that you stated are what I said were the reasons why I QUIT using ebay and paypal to sell stuff. Also I am getting tired of you berating the people on these forums all the time with almost every post you put on here and I am not going to take it much longer. Also you spelled my name wrong.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.