Echo between 2 TV's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

LindaB

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Sapphire, NC
Hi everyone, new here. We recently got Dish hooked up at our house, previously had DirectTV. So we have a Sony TV 65" in Living room where the Hopper 3 is connected, then we have a small Samsung TV in our kitchen hooked up through the Componet Cables to the Dish Hopper 3. This is how we had Direct connected and we never had an echo problem before, but only had a Direct DVR H24.

Now since hooked up with Dish we are getting an Echo between the 2 tv's. Our Samsung TV in kitchen only has 5 componet hookups, but the new Dish Hopper has 6 and our satellite guy just left one of them unplugged, not sure which as I did not see. But we are getting this terrible echo between the 2 tv's when they are both on and never had this problem before.

Any help would be appreciated in getting this issue resolved as we keep having to mute the living room TV when we are out in kitchen to stop the echo.

Thank You

We get that all the time. My wife may be in the bedroom with the volume turned up and due to the delay of the signal from H3>JK4 you hear one then the other and it almost sounds like an echo. You could either turn one up and the other on mute or wear headphones.

We get that all the time. My wife may be in the bedroom with the volume turned up and due to the delay of the signal from H3>JK4 you hear one then the other and it almost sounds like an echo. You could either turn one up and the other on mute or wear headphones.
Thanks, but that is a pain to do that. We never had that problem before with the DirectTV receiver, but it was only a DVR H24, not the Hopper 3

Thanks, but that is a pain to do that. We never had that problem before with the DirectTV receiver, but it was only a DVR H24, not the Hopper 3
That’s because DIRECTV uses a splitter (actually it’s a switch ) to send a signal to each receiver simultaneously. With a hopper, the signal goes to the hopper first and then relays to the Joeys and that’s why you have an echo when two TVs, one being the hopper are on the same channel.

The way to fix it is to go to the Joey, on your remote click options and then press number one for TV activity. Then select the hopper and click on watch live and it will join the hopper or mirror the hopper and you will no longer have that delay

Last edited:
Then select the hopper and click on watch live and it will join the hopper or mirror the hopper and you will no longer have that doorway
Huh? What doorway? If this is auto-correct for "delay", that's quite the mess up for your auto-correct!
Pardon my ignorance. But what is a JK4? Do you have a Joey 4 (and H+) by any chance?

Reactions: charlesrshell
That was supposed to say delay, stupid iPad.
Ah yes. Perhaps you were using voice dictation. My sister on her iPhone and me on my Android phone had fun texting each other via voice a year or so ago. Both dictation features kept making hilarious mistakes which occasionally even made sense. :oldlaugh

Ah yes. Perhaps you were using voice dictation. My sister on her iPhone and me on my Android phone had fun texting each other via voice a year or so ago. Both dictation features kept making hilarious mistakes which occasionally even made sense. :oldlaugh
Yep! I use voice almost all the time whenever I’m texting or posting on message boards with my iPad and I try to go back and scan everything for mistakes but they don’t always get caught

Hi everyone, new here. We recently got Dish hooked up at our house, previously had DirectTV. So we have a Sony TV 65" in Living room where the Hopper 3 is connected, then we have a small Samsung TV in our kitchen hooked up through the Componet Cables to the Dish Hopper 3. This is how we had Direct connected and we never had an echo problem before, but only had a Direct DVR H24.

Now since hooked up with Dish we are getting an Echo between the 2 tv's. Our Samsung TV in kitchen only has 5 componet hookups, but the new Dish Hopper has 6 and our satellite guy just left one of them unplugged, not sure which as I did not see. But we are getting this terrible echo between the 2 tv's when they are both on and never had this problem before.

Any help would be appreciated in getting this issue resolved as we keep having to mute the living room TV when we are out in kitchen to stop the echo.

Thank You
IF you are using the Hopper 3 all you need to do is put the Hopper on a channel then go to tv activity screen on the Joey and select that same tuner to share the mode. Then you can pause the joey and it will also pause the Hopper 3. Wait 10 seconds like 1001 to 1010 and then hit play and the tv stations on both receivers will play at the same time and no more echos for as long as you are in shared mode. It is called syncing your audio.

That’s because DIRECTV uses a splitter (actually it’s a switch ) to send a signal to each receiver simultaneously. With a hopper, the signal goes to the hopper first and then relays to the Joeys and that’s why you have an echo when two TVs, one being the hopper are on the same channel.

The way to fix it is to go to the Joey, on your remote click options and then press number one for TV activity. Then select the hopper and click on watch live and it will join the hopper or mirror the hopper and you will no longer have that delay
Thank you for your email and explanation. But we do not have a Joey for the kitchen tv, because just a short distance from living room. We only have the Hopper 3 in Living Room and then connected to kitchen tv through component cables, 50ft, run in basement and up wall. Would there be anyway to still fix it without the Joey??
A lot of times when changing channels in the Living Room, the message comes up to switch to live TV when we were watching live TV, just switching channels.

Thank you for your email and explanation. But we do not have a Joey for the kitchen tv, because just a short distance from living room. We only have the Hopper 3 in Living Room and then connected to kitchen tv through component cables, 50ft, run in basement and up wall. Would there be anyway to still fix it without the Joey??
A lot of times when changing channels in the Living Room, the message comes up to switch to live TV when we were watching live TV, just switching channels.
Also we had the same setup when we had Direct TV, just one DVR H24 with the component cables attaching the 2 tv's but never had the echo.

Your 65” Sony TV is receiving the audio through the HDMI cable. Your kitchen TV is receiving the video through the 3 component cables and your audio through the left and right stereo output cable. Go into Settings on your Hopper3 and select Audio Settings. Turn Dolby Audio off so your TV is only using stereo. That May eliminate the echo since both TV’s will be using stereo.
If you are only watching the Sony 65” TV you may want to turn Dolby Audio back on.
See if this fixes the echo.

Your 65” Sony TV is receiving the audio through the HDMI cable. Your kitchen TV is receiving the video through the 3 component cables and your audio through the left and right stereo output cable. Go into Settings on your Hopper3 and select Audio Settings. Turn Dolby Audio off so your TV is only using stereo. That May eliminate the echo since both TV’s will be using stereo.
If you are only watching the Sony 65” TV you may want to turn Dolby Audio back on.
See if this fixes the echo.
Thank you for the information. I forgot to put in the mix that for the Living Room where the Hopper 3 is we have a Sony Soundbar also. But again, we had the same set up when we had Direct TV and never had the echo on the kitchen TV with the Soundbar connected in Living Room.
So would we still go into settings on the Hopper 3 and turn Dolby Audio off? We usually only have both TV's on like in the morning and then again at dinner. But now wondering if we got a Joey in the kitchen/dining area if that would resolve the echo?? We didn't feel we needed the Joey because just a short distance from the 2 rooms and not running the 2nd tv all the time, why pay for a Joey when hardly using, but if it would resolve the echo I guess it would be worth it not to have the echo problem??

Yes in the morning do the following on the Hopper3
1) Hit the Home key 2 times
2) Select Settings
3) Scroll down and select Audio
4) Turn off Dolby Audio
This will make both TVs use stereo and should eliminate the sound delay on the one TV.
When you are only watching the Large Sony TV you will want to turn Dolby Audio back on for better audio.

Last edited:
2) Select Settings
4) Turn off Dolby Audio
This will make both TVs use stereo and should eliminate the sound delay on the one TV.
When you are only watching the Large Sony TV you will want to turn Dolby Audio back on for better audio.
Thank you very much!! We did this earlier today and that seemed to take most of the echo out. I think our Sony Soundbar still has the Dolby set on it, but we always had that on before with Direct and never had the echo, so we are leaving that Dolby on the Soundbar. Just so happy to get rid of the echo! Again, thank you very much!

2) Select Settings
4) Turn off Dolby Audio
Hi again,
I am back with the same problem as before, as we now upgraded our old Sony 65" TV to a new Sony 65" XR 65A80K. The echo is back, UGH! We have the Dish Hopper 3 in Living Room with a Sony Soundbar. The kitchen has a Samsung small tv with the 3 component cables hooked up to the Dish Hopper 3. I went in like you had said before to the Dish Audio Settings and checked the Dolby that it was still off and it was. So now we have the really bad echo back. We never got a Joey for the kitchen because we just watch the same channel when eating in there and actually got another dish remote and that works in the kitchen to change channels if we need to from the living room Hopper.
But just need to get rid of the echo, not sure if on the TV, even though we are using the Sony Soundbar? Help again please!

took me while but understand what was ment by echo, after reading most thread i realized audio delay is what they where talking about.. turn off other tv when your watching the other... and there will be audio delay. for same reason why when you call radio station live they tell you turn sound off on radio there would be audio delay.

Sound bar could easliy be added audio delay it unlikely to be play audio as it was sent. also Fios/Dish/cable they all have audio delay special when it once box controller all the boxes, even if they where all separate receivers on each tv, chances are they audio is not gona be in sync with all the other tv. Even when I had Seperate solo dvr for dish for 4 diffrent tv, no tv/receiver the 4 were not audio sync'ed they all had different delays

Then you have one hooked up via hdmi which 480i to 4k depend on tv which is DIGITAL signal, which i assuming is hooked to main tv. then you have component/composite hooked up to another tv which 480i to 1080p as i dont think component goes higher then that, which ANALOG signal all this can added up to audio delay, most people arnt gona care about audio delay difference between 2 different tv, most lonly care audio sync up with video, which why most AV Reciever had audio delay options dont think there many tvs that have such options cause would not be issue in firstplace You also cant compare Direct tv to Dish hardware wise or setup wise as there not identical.

you options are most likely Turn off other tv when in kitchen or vis versa or look for audio delay options on your tv (if available) or sound bar. Even if you get joey to attach to h3 your gona have have some sorta audio delay even if same tuner is being viewed on both h3 and joey, it will be just minimize as opposed both viewing different tuners but same channel. there is also possible it "could" all be synce but I would not bet on it

I have my joey connect to my TV via HDMI and composite audio running to my wireless headphones transmiter and the 2 are not synced it very noticable either, but again is not issue cause i not listen to audio from tv and headphones at same time or have need to hear audio from 2 diffrent tvs are once.

Thank you, but when (dweber) told me back in July when we had switched to Dish with the Hopper to go into settings on the hopper and turn off the Dolby THAT TOOK AWAY THE ECHO! We had a 6-year-old Sony 65" tv at the time. Now we got a new Sony 65" tv, everything else is the same except the new echo between the 2 tv's is back and the dolby is still turned off on the hopper. We also have the Sony soundbar in Living Room.

We do not have a Joey in the Kitchen because just just next room, which is why sharing the same hopper, living room has the HDMI and kitchen has component that is run in basement ceiling and up kitchen wall. So here is what happens, many times we are in living room with tv on and then one of us goes in kitchen and turns tv on while preparing dinner, hence the echo. In fact when we go into kitchen/dining area to eat, we have a second dish remote that can change the channels out there. It is a small house which is why we didn't see the need for a Joey in dining room area.

I am sure there is a setting somewhere, either in Hopper 3 or new tv or soundbar to stop the echo, just not quite sure where to find it to make it all sync.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)