echostar 11 launch update from sea launch

hmmm...

went back to Scott's post from back in May about the 2 new sats. here is the post.

Since he hints that NEITHER is named ECHOSTAR (and we know that one is AMC-14) what is the other?
I think he suggests that at least one isn't named Echostar.

If EchoStar 11 was the intended satellite launch, then this means a delay of a few months for the MPEG4 service.

E* has ways of creating enough bandwidth to add new national HD channels that appear during those few months:

- Replace all MPEG2-HD receivers remaining after 8/15, and then convert remaining MPEG2-HD channels to MPEG4-HD. This is likely anyway, because HBO is going to MPEG4-HD and E* will want every HD customer to be able to subscribe to HBO.

- Continue to tell the Shopping/Fishing Channels to stuff it, which would provide enough space for 3 new national HD channels.

- If necessary, remove a handful of PPV channels (E* has done this before during periods shortly before satellite launches).

NOTE that many of the so-called "new HD channels" are going to be upconverted versions of the SD channels in 4x3 that are being created as "place holders" so that the channels get included in the HD lineups of D*, E* and the major cable providers (if you want an example of this, record some of A&E-HD during day time hours). Outside of HBO and Discovery, I would not expect to see much real 16x9 1080i programming on new HD channels until Spring 2008...

IF you keep reading in the FCC document on page 3 or 4 it says that the new Echostar 11 will free up both Echostar 6 and 8 at 110 w for other efficient deployment at other orbital locations. Why can't they use these two in conjunction at the new slots for mpeg 4? How about use the two at either 86.5 or 97 and the newer leased satellite at the opposite location giving you the new mpeg 4 service. THe birds are already up there is what Scott said right?

If EchoStar 11 was the intended satellite launch, then this means a delay of a few months for the MPEG4 service.

E* has ways of creating enough bandwidth to add new national HD channels that appear during those few months:

- Replace all MPEG2-HD receivers remaining after 8/15, and then convert remaining MPEG2-HD channels to MPEG4-HD. This is likely anyway, because HBO is going to MPEG4-HD and E* will want every HD customer to be able to subscribe to HBO.

- Continue to tell the Shopping/Fishing Channels to stuff it, which would provide enough space for 3 new national HD channels.

- If necessary, remove a handful of PPV channels (E* has done this before during periods shortly before satellite launches).

I agree, keeping up at this point means getting everyone on mpeg4.

Yeah well maybe Scott can clear things up some. But in the long run I think things will be fine. It will be nice when you don't half to use the 129 to get HD. Yeah which everyone should go MPEG4 and get off the old stuff which the sooner they do the better things will be for them. :)

Yeah well maybe Scott can clear things up some. But in the long run I think things will be fine. It will be nice when you don't half to use the 129 to get HD. Yeah which everyone should go MPEG4 and get off the old stuff which the sooner they do the better things will be for them. :)

I think we'll all be glad to see 129 go.

Just a quick point; E11 is going up via Sea Launch, right? Let's not forget a rather spectacular launch failure on their last launch in January ;)

Quoting from Sea Launches site:
The Sea Launch team is proceeding on schedule with all repairs and recertification of the Odyssey Launch Platform and associated launch support equipment. In September, we are expecting delivery of the Thuraya 3 communications satellite, which we will prepare for integration with a Zenit-3SL rocket. We plan to resume launch operations in October.

So the 2008 launch (if it's Sea Launch) is likely accurate -- but the push back is due to the launch platform issues; not E*.

Cheers,

I just hope that Cheap Ass Charlie buys launch insurance.

We all know that Charlie has had issues with insurance companies in the past (i.e. the claim on E4)

We also know that the last few launches have been "self-insured"

Launch accidents happen from time to time.

Hate to say this but if the new MPEG4 service is delayed and meanwhile D completes their plans on schedule I'm going to be sorely tempted to switch. If I lived in a part of the country where 129 was fairly reliable it would be a different story. Don't intend to go into a spiel about 129, but suffice to say I am past tired of dealing with it.

I have decided Charlie flat out lies and knows he is lying in situations like this. Case in point; When the 622 was released Charlie said there would be 50 markets with HD locals by years end. Well here we are almost 18 months later and we are around 30 in HD local markets. Now I would say he was just overly optimistic if they had achieved 40-45 markets but *E missed what Charlie said by almost half. I am sorry but Charlie has access to all the information necessary to know what is realistic and what is not. Charlie had to know when he said there would be 50 markets with HD locals by years end that this was just not a realistic goal. Same is true of these satellite launches. Charlie had to know if they would realistically be able to launch this year or not when he announced it, if they launch in early January I will say he was overly optimistic. If they launch in April Charlie is a liar.

I have decided Charlie flat out lies...
Maybe, maybe not, but more likely, he simply doesn't have hands-on dealings with this "lower" level stuff. He's the CEO ! He's not in charge of programming or what satellites they're scheduling to launch or what features will be added to a receiver and when. I mean, do people think he processes our bill payments, hires employees for the company cafeteria, writes code, etc, etc ??

He may know about a plan for "something" and then comment about it (6) months later based on what he was told previously. Lots of things can change in (6) months and he can't really keep up with everything.

Not much one can do when a satellite launch fails and sets back all the other launches. I am sure that Echostar would not want to be the first launch after a failure. Better to have someone else test the launch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts