Ebay

Whos service is being stolen? If I am very smart and figure out a way to view a scrambled up signal, any scrambled signal, including one scrambled by multi-path, whos trash bin would I be messing with?

you remind me of the hackers who say "well Dish is beaming the signal over my trailer without my permission, so I can take it" and think that's the way to get around the fact that they are stealing

I would expect a more helpful answer from you. I really want to understand this. Please explain what is being slolen and I'll get behind the effort to stop it.

I would expect a more helpful answer from you. I really want to understand this. Please explain what is being slolen and I'll get behind the effort to stop it.

Dish Network programming (and Bell ExpressVu too). As noted in previous posts, some access cards are easier to "fix" than others to get all the programming for free (aka stealing). That's why the OP is getting questions on it.

I

How are u suppose to confirm with dish to see is there any debts or dues on the smart card/recevier? Do we call in and ask!! I kind of doubt customer service will answer the question.

How are u suppose to confirm with dish to see is there any debts or dues on the smart card/recevier? Do we call in and ask!! I kind of doubt customer service will answer the question.

get the R&S #'s and call Dish. They will confirm a balance if any

I bought the card......I did not even ask him what version of the card....I simply asked the seller if the card was yellow or orange and bought it in good faith for $20. Someone shipped me 301 for 311 a few days ago, and I was short of a card.

I bought the card......I did not even ask him what version of the card....I simply asked the seller if the card was yellow or orange and bought it in good faith for $20. Someone shipped me 301 for 311 a few days ago, and I was short of a card.

that wont work.. the card and the receiver have to be married.. so the ROO and SOO have to match.. that is why only dish sends them out.

And people wonder why we're on our way to hell in a hand basket!! Nobody gives a rats ass anymore about anything. Me Me Me, is all it's about anymore. Pretty damned pathetic, if you ask me!! No one thinks doing the right thing means anything these days?? disgusting.

So You Know

that wont work.. the card and the receiver have to be married.
Yeh rite.....They will tell you that, but as long as the card and receiver has been disabled without a balance owed, the card can be transferred. They will be errors, and it is technically involved to get the software updated, but cards and receivers can be divorced and re-married.

PaBeader, Maybe I can explain how it is theft of services:

You could theoretically go to the nearest river and haul buckets of water to your house for "free". You would of course incur the cost of purifying it and preparing it for drinking but it would be "free". No one has a problem with that.

However, if you tapped into the water line running through your front yard, didn't put a meter on it and didn't pay the water company/department for service that would be considered stealing. It's the same product (water) but with the engineering and enhancements behind it, they charge a fee, and therefore it is wrong to take it without paying. It also doesn't matter that the water line runs through your yard "without permission" because the government has right of way from the road to do as they please, and they "please" to provide water service.

E* (or whoever) has gone to great expense leasing and launching satellites, paying a per subscriber/per channel fee for content and made the investment in developing the hardware needed to receive that content. They did this, not as a gesture of good-will but as a way to make money.

Sure, others may do it for free, and that is available to you if you want to invest in the FTA hardware required (much like purifying your own water). Using E*'s hardware to take what they have invested in and have enhanced (Through services like the Guide, DVR etc) is stealing because they made an investment they intended to be reimbursed by the consumer.

E* has permission to broadcast a signal over your trailer (from Iceberg, i think) because they got a license from the FCC to do so.

Truth does not have to be believed to remain true.

Where I am, 80% of lawyers, police, and priests pirate "hack" Dish Network signal. I told the local newspaper to stop running an ad from a pirate advertising a "better than subscription service" with more channels. The lawyer for the paper told me the paper will continue to run the ad.

kg40zx
to correct your analogy:

Not only is the water going through my yard, but there is already a connection to my house. This connection has been there all along. I didn't put it there. The other end of the connection goes into the lake. So it is otherwise being used by nobody.
The only problem is the water is not usable by me because it's got the molecules all messed up and some of them are H2O and some are H2O2 and yet others are HO. If I can figure out a way to make them all H2O then there is no reason why I can't make use of them. Especilly since they would just be going into the lake anyway.

Last edited:
Another way to think of this is...

I can make a small electric car run on the power from a local AM radio stations broadcast signal.
I am converting the signal to something else and using it for my own purposes. Am I stealing anything?

kg40zx
to correct your analogy:

Not only is the water going through my yard, but there is already a connection to my house. This connection has been there all along. I didn't put it there. The other end of the connection goes into the lake. So it is otherwise being used by nobody.
The only problem is the water is not usable by me because it's got the molecules all messed up and some of them are H2O and some are H2O2 and yet others are HO. If I can figure out a way to make them all H2O then there is no reason why I can't make use of them. Especilly since they would just be going into the lake anyway.

Your analogy is flawed. In this instance the "water company" made those molecules screwed up just so you would have to go to the extra hassle of fixing it, making it inconvenient to the point that you would pay for their service if you wanted it.

What it really comes down to is this... if someone charges for a service or a good, and you take it without paying: That is stealing. You don't have to agree with it, you don't have to like it. If I figured out some proprietary way of making exceptionally clean air to breathe and charge for it, I had better not find you purifying your own air and giving it to your friends using my technology and not paying for it.

Another way to think of this is...

I can make a small electric car run on the power from a local AM radio stations broadcast signal.
I am converting the signal to something else and using it for my own purposes. Am I stealing anything?

Again, your analogy is flawed. That would be like taking E* service and turning it into powering a light bulb in your house. As far as I know, E*'s TOS doesn't prevent you from using the energy for other purposes. They aren't selling energy any more than AM broadcasters. What you describe is a symbiotic relationship, whereas breaking encryption designed to prevent one from using the service in a particular way is clearly an indication that it is stealing.

If AM broadcasters didn't want you using their power in that way (for whatever reason) and they employed technology to prevent it, you would be wrong to circumvent that technology whether you agree or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)